Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: what is your biggest concern about the 2012 rams?

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Re: what is your biggest concern about the 2012 rams?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have 3 draft magazines on my coffee table. Not one has Quick being the 1st receiver picked in round 2, nor did anyone I heard on TV. One of the ESPN guys yesterday (forget which one) when talking about 1st and 2nd round picks characterized him as a "pick of concern" regarding his ability to make the type of impact the Rams need in a receiver. Obviously, the Rams regarded him highly, and hopefully Fisher knows something we don't.
    How many of those guys had Warner as a first round pick? What round did they have Warner selected for? How about Brady, or Welker, Victor Cruz? I am not saying Quick will be an All-Pro, but sometimes guys get missed by those worshipping the larger schools.

Appalachian State isn't a school that lines up against great competition on a week in-week out basis. And while playing at a smaller school certainly doesn't mean you're not a good player and won't succeed, concerns about the weekly caliber of play from your competition is a legitimate question.

Jenkins' body of work came at Northern Alabama, no?

I stand by my concerns about this draft. While I do not regard it as poor by any means, I do not share the same enthusiasm many others seem to have. And I'm gonna' be one pissed off fan if Jenkins' track record of trouble surfaces here.
    I am sure we all will be upset if Jenkins doesn't learn lessons from the past, but sometimes you have to forgive someone's past to allow them to become a better person. I am sure the RAMs FO did an adequate job of interviewing the young man.

gap

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Quick went to a D-I school. Givens played in the ACC. Jenkins played in the SEC. Whose boards? Kiper? McShay? random internet fans? Because they weren't higher on the Rams board.
    I'm watching that draft segment again as I type. it was McShay that felt Quick was a "reach". He said "Sam Bradford needs a weapon NOW, and although Quick has size and presents a big target, he will take quite awhile to learn to adjust to this level of play, in his opinion.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

If McShay or Kiper or anyone not working for an NFL team new as much as they claim... they'd be working for an NFL team. They aren't.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    If McShay or Kiper or anyone not working for an NFL team new as much as they claim... they'd be working for an NFL team. They aren't.
    Maybe, I'll bet they get paid more working for ESPN.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    How many of those guys had Warner as a first round pick? What round did they have Warner selected for? How about Brady, or Welker, Victor Cruz? I am not saying Quick will be an All-Pro, but sometimes guys get missed by those worshipping the larger schools.
    But Brady wasn't taken until the 6th round and the others weren't even drafted so obviously no NFL team had them rated very high either. The difference is that Quick was the 33rd pick in the draft.

Truck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Maybe, I'll bet they get paid more working for ESPN.
    Yes, far more.

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    But Brady wasn't taken until the 6th round and the others weren't even drafted so obviously no NFL team had them rated very high either. The difference is that Quick was the 33rd pick in the draft.
    You sort of make my point. The supposed draft experts in the media had the same or better opinion of Quick as they did for those I mentioned. So they could miss here as well.

gap

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

One can't agree with Kiper, McShay and others only when it best suits their purposes. They either have a pretty good idea of what they're talking about, or they don't.

They're guys with opinions like everyone else, but many of them- Kiper especially- do countless hours of research on these guys and take the draft seriously, so to be dismissive of their views is foolish.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

One can't agree with Kiper, McShay and others only when it best suits their purposes. They either have a pretty good idea of what they're talking about, or they don't.

They're guys with opinions like everyone else, but many of them- Kiper especially- do countless hours of research on these guys and take the draft seriously, so to be dismissive of their views is foolish.
    I'll admit Quick is the only pick I'm unsure about, but it might not have been as much of a reach as some in the media think. Plus most rankings had Chris Polk as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. NFL teams obviously didn't think so.

Feb 26 - 12:33 PM
    Appalachian State WR Brian Quick's two unofficial forty-yard dash times at the Combine were 4.48 and 4.53.

Quick isn't Stephen Hill, but he's got impressive speed for a 6-foot-3 1/2 and 220-pound wide receiver. While some draftniks believe he'll be a mid- to late-round pick, the NFL is higher on Quick than the media. He has a legitimate shot to go in the top 50, and today's performance will help his cause
    Apr 11 - 4:56 PM
    ESPN's Mel Kiper has moved up Brian Quick of Appalachian State to his No. 4-ranked wide receiver in the 2012 draft.

Quick, whom Kiper called a fourth- to fifth-rounder after the Senior Bowl, is now behind only Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Kendall Wright in Kiper's rankings. Stephen Hill of Georgia Tech is fifth. NFL teams have been high on Quick's game tape for a while. It appears Kiper is now catching up

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Going by Kiper's comments there, could it not be considered that we got a bit of a steal by getting the drafts 4th best receiver with the 5th receiver taken?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

My biggest concern is Shottenheimer. I wasn't in favor of this hiring and I'm in the wait and see mode. Our offense was terrible last season so Shott has no where to go but up?! He better prove to me that I'm an idiot for questioning his hiring!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm watching that draft segment again as I type. it was McShay that felt Quick was a "reach". He said "Sam Bradford needs a weapon NOW, and although Quick has size and presents a big target, he will take quite awhile to learn to adjust to this level of play, in his opinion.
    For virtually every pick in the draft, you can find an "expert" who will tell you that the the player taken was a "reach" or a "steal."

Instead of quoting some commentator as if he is somehow the ultimate authority, I'd rather you give your opinion and tell us how you reached it. Of course, I doubt you have the basis for any opinion on a guy like Quick, as his games were not on TV.

In the end, we are all entitled to our opinions, but when you start saying things like "I'm right because Todd McShay said so," or something of that nature, you're really not adding anything useful or interesting to the conversation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123