Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What would you say are the holes we need to fill next year

vanillasue is offline Registered User

What would you say are the holes we need to fill next year

I am looking at these priorities with our first 4 picks.

OL - Bradford was under relentless attack this year. I am almost at the point where both first round picks should be used here.
    Safety - We need a statement player back here - Not getting it done right now.
    Big time RB ? - If the team insists on establishing a running presence then they should draft like it.

If we get the Redskins pick high then we should trade down and get another 1st or 2nd - then we have even more flexibility.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: What would you say are the holes we need to fill next year

Don't need to draft a RB. we have plenty of young guys. Why waste a pick when both Zak Stacy and Cunningham are getting it done. I say an OL and corner early on.

citr92 is offline Registered User

the main holes we need to fill also, in turn, create holes for running backs to run through

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    I am looking at these priorities with our first 4 picks.

OL - Bradford was under relentless attack this year. I am almost at the point where both first round picks should be used here.
    Safety - We need a statement player back here - Not getting it done right now.
    Big time RB ? - If the team insists on establishing a running presence then they should draft like it.

If we get the Redskins pick high then we should trade down and get another 1st or 2nd - then we have even more flexibility.

While I would agree that the secondary and offensive line are probably the two biggest areas of need, I think you overstate the ineffectiveness of the O-Line. They did not perform that poorly this year and in fact even had some good games.

And we have to (dare I say it) once again consider a receiver. I don't see one guy on our current roster that gives me great confidence in coming back next year as a bona fide playmaker other than Austin, who despite his explosiveness has a ways to go to be considered a prime receiving target. The last 4 games will paint a clearer picture.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-03-2013 at 07:10 AM.
    Rambos, viper, Varg6 and 3 others like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think if anything we need a veteran presence at safety. The reason our corners keep playing off is to give the safeties better coverage deep.

The corners played much better when given a chance to face up to their man. Jenkins has been doing quite well with pressing guys like Marshall and Boldin. It's just disappointing that the hard work he does gets forgotten when they line up in the slot and catch a pass in an open area between zones and increase their stats.

I think OL would be a good place to draft a guy or two. A first round tackle and maybe a high round guard.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

Our biggest holes on both sides are S and OL but Jeff Fisher has never spent a 1st round pick on offensive lineman. If we end up re-signing Saffold we wont need to spend our Redskins top 5 pick on a lineman and Safety can be addressed picks 15-32 ( Kenny Vacarro, Matt Elam, Eric Reid and Jonathon Cyprien all went in that range last year.)

We could end up targeting someone like Alabama's Safety HaHa Clinton-dix with our second pick (currently #17) He plays the Centerfield role for Alabama's defense and has ball hawk tendencies. Pairing him with TJ McDonald would create one of the youngest tandems of dynamic Safeties in the league.

We should draft to our Strengths. We have THE BEST 4-3 DLine in the NFL and our scheme lets them rush the passer while our Secondary drops back into zone. Better talent in the back end of our defense will give the D line more time to rush the passer and turn Robert Quinn's 1 sack 2 hits 8 hurries game in week 12 into a 5 sack performance.

What we do with our Top 5 pick is completely up in the air. A team might fall in love with a QB in our position and trade up with us stocking our roster with even more young talent again. We could use that pick to draft another Stud on defense and make our Defense one of the youngest and most dominant units in the league. Our front office might fall in love with a guy and get what they think is the best player available.

Since the new collective bargaining agreement trades in the 1st round have become a lot more common and both years one of the biggest trades in the draft have included us. Having 2 1st round picks is a huge amount of currency that gives Jeff Fisher and Les Snead lots of options. Whatever they end up doing I have faith in their decisions
    RamDez, Rambos, Bar-bq and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    While I would agree that the secondary and offensive line are probably the two biggest areas of need, I think you overstate the ineffectiveness of the O-Line. They did not perform that poorly this year and in fact even had some good games.
    Yeah, our offensive line has improved dramatically. Clemons is staying (mostly) upright, and Stacy is running through enormous holes. That's not to say it can't be improved, especially with some contract uncertainty coming up this offseason. Our FO should prepare as if Saffold is leaving, and probably as if Dahl won't return. That leaves a couple big holes to fill.

My top needs for the team this off season, in no particular order:
    OT, OG, FS, CB.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

And we have to (dare I say it) once again consider a receiver. I don't see one guy on our current roster that gives me great confidence in coming back next year as a bona fide playmaker other than Austin, who despite his explosiveness has a ways to go to be considered a prime receiving target. The last 4 games will paint a clearer picture.
    It seems everyone is pretty much in agreement with our needs. Although our O-line has certainly improved, our depth is questionable. Tackle and guard most definitely. I would love to see us acquire a huge nasty guard along with a solid tackle. Not necessarily in that order.

With regard to drafting a receiver, there certainly is room on our roster for another wideout. As to where he might be drafted, I have no clue.

If a really good linebacker is available to us (say in rounds 1 through 3), I'd say we should take him as we have little or no quality depth at the position.

Les and Fish seem be good at finding value in later rounds which is why the draft seems more exciting since they've been on board. It appears that no team hits on every single player year in and year out. That said, Fish/Snead deserve pretty high marks so far.
    mde8352gorams and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Like Maui and Shower I definitely agree with your priorities. Your point about a WR resonates loudly after this past weekend. I would add OLB to your list as I think we can upgrade at the position over Dunbar who is a FA after the season. He is OK, but given some of the talent avialable in this draft we may want to strongly consider it. I'm sure Jeff and Les are all over it. Another spot to consider is DT. Langford has improved over last year, but he's getting more money than I think he's worth and the decision will be to restructure or walk away, if you ask me. In the secondary its the FREE SAFETY spot. We need someone in centerfield who can help out the CB's when dealing with Anquan Boldin or Percy Harvin plus others like Megatron or Julio Jones. Janoris and Trumaine are coming along nicely, let's give them some added support.

Lastly I agree with everyone's point about the O-Line. I just think the need is more on inside rather than the tackles and Saffold could go a long (no pun intended) way toward resolving that matter. Given that, drafting early means that we may pass on Matthews and draft a guard/center later in rounds 2-4. Even if we take Matthews, where do you place him? We are all quick to put a tackle at guard, but can he play well there? If you put him at RT what do you do with Barksdale, who has done a good job and stayed healthy. I would love to have Matthews, I just wonder how he fits. Jake's concussion may have a role in that decision too.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

I would have no problem at all drafting Matthews and sending Barksdale to the bench.
    If they keep a top 5 pick (which I don't think will happen anyway) and pass on Matthews I think the organization would regret it in a couple of years if Jake Long can't go anymore.

Also, I don't think there's any way that Saffold sticks around to play guard, and I don't know that I blame him. If he'd rather play tackle there's probably a team that will pay him to do it.
    ManofGod likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Potential holes:
    Safety, nickle CB, OLB, LG, C.

That's a pretty small list compared to 2 years ago.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    I would have no problem at all drafting Matthews and sending Barksdale to the bench.
    Why would Barky have to go to the bench? Matthews (if he's as good as he's being bandied about to be), should be able to fill in at RG, RT, LG, or LT. He could be groomed to play guard or tackle as a rook. Saffold? I hear you. I have no clue what will happen with him. Well maybe I have a little clue .. If someone wants to give him LT money, he will obviously be an ex-Ram. As you say, I wouldn't blame him either. The NFL isn't exactly a 30 year career for most players. J. Fisher, J. Elway, Ozzie Newsome and a few others have managed to morph from players to successful coaches/GMs etc., but it seems that's more the exception than the rule.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Can we first start with the coordinators before getting into players? Seriously, look how a change in Defense Coordinator made in New Orleans--that's a complete 180 there.

But yes OL would be the 1st fix, second WR core needs an upgrade. TA got a lock as a slot receiver...Cook, the can-do-it-all at TE--haven't been to impressed with Givens this pass season; either he needs help on the end of the formation, or he simply isn't that good.

Considering the depth of the NFC-West, and seeing what New Orleans done this last Monday Night game against the Seagulls. Even though, it was a loss I liked what New Orleans did with at Safety or should I say SAFETIES. The idea of matching physical with physical has an appeal. Stop Gore or Lynch and you render half their playbooks useless.

Regardless, the Rams have to matchup on a par basis with what is happening within the division. The NFC-West has become a division based on attitude, physical dominance, and toughness. The trick is for the Rams is to match and best what the rest are doing.
    live4ramin likes this.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I think majority of us agree that it's S, CB, and OL. That's my order. I don't think the O-Line is atrocious but it could be better. We definitely need safety and cornerback help. You can never have enough corners.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think depth on our O-line is pretty crucial, as we continue to see with each new injury. Matthews may end up starting at Guard if we draft him, but could possibly spend time at either tackle position too, depending on who goes down. That would be a tremendous asset to have in our corner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast