Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

What are your thoughts on S. Jackson

Here are mine. I really like the guy and here comes the but.......
    it seems he's missing something I just can not put my finger on it. He does alot of great stuff he runs with power, has break away speed, and rarely puts the ball on the turf.

He's definetly a good running back but something he lacks keeps him from being a great running back.

Maybe, I've been spoiled with Marshall Faulk and my expectations are too high.

Go Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What are your thoughts on S. Jackson

He doesn't make that one move that gets him to the end zone. Marshall used to turn short gains into homeruns (TD's). Jackson is a better than average back just hasn't shown that Homerun swing yet.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I agree with you CH, i love this guy. My concern with him is he runs to tall, to straight up, & it really shows on short yardage. With his power if he got down and used some leverage with his great power he would be a bigger force on goal line & short yardage. My other area of concern is his footwork when he hits the line, though he does seem to be getting better.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I have also always agreed with the statement, "there's something missing". ...and now I think I've seen what the "missing" piece is.

Before I watched the Chargers game in person, I couldn't put my finger on it, because all I've seen to date was what the TV camera showed on the old boob tube. Angles are deceiving on the tube, and I know that many on this board have accused Steven of "dancing" too much and not getting to the hole quick enough. I've been one of them. After seeing it in real time, from a good endzone angle, I can say without hesitation that he definitely doesn't always hit the right hole, nor does he hit it as quickly as he should.

On several occasions last Sunday, I saw holes open up that he just plain missed. The holes you get don't stay open for very long, and the great backs are adept at seeing it, hitting it, and breaking through. Jackson doesn't always do that. He has a bad tendency to plow up to the line, practically riding a blockers back, then dances laterally, looking for the hole that has long since closed, and gets no gain. He missed a couple of huge holes, and many of us in the stands all saw it and made instant comment about it. I know we had the added advantage of a little altitude, which Steven doesn't get, but he's just not seeing and hitting the hole quick enough, plain and simple. Something MF and ED were very good at. He tries too often to bounce something outside, when the gap is inside. You really see it when you get the proper angles at the game, at least I did.

Just my observation.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

On several occasions last Sunday, I saw holes open up that he just plain missed. The holes you get don't stay open for very long, and the great backs are adept at seeing it, hitting it, and breaking through. Jackson doesn't always do that. He has a bad tendency to plow up to the line, practically riding a blockers back, then dances laterally, looking for the hole that has long since closed, and gets no gain. He missed a couple of huge holes, and many of us in the stands all saw it and made instant comment about it. I know we had the added advantage of a little altitude, which Steven doesn't get, but he's just not seeing and hitting the hole quick enough, plain and simple. Something MF and ED were very good at. He tries too often to bounce something outside, when the gap is inside. You really see it when you get the proper angles at the game, at least I did.

Yeah he does not hit the hole very fast. I did see last week SJ I believe he caught a swing pass and got into the secondary going full speed down the sideline. I was really excited to see him at full speed in the open and then as a DB comes up to make a play on him he just goes out of bounds. I was puzzled, I thought for sure he would knock this guy back five yards or try and make a move back into the field of play. He just went out of bound like he was satisfied with the gain, not sure what he was thinking.

Does he have one more year on his contract?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Positives: Fast (especially for his size), powerful runner particularly on the few occasions he keeps his pads low; big strong hands -- rarely fumbles, also is a good receiver coming out of the backfield.

Negatives: Lacks great vision -- doesn't see the hole -- is not instinctive in that regard as was Marshall. As RamFanRH pointed out he often runs away from holes as they develop. Runs straight up like a sprinter which nullifies his power and makes it easier for opposing defenses to bring him down. He could take some lessons from Stephen Davis on hitting the hole; and when the hole isn't there stay low and do his best to move the pile.

One thing that might help the overall performance of our running game would be the addition of smaller "make you miss" back with great speed. Fred Russell looked promising during the pre-season, but he wasn't playing against first team defenses when the games were for real.

Scott Linehan didn't draft Jackson, and unless his performance improves dramatically over the remaining games, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams spend a high pick on a running back in the 2007 draft should one be available.

The coaches can coach Steven up when it comes to running low and hard with his pads down, but I don't think you can coach "vision" ... Either you have it or you don't -- just like great speed ...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think he's coming along. He's cutting down on the negative runs and becoming pretty dependable for 4-5 yards every time he gets the ball, but he does seem to be lacking when it comes to that "home run swing" so to speak. Some guys seem to be a threat to go all the way every time they touch the ball. Jackson not so much. I don't know if it's a matter of vision or acceleration or just hesitancy. He is going to need to break out more of those explosive plays if he wants to reach the level of those special players like Faulk or Dickerson. That said, I am pleased with his play so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    I was really excited to see him at full speed in the open and then as a DB comes up to make a play on him he just goes out of bounds. I was puzzled, I thought for sure he would knock this guy back five yards or try and make a move back into the field of play.
    I did think that was strange. With his speed and power, you'd think he'd relish the opportunity to turn a nice run into something for the highlight reels.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I think he is too hesitant at the line he seems to stutter as he gets to the line

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

SJ is what he is, a good, dependable back that will get you 3-5 yards a crack the majority of time. What SJ is not, is Mr. Faulk or Eric the Great. Unfortunately, guys like MF and ED come around once in a blue moon, and us Ram fans are a little spoiled in that we've had the absolute pleasure of watching those two great backs play with our Rams. We tend to expect that kind of production in our backs, and unfortunately, our bar is a little high. Steven is good enough to make our running game respected, but not feared. ...and perhaps that's good enough.

Now if we could just solve the defense's problems.....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    I think he is too hesitant at the line he seems to stutter as he gets to the line

Pete I totally agree..he hesitants to much instead of hitting that hole with confidence....I do agree hes better this season and when hes in the open... hes a load...BUT!!!

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    Here are mine. I really like the guy and here comes the but.......
    it seems he's missing something I just can not put my finger on it. He does alot of great stuff he runs with power, has break away speed, and rarely puts the ball on the turf.

He's definetly a good running back but something he lacks keeps him from being a great running back.

Maybe, I've been spoiled with Marshall Faulk and my expectations are too high.

Go Rams
    If Jackson would hit the holes, no matter how small, he would have greater success. He wastes time and yards by dancing in the back field; he needs to trust his blockers.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

It boggles my mind but Rams fans continue to treat Jackson like a rebound lover. Sure, they're willing to take Steven home with them, but in the heat of the moment, they're yelling out "Oh, Marshall!!!"

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Thankyou ramfanraiderhater!!! You hit the nail right on the head, most of us fans have been watching MF and ED(although I never got to see dickerson ) but most of us fans re spoiled and I really think that SJ is coming along
    Built RAM tough

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I think he is an average back. Nothing that separates him from the pack.

He wastes his size by running to tall.

He waste his speed by not hitting the hole when it is there.

He spends too much time dancing in the backfield instead of hitting it in stride.

On the plus side. He really has become a good blocker and great hands out of the backfield. But that is not what we need, sad to say.

I wish Lawrence Mahroney would have been Jackson 2 years ago. Now that is a going to be an all around complete back with in a year.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It boggles my mind but Rams fans continue to treat Jackson like a rebound lover. Sure, they're willing to take Steven home with them, but in the heat of the moment, they're yelling out "Oh, Marshall!!!"
    Well, at least they want to take him home. Before the season, it seemed like they wanted to kick him to the curb. The mantra then was "shut up and produce", and he has, but I guess that's still not good enough for a back that led the league in rushing and all-purpose yardage for most of the season.

When I see a lack of effort or heart, then I'll have a problem with Jackson.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast