Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What's more important?

As the old saying goes. Football games are won in the trenches.

So which is more important for our RAMS?

The O-line?
    With the offensive weapons and extremely accurate QB that we have. A top 10 O-line and the sky's the limit for our offense. We could out gun the opposition?

The D-line?
    Really in my opinion last seasons defense allowed to many big run plays. Gaping holes in the D-line caused by lack of talent or over pursuit?

Obviously we need the trenches strong on both sides of the ball. If anything I feel like the O-Line is the key. We can win alot of shoot-outs with the offenseive weapons we have.

The Shredder Guest

Re: What's more important?

What's the one thing in common that all the good defenses in the NFL have?? They all have good Dlines. Good trench pressure frees up the LBs to make plays and getting to the QB will allow your CB's and secondary to cover less ground. Having a good Dline is VERY crucial in a zone cover2 scheme.

Offensively a very good Oline can do wonders to an offense. There are 2 reasons why the Colts offense is so good. One is because Peyton can change plays at the line and coach the game offensively on the field. The other and in my opinion is more important is that he hardly ever gets sacked. The protection he has most of the time is superb. Combine that with his ability as a QB and that offense is almost unstoppable at times. You can also look at the KC Chiefs. That 2002 Oline was one of the best Olines this league has ever seen. Trent Green is an average QB and is more of a system QB at best. KC never had any good WR's to throw to besides TE TonyG. The Oline provided monster holes for Priest Holmes and allowed Trent Green to stand back in the pocket and pick apart defenses.

This game is truly won in the trenches.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Indianapolis had a good defensive line? That's news to me. To the Rams, the offensive line is more important. The offense is the best unit the Rams have and you could argue that the skill positions on offense are better than any player on defense. I think when you have that much, time money and effort invested into the offense you need the foundation of that unit to be real good.
    The defensive line would be important if they Rams played a defensive game.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Indianapolis had a good defensive line? That's news to me. To the Rams, the offensive line is more important. The offense is the best unit the Rams have and you could argue that the skill positions on offense are better than any player on defense. I think when you have that much, time money and effort invested into the offense you need the foundation of that unit to be real good.
    Since when did I or anyone in this thread say that Indy had a good defensive line? It's not a bad line. They have one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and their defense turned it up bigtime in the playoffs enough to carry them to the SB. Defense won the game in BAL, not the offense.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Mike Martz is that you?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Shredder View Post
    KC never had any good WR's to throw to besides TE TonyG.
    I noticed this also: why couldn't the Chiefs ever find any decent WR's? You'd think that after Vermeil's time with the Rams he would understand the importance of quality WRs to stretch the field and all. BTW why wasn't Dante Hall of more help in the Chief passing game? And is he going to make many contributions as the Rams' 4th WR? Let's hope so.

WHAT SAY YE?

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    We can win alot of shoot-outs with the offenseive weapons we have.
    But winning a lot of shoot-outs doesn't get you very far in the playoffs; ala the 2000 season when we lost to the Saints in the first round. I think winning the trenches on the defensive side is more important. A solid defensive line sets up your whole defense and a good defense can shorten the field plus get the offense the ball back a lot more. So a short field with the offense having more opportunities to score with that short field, that is what a good defensive line can do for you.
    Sprtsmac :football:

39thebeast is offline Registered User

that phrase defense wins championships is bs. How did the colts win there run d was worse than ours. You have to go with the o line because without it your offense would break down, and with it there is no limit to what the offense could do

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    that phrase defense wins championships is bs. How did the colts win there run d was worse than ours. You have to go with the o line because without it your offense would break down, and with it there is no limit to what the offense could do
    The Colt defense made a complete turnaround and was playing lights out toward the end of the season and obviously in the playoffs. That enabled them to finally win a championship.

When I think about this question, I look at the fact that we had the 6th ranked offense last year and the 23rd ranked defense (31st ranked rush defense). How'd that work out? The DL is the lynchpin for the entire defense and dictates it's overall effectiveness. Something has got to give.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Mike Martz is that you?
    Mike Martz never cared about the offensive line, so it couldn't be him. Dick Vermeil?

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I noticed this also: why couldn't the Chiefs ever find any decent WR's? You'd think that after Vermeil's time with the Rams he would understand the importance of quality WRs to stretch the field and all. BTW why wasn't Dante Hall of more help in the Chief passing game? And is he going to make many contributions as the Rams' 4th WR? Let's hope so.

WHAT SAY YE?
    The problem with Dante Hall is that he's listed as 5'7. Ive seen him in public and I would even question he's even that tall. Hall is fast, but he's more quick than he is fast and his height prevents him from getting much seperation. Dante Hall had horrible hands and was too small to go across the middle without committing suicide. He also wasn't a natural WR. When drafting him out of TXAM he was a RB. If he sees anytime on the field I'd be surprised. Might get a catch or 2 a game. The more he is used on the field the more he is worn out and doesn't nearly produce as well on ST.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Did you even watch the Colts in the playoffs? The way their defense turned it around was like night and day compared with what they were in the reg season. The Colts won in the playoffs with defense thats for sure.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Mike Martz never cared about the offensive line, so it couldn't be him. Dick Vermeil?
    Didn't care so much that he drafted Alex Barron with the first pick in the 2005 draft? If you are talking defensive lines I will agree that both coaches don't know jack squat about scouting defensive talent. The drafts in KC under Vermeil just make me wanna cry. lol BTW your avatar is hilarious.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The problem with Dante Hall is that he's listed as 5'7. Ive seen him in public and I would even question he's even that tall. Hall is fast, but he's more quick than he is fast and his height prevents him from getting much seperation. Dante Hall had horrible hands and was too small to go across the middle without committing suicide. He also wasn't a natural WR. When drafting him out of TXAM he was a RB. If he sees anytime on the field I'd be surprised. Might get a catch or 2 a game. The more he is used on the field the more he is worn out and doesn't nearly produce as well on ST.
    Fortunately for us we won't need Hall do play offense much. Special Teams...

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Back to the original question, I think you need a better o-line than a d-line , but both have to be good. A slightly better o-line will score you more points, IMO.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast