View Poll Results: Spags grade after his rookie season?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

2 4.08%
  • B

11 22.45%
  • C

24 48.98%
  • D

7 14.29%
  • F

5 10.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What's our rookie Headcoaches grade for the 2009 season?

How would you grade Spags after his rookie season as our Headcoach?

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: What's our rookie Headcoaches grade for the 2009 season?

Just his rookie season I would grade a C. It was average from a coaching standpoint, there were mistakes and then there were great calls. We will have to see if he grows as a HC this year.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Ummm, F. But hay, look on the bright side, his rooky year is in the books. He has learned and has grown as a coach. Now that he has seen what the job is like and had a chance to get rid of the trash hanging around, I see better days ahead.

GO DEM RAMS

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It has to be an F. 1-15? Screams F. Hey, they didn't give me a pass on Calculus just because I couldn't understand the foreign teacher but that's what I was dealt with. Spags had to deal with what he was dealt just like everyone else in their jobs.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Where's "E" gone?

As has already been said, a 1-15 record doesn't merit anything more than an F. However, there were signs of improvement in our overall play and we kept close in most games. So I'll vote for a D for Spags.

Although I'd have gone for E had it been there!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Where's "E" gone?

As has already been said, a 1-15 record doesn't merit anything more than an F. However, there were signs of improvement in our overall play and we kept close in most games. So I'll vote for a D for Spags.

Although I'd have gone for E had it been there!
    I've been to a grade school that they didn't give out f's they gave out e's instead it was kinda weird.

I'm gonna probally be the only one that says A just for the fact that I love what they have been doing with the team. If u look at it as a whole instead of just 1 and 15. We did have some close games it wasn't all spags fault that we only won one game.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    It has to be an F. 1-15? Screams F. Hey, they didn't give me a pass on Calculus just because I couldn't understand the foreign teacher but that's what I was dealt with. Spags had to deal with what he was dealt just like everyone else in their jobs.
    Kind of apples and oranges there Tx. Just think what your grade would have been if I'd had to take your test for you .. Spags handed out the text books, but he couldn't wave a magic wand and make the students he inherited any smarter, any more than he could take the test for them.

I think the question of Spag's grade will be much clearer after this season. Now that he's brought in more players he wanted through the draft and FA, and gotten rid of the guys he didn't want, let's see what he can cook up for 2010 with the new ingredients.

A 1-15 record may merit the team an F (maybe an F+? - we did win one game!), but all things considered, I think most of us feel better about the direction our team is heading under its new leadership. I'm willing to give Spags a mulligan for 2009, but 2010 is another matter ..

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

The first grade that popped into my mind, although not one of the choices, was "incomplete." I think the other letter grades are inappropriate at this early date for a guy that was given a train-wreck and told to get it moving in the right direction.

However, having said all of that it is incumbent upon Mr. Spags to get this train back on the track ASAP. And this year it is important to make some good head way.

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We have to be careful to not fall into the trap of equating a football season with a course term. Yes, you get a grade at the end of a course; however Spags has not reached the end of his course.

So, I'll go with INCOMPLETE.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The question isn't how would you grade Spags as a headcoach. The question is how would you grade him as a rookie headcoach for the 2009 season. Nothing more nothing less...so incomplete doesn't apply to this poll, Sorry.

Sheeeeeeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Kind of apples and oranges there Tx. Just think what your grade would have been if I'd had to take your test for you .. Spags handed out the text books, but he couldn't wave a magic wand and make the students he inherited any smarter, any more than he could take the test for them.

I think the question of Spag's grade will be much clearer after this season. Now that he's brought in more players he wanted through the draft and FA, and gotten rid of the guys he didn't want, let's see what he can cook up for 2010 with the new ingredients.

A 1-15 record may merit the team an F (maybe an F+? - we did win one game!), but all things considered, I think most of us feel better about the direction our team is heading under its new leadership. I'm willing to give Spags a mulligan for 2009, but 2010 is another matter ..
    I felt better after I dropped the class and took it the second time. Look, there is no feely goody about coaching in the NFL. It's either win or lose. He lost. Last year. Grade F. Now, he gets to repeat the class. I mean last years play calling was terrible, and that falls straight on the coach.

F. For last year.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    We have to be careful to not fall into the trap of equating a football season with a course term. Yes, you get a grade at the end of a course; however Spags has not reached the end of his course.

So, I'll go with INCOMPLETE.
    This wasn't about a complete body of work, just last year.

F. No argument. Bad play calling, and we were damn lucky to get that one win.

F.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

hmmm....I'd say you have to call that first year more of a group project early in the course, rather than a final grade-worthy body of work.A time, in other words, to identify existing strengths and weaknesses. Most of the good stuff that happened last year was fixing the mess left behind by the prior group & DeSpags would get a solid B from me for that.I think they made mistakes; thinking they could get Cogs' head straight, developing the younger OLBs and RBs, the slower-than-hoped-for development of some picks like Scott and Greco for examples, but most of the decisions seem spot on to me with the advantage of hindsight. Does anyone think Holt, Pace, et al, would have contributed in proportion to their cost? I don't.

The next key points of assessment I'll be looking at will include, obviously, Bradford and whether going with two very green OTs to protect him was a good idea. Pretty bold stuff,imo.

If you're simply looking for a grade on Spags based on team performance, I think an F is pretty harsh. The coach didn't cause all those injuries nor force the many mistakes made by players. I'd even go so far as to say that,tactically, the coaches often put them in the right position to make plays & they didn't. And yet there seemed to be consistent effort and positive attitude overall which IS under the coach's control to a large extent,imo. A number of games went down to the wire & several would have been considered major upsets. The only game where I was really upset with Spags & co was the opener vs The Hags. I don't think that team was well-prepared mentally for the hostile environment & thoroughly embarrassed themselves. Which brings me to a final point of assessment that I'll be looking to for massive improvement; starting the season and individual games strong. Last year , I would have given an F for that, esp on offense.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'd give him a C+, despite the nasty 1-15 record, he did a helluva good job keeping a good environment in the locker room and he pretty much cleaned out alot of the roster to build a young team that was still trying to understand the system. He seems to have a better sense than our last 2 head coaches. I mean Martz had an explosive offense in mind but didn't keep the defense well intact (besides having Lovie Smith) and later on in the years made senile decisions and Linehan? OH GAWWWDD, drafting a midget CB with speed in the 1st round doesn't help at all!!! and to turn try transitioning Brian Leonard into a TE?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the list goes on.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I felt better after I dropped the class and took it the second time. Look, there is no feely goody about coaching in the NFL. It's either win or lose. He lost. Last year. Grade F. Now, he gets to repeat the class. I mean last years play calling was terrible, and that falls straight on the coach.

F. For last year.
    If it was that cut and dried he'd be fired by now. Spags didn't lose by himself, the team lost. Did anyone really expect Spags could make wine out of water? Remember what happened to Dallas when Jerry and Jimmy took over? That first year wasn't pretty ..

The honeymoon will be over if there isn't solid improvement this year. Most of us here are predicting between 4 and 7 wins this season. The highest win total I've seen from a so called expert is 6 so far.

Given all the injuries we had last year coupled with an overall lack of talent across the board, it's no surprise we had a lousy record. I have trouble heaping all that on Spags. I'll be happy to put forth a grade after the 2010 season though ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast