39thebeast is offline Registered User

Whats the deal with Fakir Brown

Apparently he is going on "vacation". I don't know exactly what that means, but it could mean alot. Are we looking for a replacement? Is he getting suspended?

General Ram Guest

Re: Whats the deal with Fakir Brown

per rotoworld. on Brown

Cornerback and wide receiver also are areas where the Rams are exploring options in free agency. At cornerback, they were hoping to land free agents Drayton Florence of San Diego and Jacques Reeves of Dallas. But within the first 48 hours of free agency, Florence signed with Jacksonville, and Reeves went to Houston.

Both signed big contracts, particularly for players who were primarily backups in 2007. According to the Florida Times-Union, Florence's contract averaged $6 million a year and included $12 million in bonuses. Meanwhile, the Houston Chronicle reported that Reeves' five-year deal with the Texans averaged $4 million a year.

With free-agent choices dwindling on the cornerback market, the Rams might have to switch gears and explore a trade. In fact, Philadelphia cornerback Lito Sheppard could be on the way out now that the Eagles have signed New England free agent Asante Samuel to a contract averaging nearly $10 million a year.

It appears that the Rams are looking for cornerback help because of concerns about the long-term availability of Fakhir Brown. Brown missed four games at the start of the 2007 for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Another violation could lead to a one-year suspension.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Lito Sheppard is still available for a replacement.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I was really hoping we'd get Florence. He was good in SD (saw it in person ) and was only reduced to backup because the guys in front of him were amazing IMO

But Lito would be good. I really like Bartell though, hoping he gets to elevate to a starting position this year.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Florence is a solid yet unspectacular cornerback IMO. He would have been a nice addition to the secondary, but ultimately not at the price tag he commanded ($36 million over six years, $12 million in bonuses). Depending on the asking price, Lito Sheppard would be a quality addition as well. The fact that Brown is one failed/missed test away from a year's suspension is troublesome.

Keenum is offline Registered User

One more positive drug test and he WILL get that one year suspension, I'd be worried to about getting some more depth behind him.
    Tye Hill should be back, and hopefully ready to have a break out year. I really like Jonathan Wade and hope he can turn in to that #2 CB.
    Of course, we still have our fan favorite from the end of 2006 in Bartell as well, right? He was great as a NB, but struggled when forced in to that starting role.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Florence is a solid yet unspectacular cornerback IMO. He would have been a nice addition to the secondary, but ultimately not at the price tag he commanded ($36 million over six years, $12 million in bonuses). Depending on the asking price, Lito Sheppard would be a quality addition as well. The fact that Brown is one failed/missed test away from a year's suspension is troublesome.
    so do you see Shepard as a possibility or a pipe dream

TekeRam is offline Registered User

With Samuel now in Philly, and Sheppard being a slight bit injury prone, they are certainly looking to dish him. I don't believe that they'll move Sheldon Brown to safety for a second. As for the Rams' ability to trade for him, it all depends upon what they want. Devaney's not against trading picks, but I really hope he won't overpay. They have trouble keeping their running backs healthy, maybe we could trade Leonard to them. I'd hate the cap hit due to his freshly signed bonus, but it can't be that bad. With the rookie RB we got from the Saints last year doing well at the end of the season, he's a possibility as well. I don't see too much depth otherwise that they'd want.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    a pipe dream
    Wait... are you talking about Shepard or Brown? :x

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Nick, I agree about Florence. He is a solid nickel CB, but not worth that $ given the needs that we have. We are set at LB, even assuming Chillar leaves with Draft ready to fill that role. Draft a DL 1st day and go after a S to replace Chavous, who is basically done at this point. Tye Hill keeps improving and is our #1, while Brown is solid if not suspended obviously. Bartell is high risk/high reward gambling type corner. Wade could be good, but we need to address our #2 CB spot on day 1 of the draft.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    so do you see Shepard as a possibility or a pipe dream
    You'd have to assume he's a possibility. The Rams have shown interest in adding a veteran cornerback to their roster, and Sheppard is certainly available to be traded. The free agent market was never incredibly strong at corner - big drop off in talent after Samuel. The question becomes how the Rams evaluate Sheppard and whether or not he'd be worth trading for. I can't imagine trading anything higher than a fourth or a fifth or even some kind of conditional pick to get him though, given his inability to stay healthy.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd hate to think Hill is our #1 DB. He can't stay healthy and got toasted last year by Smith of Carolina. Remember that fiasco?

Brown outplayed everyone in our secondary, Wade got a baptism by fire and didn't hold up and Bartell just hasn't proved to me he's that good.

ramsfan38 is offline Registered User

Why would we want Lito Sheppard? When you look at the stats from last year Bartell's were pretty good (especially for someone who was asked to play +3 positions). If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that there was not one touchdown pass completed against him last year. If we shore up the Dline our corners will be fine with or without Brown. We need to address our inability to stop the run and a solid fourth corner, not a starter.

LinkBacks (?)

1. fakir
    Pingback This thread
    -03-15-2008, 09:18 AM
  2. -03-04-2008, 01:22 AM