View Poll Results: What's the key to stopping Vick?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use a "spy" to keep his long runs to a minimum.

3 8.57%
  • Blitz him, and then blitz him some more.

6 17.14%
  • Focus on outside containment to keep him in the pocket.

11 31.43%
  • Keep the ball out of his hands with ball control offense.

3 8.57%
  • Hit him early, often and hard.

12 34.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tanus is offline Registered User

Re: What's the key to stopping Michael Vick?

I wonder how the three down lineman scheme would work with Little playing a yard or so off of the line would work against the Falcons?

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how Marmie handles Vick this time around.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    And honestly, I wouldn't mind a roughing the passer penalty early in the game if it's going to keep him thinking about getting hit. That's probably not good to say, but still...
    Desperate times call for desperate measures, my friend.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

elAcky Guest

maybe the answer is none of these... i.e. just play our own game and we there is a good chance we come out on top

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Have Thomas and Pisa play a short zone, this will also help in stoping the run which is the birds mainstay on offense.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel Guest

prayer

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

In the words of the immortal Herb Brooks, coach of the 1980 USA Hockey Team:

"Play your game. Play your game."

elAcky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    In the words of the immortal Herb Brooks, coach of the 1980 USA Hockey Team:

"Play your game. Play your game."
    totally agree.... in the NFL, people are going to score on you and if you focus on one area then more than likely you will be burnt in another

Tailgage-Mayor Guest

I like the thought of playing 3 down linemen and having Little shadow Vic. Not sure if it would work, but is certainly makes sense.

Clearly we need to contain Vic, and one way is to prevent defensive linemen from pass rushing downfield past Vic, thus opening up the field for him to run. This implies that our defensive line need to rely on the bull rush, as opposed to the speed rush. Since our D line is a bit undersized, this means we will not be able to get pressure on Vic, which is fine with me.

Id rather put Vic in a position to beat us with his arm, as opposed to his legs. Hes a terrible passer.

denverram is offline Registered User

I think you just need to control the lines both offense and defense against the yard birds. As with all games the team that wins the battle of the bigs usally wins the game. Let Vick do his thing but control the line. If Bulger has time, ATL can not score with the Rams

Peace out :ramlogo:

daredevil25 Guest

What I would do-

Defensive line- I would only have a 4 man rush, the Cardinals used 5 and it worked pretty well, but I would use 4. Spread the ends out wide and have them play every down as if its a run. The DTs are the ones I'd ask to rush up field because Vick generally does not run straight up the middle (he's done it, but not commonly).

Linebackers- I myself would use more zone against Vick as opposed to man. Allow the LBs to play zone and alternate who spies Vick. I would also send a LB on the blitz occasionally, sometimes sending 2.

DBs- Mix up the coverages but mostly go into zone. I think the teams that played mostly man against us, didn't have the success of the teams that ran zone coverage and still blitzed. Personally I'd play either a Cover 2 or Cover 3 most the game with the CBs playing closer to the LOS.

I would also test our offensive line, because they are quite horrible in pass coverage. Blitzing up the middle and sending multiple blitzers on the edges has destroyed us this season.

Now going off the Rams personnel, I'd probably entertain the thought of a 5 man front and allow Little to go after Vick. Last time the Rams didn't blitz much and from all I've seen of them this season, they're still not. A 5 man front would still allow them to sit back in a zone and play our receivers, plus it still gives them the ability to stop Dunn and Duckett. The Falcons offense breathes by 4 players; Vick, Dunn, Duckett and Crumpler. Stopping the run for the Falcons is more important than stopping the pass, so I'd probably have the Ss creep up just outside the box. After all of that, if you still let Vick run wild, you're in for a long day. The downside to a 5 man line is that it requires a good rotation, and I'm not sure about the Rams' DL depth (by not sure, I have no idea how good/bad/okay it is).

P.S. As for the poll, I selected hit him hard and often. You do that, any one (and the combination) of those will be potent.
    Last edited by daredevil25; -01-12-2005 at 05:39 PM.

sprtsmac Guest

The best way is not to over plan. The Bucs do good against Vick because they don't change their defense against him, they keep playing aggressively not worried about giving up the big play. Because when you start worrying about the big play, that is when you are going to give it up. So I say throw some blitzes at him and play good aggressive football.

AugustaRamFan Guest

Whenever Vick runs - he needs to feel the pain. The pain should be administered often and repeatedly.

How you ask? Blitz some, but beware the screen pass to a rumbling Duckett......The Rams will need to flock to the ball. Sooner or later a player in pursuit will bust him, when Vick attempts to cut-back for a few extra yards. That will be Vick's undoing on Saturday.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Force him to pass the ball. He's ten times a better runner than thrower.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Force him to pass the ball. He's ten times a better runner than thrower.
    No doubt. Believe it or not, Vick actually has a higher yards per carry average (7.50) than yards per pass attempt average (7.21). That is essentially unheard of for a QB.

Another interesting stat for Vick, though...

He has 16 fumbles this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12