Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: what is your biggest concern about the 2012 rams?

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: what is your biggest concern about the 2012 rams?

I'm not concerned about anything yet. Not in April. Since the season has ended we've blown out everybody that isn't a player and replaced them with new blood. We've dumped some of the over-payed players, restructered a contract and I would assume there's more to come of both as the Rams continue to shape their roster for 2012. I don't expect a miracle turn around in 2012 but we'll have to watch actual games before we see what holes still remain and what our biggest concern is. So far everything is on paper. That's impossible to judge.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'm not overly concerned about anything. I trust Jeff Fisher and his staff will get the most out of what we have, and we'll be a better team because of it. I don't expect playoffs this year, but I do expect a much more competetive team.

I love the draft and the approach of Jeff Fisher and Les Snead as it relates to it. Just what the Dr. ordered as far as I'm concerned, aggressive and not afraid to take chances. A monumental change from the previous regime that helped us through the worst period in this once proud franchises history.

Love the Jenkins pick most of all, in spite of the scrutiny surrounding his apparent "character concerns".

Here's to displaying your vast athleticism Janoris, while being the sh**bird (according to NJ Ramsfan1) that you've been throughout much of your college career.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm worried about impatient fans.
    FestusRam likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Injuries, hold outs and behavioral issues.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

i don't know why you guys think the O-Line will be a problem.. we are switching back to the WCO where saffold and Smith did alright in.. Jason Smith seems like he's gonna do better next year IMO.. Quick will give us a deep threat/red zone threat.. Our Defense is gonna be amazing.. front 4 is amazing.. and our secondary got even better with Jenkings/Finnegan/Fletcher/Johnson!!!!

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

If we were playing in McDaniels offense from last year, I would worry about the OTs and the WRs.

But I think Schottenheimer isn't McDaniels. He won't force the players to adapt to his system, he will tailor a system to fit the players he has. He won't force the 5 and 7 step drops and make the OTs have to block for long periods of time on their own. He won't force the WRs to learn complicated route packages. He will make sure we get guys like Quick and Givens on the field and contributing. I also think he will help Lance Kendricks relax by making things simpler for him.

Why do I think this?
    Well first because I think Schottenheimer is better than what you may believe from his time in New York. He had to deal with an unruly mob of players because Rex Ryan wouldn't control the team. And he had to deal with a QB that would barely listen in meetings. Seriously, just watch that series of Hard Knocks with the Jets. It's embarassing how Sanchez didn't take things seriously.

And secondly, because Jeff Fisher won't let him. Fisher will make sure Schotty runs an offense that helps this team win. I believe Fisher is the type of HC that will prefer to only have three plays that the offense knows and executes well compared to having tons of plays that the players are unsure of.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Biggest concern would probably be the Brockers pick. I am not a huge fan of the pick, and feel that we should have gone another route (Ex. David DeCastro).

I hope he proves me wrong, but he is a big project defensive tackle. What concerns me is that he isn't consistent when dealing with double teams, and will get shut down a lot of times. In the BCS game against Alabama, undersized William Vlachos (6'0, 290lbs) contained Brockers pretty well most of the night sometimes with some help from the left guard, and sometimes without the left guard. The left guard also fared well when left one-on-one against Brockers.

Brockers is a much better run-defending DT than pass rusher, and I'd like to see a more pass rushing DT on our line. We already have a solid run defender in Kendall Langford, but we still need a penetrator.

Hope this kid develops like how we want him to and becomes dominant, but time will tell.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Biggest concern would probably be the Brockers pick. I am not a huge fan of the pick, and feel that we should have gone another route (Ex. David DeCastro).

I hope he proves me wrong, but he is a big project defensive tackle. What concerns me is that he isn't consistent when dealing with double teams, and will get shut down a lot of times. In the BCS game against Alabama, undersized William Vlachos (6'0, 290lbs) contained Brockers pretty well most of the night sometimes with some help from the left guard, and sometimes without the left guard. The left guard also fared well when left one-on-one against Brockers.

Brockers is a much better run-defending DT than pass rusher, and I'd like to see a more pass rushing DT on our line. We already have a solid run defender in Kendall Langford, but we still need a penetrator.

Hope this kid develops like how we want him to and becomes dominant, but time will tell.
    Langford is our penetrating pass rushing DT, and we needed a bigger bodied DT who could play the run, hence the Brockers pick compared to someone like Fletcher Cox

Trevor is offline Registered User

My biggest concern is our opposition. Not that I'm worried about them!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Can Brain Quick grasp our offense as quick as his name coming from a D-II school?
    Quick went to a D-I school.
    Quote Originally Posted by nj
    We've cast our chips with three guys (Givens, Quick and Jenkins) who though talented, went to small schools and did not play against superior competition on a week in week out basis.
    Givens played in the ACC. Jenkins played in the SEC.
    Quote Originally Posted by nj
    Other receivers were rated ahead of Quick and Givens in the rounds they were selected on many draft boards
    Whose boards? Kiper? McShay? random internet fans? Because they weren't higher on the Rams board.
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-30-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Quick went to a D-I school. Givens played in the ACC. Jenkins played in the SEC. Whose boards? Kiper? McShay? random internet fans? Because they weren't higher on the Rams board.
    I have 3 draft magazines on my coffee table. Not one has Quick being the 1st receiver picked in round 2, nor did anyone I heard on TV. One of the ESPN guys yesterday (forget which one) when talking about 1st and 2nd round picks characterized him as a "pick of concern" regarding his ability to make the type of impact the Rams need in a receiver. Obviously, the Rams regarded him highly, and hopefully Fisher knows something we don't.

Appalachian State isn't a school that lines up against great competition on a week in-week out basis. And while playing at a smaller school certainly doesn't mean you're not a good player and won't succeed, concerns about the weekly caliber of play from your competition is a legitimate question.

Jenkins' body of work came at Northern Alabama, no?

I stand by my concerns about this draft. While I do not regard it as poor by any means, I do not share the same enthusiasm many others seem to have. And I'm gonna' be one pissed off fan if Jenkins' track record of trouble surfaces here.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have 3 draft magazines on my coffee table. Not one has Quick being the 1st receiver picked in round 2, nor did anyone I heard on TV. One of the ESPN guys yesterday (forget which one) when talking about 1st and 2nd round picks characterized him as a "pick of concern" regarding his ability to make the type of impact the Rams need in a receiver. Obviously, the Rams regarded him highly, and hopefully Fisher knows something we don't.
    Those magazines are not very accurate due to the time when they are published. For example, Lindy's was published before anyone ran a 40, so they estimated times (and based their rankings, at least in part, on those estimates). They estimated Quick at 4.63. He ran in the 4.5s. They estimated Givens at 4.52. He ran a 4.39. So, I'd say everyone knows something today that the writers of those magazines didn't know.

Appalachian State isn't a school that lines up against great competition on a week in-week out basis. And while playing at a smaller school certainly doesn't mean you're not a good player and won't succeed, concerns about the weekly caliber of play from your competition is a legitimate question.
    The same questions were asked about Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens, so if you choose to be hopeful, there is certainly precedent to support your hope.

No.

I stand by my concerns about this draft. While I do not regard it as poor by any means, I do not share the same enthusiasm many others seem to have. And I'm gonna' be one pissed off fan if Jenkins' track record of trouble surfaces here.
    You seem to have crossed the line from "concerns" to deliberate pessimism. Good luck with that approach.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

hopefully Fisher knows something we don't.
    Being in the NFL for 30 years, he most certainly knows something we don't. Look, the Quick pick surprised me as well, but I certainly didn't have a private workout for that kid with Clemons and Brandstater throwing him passes. Fisher and Snead did.
    Appalachian State isn't a school that lines up against great competition on a week in-week out basis.
    Yes, it is. But you said there were 3 small-school players that didn't face high caliber competition (Quick, Jenkins, Givens). I agree on Quick. But Jenkins and Givens were both in major conferences.
    No. Florida.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Mel kiper jr in his final positional rankings had quick ranked #4 behind only blackmon, floyd and wright.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Brian Shottenheimer can help enormously by designing plays that get the ball out of Sam's hand quickly - very quickly. Last year there were two correctible issues that really hurt us IMO:
    Sam was interviewed on Ch 5 sports last night and he said the plays in minicamp were very similar to the plays run in 2010. Quick timing routes will likely be utilized far more this season. With the additional speed, that should help. The problem in 2010 wasn't as much the play calling but the lack of any explosiveness to break a play for 20+ yards. If you run a 7 yard route and the defenders aren't worried about the occasional long play, you get 7 yards. If you run a 7 yard route and teams are worried about Givens breaking a 30 yard pass play, you get 7 yards plus some YAC. It doesn't take much to turn those routes into productive plays.

Leading up to the draft people kept saying WRs don't run 40 yards in a straight line. They do if you can break a long play for a touchdown.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -04-30-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast