Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What would you say are the holes we need to fill next year

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Re: What would you say are the holes we need to fill next year

It's very likely that both Dahl and Saffold will be gone next season. Have no problem with 2 OL in the 1st, but our secondary is definitely an issue.

Rambos is offline Registered User

It's hard to really know what our O line will look like until after free agency.

Free agents
    Rodger Saffold
    Shelley Smith
    Chris Williams
    Tim Barnes

Wells and Dahl may need to redo their deals to stay.

Looks like we have a lot of decisions to make prior to the draft.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    I am looking at these priorities with our first 4 picks.

OL - Bradford was under relentless attack this year. I am almost at the point where both first round picks should be used here.
    Safety - We need a statement player back here - Not getting it done right now.
    Big time RB ? - If the team insists on establishing a running presence then they should draft like it.

If we get the Redskins pick high then we should trade down and get another 1st or 2nd - then we have even more flexibility.
    I don't know where any of you guys get that the O-line has not played well this season. In my eyes, they've played as well as any unit we've put on the field this year.

Why do you think Bradford played as well as he did before getting injured. It certainly wasn't because he has an incredible ability to avoid the rush. After Fisher put a true 3 down RB in the starting lineup and focused on running the ball often and effectively, the running game took off.

The only reason to have any doubt about this unit is age and injury, IMO. Certainly not because they haven't played well.

That said, my philosophy is the same as the head coach's record as it relates to drafting O-linemen with 1st round picks. I don't see it unless your O-line is absolutely atrocious, which we are far from.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    It's very likely that both Dahl and Saffold will be gone next season. Have no problem with 2 OL in the 1st, but our secondary is definitely an issue.
    I could see the Rams drafting one OL in the 1st round (especially if Matthews is still available), but I'd really think we'd be unwise to double-dip on OL when the Rams have so many other positions of need to fill like CB, Safety, and WR. We drafted Barrett Jones last year and I think next season he will finally be healthy enough to contribute. We can also try to build our line up through FA, where there are some good players available.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I don't know where any of you guys get that the O-line has not played well this season. In my eyes, they've played as well as any unit we've put on the field this year.

Why do you think Bradford played as well as he did before getting injured. It certainly wasn't because he has an incredible ability to avoid the rush. After Fisher put a true 3 down RB in the starting lineup and focused on running the ball often and effectively, the running game took off.

The only reason to have any doubt about this unit is age and injury, IMO. Certainly not because they haven't played well.

That said, my philosophy is the same as the head coach's record as it relates to drafting O-linemen with 1st round picks. I don't see it unless your O-line is absolutely atrocious, which we are far from.
    The line has played well this year. But look at our current depth chart. Our starting LG, RG and our backup C and backup G are all free agents. Barksdale and Dahl are signed through 2014. Meaning at the end of next year the only linemen on the roster right now signed beyond next year are Jake Long and Barrett Jones, Jake Long and Scott Wells. There is an obvious need to address the line for the future. With the injury status of Saffold, Dahl and Wells OL must be addressed.

Saffold is likely going to be paid by a team to be at worst a RT its not very likely that we are able to retain him to play RG for less than a RT payday. Dahl has been OK but he's injury prone and a very high priced veteran. Wells is just like Dahl only signed for another year. Williams, Smith and Barksdale have all done great since we signed them after they were cut by their drafting teams for under performing. Wouldn't have a problem with all of them coming back but it's not likely we're able to retain three free agent linemen in Saffold, Smith and Williams. Throw on top of that the two aging, injury prone over priced veterans in Wells and Dahl and I don't see how we cannot address the OLine in the draft.

As we've seen in the past two drafts Sneed is a fan of double dipping at a position to as he says "turn it from a weakness to a strength fast". A starting RT and a guy who might not start but could step in fast at a G spot makes a lot of sense.

Now to address this notion that Fisher doesn't put a premium on using high picks on linemen. It's really hard to say this based on the Houston/Tennessee draft history when the line he took over as head coach had three first round picks, a second round pick and a third round pick starting. Both his starting tackles and his center were first round picks. The oldest of the tackles was a third year vet. The center of course was the great Bruce Matthews. So he came in started with a great line drafted with high picks and was able to back fill them with young guys drafted in mid round and developed. The notion that he doesn't prize high picks on the line might be factually accurate but it's obvious he benefited from starting his tenure coaching with a great line who's lowest pick was a guard taken with the 79th pick.

In no particular order

RT- Barksdale has been good but if Fisher has a chance to draft Bruce Matthews son I think it's a sure bet.
    G- Dahl is old, expensive and injury prone and Saffold is likely gone in FA
    QB- Somebody young to develop behind Sam
    CB- Tru has been very good, JJ is a risk taker who gets burned and makes big plays, just not this year much. Finny is over priced and hurt. I could see a high pick used on a cb.
    FS- We'll see what McDonald gives us the rest of the year but somebody else back there with him is a must.
    DT- Rotational depth or an upgrade from Langford, who's been inconsistent imo.
    OLB - Possibly. Dunbarr is a free agent bout could be had back at a reasonable price. Fisher likes Ray Rays ST contributions and he could get a shot next year.
    If the right guy is there I could see a pick used on a WR. I'd love Mike Evans or Jordan Matthews.

All this depends on free agency and who we try to retain and who we part ways with. Still the youngest team in the NFL and we could retain that title next year for a third in a row.

Truth is offline Registered User

We need to work on the O-line. If nothing else, we need depth. But Sam is going to need lots of protection if he is to remain healthy. I wouldn't mind seeing another BIG, strong defensive tackle. We've been gashed at times. I'm talking a Vince Wilfork type tackle. We could definately use defensive backfield help (most teams can). Some of my draft desires will depend on where we pick, and who is available at that time. Trading down is OK, IF there's value at the position you trade down to. I don't believe in trading down too far from the position you were in.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

lostsoul is offline Registered User

OL, DB, and Either Marqise Lee or Sammy Watkins.
    Brett Hundley Bandwagon 8/24/2014

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

We don't need an RB we have two capable RB's with Richardson as a 3rd. McDonald will be fine at safety. What we need is a true No1 Big WR. We have great receivers but no 1. A 1 will open up everything for everyone else. We need a big physical CB and to sure up on the offensive line. It's safe to say our first pick will be a WR we'll use our other number 1 pick to get more picks. which means we'll move down or out of the first round.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing another BIG, strong defensive tackle. We've been gashed at times. I'm talking a Vince Wilfork type tackle. We could definately use defensive backfield help (most teams can).
    Interesting line here - I could warm up to this idea as I agree our DL has not been as dominate in stopping the running games that I had hoped for, but guys like Wolffolk are rare and are used more in a 3-4 scheme. Maybe draft another big guy in the 2nd or 3rd to go with Brockers and co. Just a thought.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Looking at what is in the NFC-West, the 49whinners & Seagulls Run, run, and run.

First they are line heavy to support the run on offense and linebacker heavy to stop the run on defense. Its simple formula, win the battle up front and let the rest of your team make the difference. Seagulls difference maker is their secondary where as the 49whinners opt for an offensive solution to be the difference maker.

The Rams need power on the o-line to suck 8 men in the box against Seattle with a power run game so they can stretch the field over the top. However, having looked at the 49whinners, you spread them out in coverage and hit them with the underneath pass and run. Those are the formulas other teams have used in the Seagulls and 49whinners losses.

So YES to all the above...Bradford has to be better protected, but on the same token the Rams need a huge push up front to blow holes for the run game. But also the Rams really need Safety help to close against the run and provide that OVER the TOP coverage to close on WR to deliver hits and ball strips. With the NFL rules favoring offense's passing game, its better in the long rune to force opponents to throw over the middle and punish WRs for making a catch while covering the outside edges.

With what the Rams can draft, they can get 2 out of 3 requirements unless they really go deep in FA. Personally if I had a vote I'd try and trade the Washington pick down and try and get draft picks to build depth along those lines
    Vinnie25 and vanillasue like this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Seven areas of need:
    OT
    OG
    DT
    S
    WR
    OLB
    Back-up QB
    Randart likes this.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

One thing i think we need to start doing is matching our best CBs up with the other team's best receivers. I don't think in the first half Jenkins has given up a catch, and the pass interference was dubious. But Johnson and especially whoever plays nickel (Pointer or McLeod) are getting killed. Jenkins should line up in the slot when Fitzgerald does.

That or get a better nickel corner

The OLine was not good in any way shape or form today. Not that many Rams were but they got beat all day long. The DLine was just about as bad. Granted I think the LT still has a piece of Quinns jersey in his hand. I'd say we have four areas of big need. OLine, a run stuffing DT next to Brockers, Safety help and a big #1 WR.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Can we draft our own officials?

Until we can find a way to get the officials off our backs, only a miracle of God (see Capt Kurt) will give us the players to have a winning season.

gap
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast