Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What's left to do in FA.

Here's how I'd break it down:
    • Running Back: The biggest surprise for me this weekend is that the Rams didn't take a RB. They met with at least 5 backs, and had chances to take several of them. I guess they either felt that the value wasn't there, or the visits didn't go as well as they had hoped. I'm sure there will be FA options for a backup to Jackson, but those will be short-term solutions. We'll be scouting RBs again next March.
    • Defensive Tackle: I'm not entirely shocked that the Rams passed on the DT spot. I presume that the Rams will try to re-sign Gary Gibson, and Darrell Scott is still under contract. I don't know if Clifton Ryan is part of the plan, but I have a feeling FA Barry Cofield may be. With the Giants taking Marvin Austin in Round 2, he should be available.
    • Linebacker: The Rams didn't address this spot until Round 7, so I think this will be another FA target area. James Anderson is one I like.
    • Wide Receiver: I don't see the Rams spending big FA dollars on a player like Sidney Rice now, and there's no point bringing in more No. 2/3 guys.
    • Offensive Guard: Are the Rams ready to move John Greco up to the starting lineup? Perhaps, but players like Davin Joseph could be looked at as well.
    • Safety: I suspect the Rams will be content to go with Dahl, Butler, Stewart, Hines and Nelson, but Quin Mikell might be worth a look if his price is right.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Re: What's left to do in FA.

I hope we aren't content at safety, to me this is the only area we can't get by at, with all other things unchanged.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

More than I expected. Or maybe just different. I expected us to draft more starters. DT, OLB and OL.

Hopefully we will have an agreement in place soon and we will know who is available.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I would sign
    Barry Cofield, DT, Giants- Would be a big money signing knows spag and they system would play well with Cofield just like he did in the past.
    Chris Chester, OG, Ravens- can play mutiple schemes solid but not spectacular in pass coverage and run blocking. Would start at RG
    Thomas Howard, OLB, Raiders- He is a raider and former safety has plenty of speed and range good in coverage. Burried on the depth charter so he will be a little cheaper.
    Joseph Addai, RB, Colts- good 3rd down guy both recieving and pass protection isn't a horrible runner, but is banged up alot. Would stay healthy

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

My biggest issue is still OG. We didn't touch the position but have several options in FA including Marshall Yanda, Justin Blalock, or Davin Joseph.

Barry Cofield is also really tempting. Him also thrown in on our D line is honestly just plain scary.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I would go DT Barry Cofield. The Rams have 3 free agent DT's that were on roster last year Gary Gibson, Clifton Ryan & Chris Hovan. Let those 3 go and pick Colfield.

OLB Manny Lawson strong side backer.

Last I herd the Rams have 3 free agents gaurds on last years roster Greco, Goldberg & Setterstom. Blalock or Joseph might be the way to go.

I sure hope the Rams phones were going crazey making phone calls to players they thought were not going to be drafted. No teams can call undrafted free agents after the draft is over.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I think manny lawson would flurish in this defence.. BC would be a great DT also him and fred robbins with long and quinn hehehehe I dig it

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Here is my wish list;

Barry Cofield- obvious Spags connection, and still young (27).

James Anderson- Flajole coached him for three years, albeit before he cracked the starting lineup. Young (27) and just starting to enter his prime.

Reggie Bush- This is actually my big money signing. I have thought about it, and believe he would add a much needed element of explosion to this offense. McD and Sam will have so much fun next year. He too is only 26.

I think Greco will establish himself as the starter at guard, and I believe Spags is content with our safety situation, they seem to really like Stewart and Dahl.

We shouldn't have to totally break the bank for these three, but I would be willing to do it for Bush at this point. They are all entering their prime, not over the hill or too young to know what they are doing. I think they will fill out our roster nicely, and we end up having an offense that rivals or surpasses NO's Super Bowl winning one.
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -05-02-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    James Anderson- Flajole coached him for three years, albeit before he cracked the starting lineup. Young (27) and just starting to enter his prime.
    YES YES!! I do want James Anderson.. DAYYYYYYYUMMM 130 tackles this year, he's not going to come cheap and I can only imagine Ron Rivera giving him a nice juicy contract unless he has a different direction in mind.

Mine from top to bottom (most wanted to least) is:

Barry Cofield - Imagine Cofield playing with Robbins, Long and Quinn? That would be scary and very dominant. We would have a top 5 defensive line.

Davin Joseph - A solid OG. Would improve our run game tons and open up many more holes for SJ39.

James Anderson - He Diggs, and Laurinaitis would obviously be very strong. This makes our front 7 deadly.

Reggie Bush - He will bring a new dimension into our offense. With him our offense would have some scary speed attached.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Honestly, if all we get is Cofield, I'd be fine. Anderson would be nice, but getting a strong DT would be even better. That's not saying I don't want Anderson, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    Honestly, if all we get is Cofield, I'd be fine. Anderson would be nice, but getting a strong DT would be even better. That's not saying I don't want Anderson, however...
    I feel the same way. Getting Cofield would make a terrifying defensive line. I wouldn't be against letting Jabara Williams start.

Keenum is offline Registered User

The only place I am really concerned about is offensive guard. I think if we can fix up the guard spot the running back issue will almost take care of itself... Jackson still has years left and I liked what I saw from Darby several times last year, although we still don't have that "lightning fast" RB. Also, Darby and Jackson are about the same age, so I'm sure the Rams will want a possible developmental guy soon.
    Don't forget that the line had very little push last year, and many of Jackson's toughest, most physical runs were for just 3-4 yard gains where he pretty much got those yards himself.

That's my biggest concern, and then I am interested to see what will happen at the safety position. I just hope we can find a good coverage guy to plug in at FS, especially since it looks like Spags wants to go with a bigger guy at SS.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

A decent guard would make a big difference, as would Jason Brown playing up to his contract.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

running back i'd like darren sproles or bush please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast