Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What's the point of the "Rams will be picking in top 5 next year" comments?

I'm already tired of those types of posts.

Look, I get it. I really do. The Rams have won 6 games in the past three years and have selected second, second and first in the last three drafts. From a pure "trying to predict the future from past events" standpoint, there is a rational basis to assume the worst.

But we're fans. This is supposed to be fun.

I fail to see how anyone could find it enjoyable to give up on a season four months before it starts.

If you want to find hope, there are places to look on this roster. There are a number of young players who have shown flashes and could emerge in the next year or two. The continuity with the coaching staff (which, I might remind you, was brand new last year) alone can result in positive strides.

I'm sure this post will be chastised as just another Av rant against the naysayers. That's really not my point. If you want to come here and say things like "the Rams will be picking first next year" I won't try to stop you (the worst you'll get is a little negative rep from me).

But, geez... when being a fan becomes a constant downer, what's the point of following the team at all?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: What's the point of the "Rams will be picking in top 5 next year" comments?

I feel the point of this post. It's these very things that have kept me away from the board. It's work drudging through all the sorrow here.

The fact that it goes away when we start WINNING, and then all the "fans" come out, makes it feel cheap to me ...

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I agree AV there's not much point to it. Its negativity just for the sake of negativity. some people are Jerry Springer cave dwellers who's lives are empty except for the drama and uproar they can achieve by being so ubiquitously negative, that it gets peoples attention. You know, people like Bernie.

But then again, there's not much point to a lot of the posts you'll find here on the Clanram. Wasn't there someone who just posted their Rams 2011 1st round pick here a few days ago....? ha! just kidding mate. cheers. don't let the haters get you down. its only a few threads to ignore...

theodus69 is offline Registered User

All i see is that this team has made some great strides this offseason and the draft. In two years we will be drafting bottom 5 picks, just watch and see.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    I But then again, there's not much point to a lot of the posts you'll find here on the Clanram. Wasn't there someone who just posted their Rams 2011 1st round pick here a few days ago....? ha! just kidding mate. cheers. don't let the haters get you down. its only a few threads to ignore...
    At least I had them taking a guy who'll probably go in the mid to late 1st round!

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

Some people just can't allow themselves to be optimistic for fear of disappoinment. It's a classic defense mechanism. Still doesn't make those naysayers wrong though.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield Rams View Post
    Some people just can't allow themselves to be optimistic for fear of disappoinment. It's a classic defense mechanism. Still doesn't make those naysayers wrong though.
    i will say i'm good up nutil week 4. but that crap is gonna change. i hope to see more games and look at the positives. I think we will be in the hunt to win the divsion this year and then do so next. That would be a good start being as this division could be won by a H.S. team.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield Rams View Post
    . Still doesn't make those naysayers wrong though.
    That's my point... yes it does.

A naysayer may be "right" in the sense that the team might fail as he or she expects them to do, but they are always "wrong" in the way they ruin today by insisting on predicting doom for tommorow.

This team just drafted FOUR very solid players in the first four rounds of the draft. Saffold had a first-round grade. Gilyard had a second-third round grade. The CB Murphy could end up being a starter here, he has most of the tools for Spag's system. If he had played at a bigger school, he'd probably been gone in the second round.

Seems like plenty of reason to be excited. If any team gets four very solid players out of a draft, they are excited. There is no guarantee they'll pan out, but looks like this group has some solid pros in it ...

This isn't even counting anything taken after that, which includes some guys with major potential ...

Being down and depressed about our squad at this point is sad. Just sad ...

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I tend to agree with you Av. It also bothers me because it gets to a point where you aren't even having new conversations, every negative thread is basically the same arguments over and over again...which is rather non-contributory (I'm not sure that's a word, but I'm a historian, I'm allowed to invent words) and results in quite a few people getting tired of being here.

I can understand fear that the team will keep playing poorly, I really can, but I can't understand just repeating the same argument over and over again like you have to convince everyone else that life sucks as a Rams fan just because you think it does.

Now I know the people who disagree with your post are going to come out and say: "I'm not negative, I'm just a realist" but honestly most often the term "realist" is in fact a self-congratulatory pat on the back for feeling smarter than other people.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think what is the most frusturating to me, when reading the posts about the draft, is how people are so CERTAIN that our picks are going to flop, and their better ideas for how the front office should have drafted. It's certainly ok to have a differing opinion, but to say with confidence, (before a single minicamp, preseason game, anything of substance has happened) that a player is going to bust and that we should have taken a different player, is just nonsense.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I would understand the naysayers better if....

We had the same ownership the last few years, the same coach the last few years, the same people making decisions the last few years but it as been a steady stream of people in and out the revolving door.

The problem with throwing around only 6 wins in three years is there is not just one person to blame.

In fact I would say the main reason we sunk so far was are instability.

The ironic thing is most of the naysayers are promoting instability by walking Spags half way down the plank and telling him it's now or never. After only one year.

Is Spags and Devaney finally the right combo to make it work. I think so but only time will tell... but I'm willing to wait and see.
    Last edited by Rambunctious; -04-28-2010 at 02:05 PM.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I agree AV, while I think it may be a little over the top to think this team will make the playoffs, there are alot of reasons to be excited to be a Rams fan right now. Devaney and Spags appear to moving this team in the right direction, adding players in areas that are needed without giving away the farm or mortgaging the future of the teams draft picks on one or two FA picks. The thing I think everyone needs to remember is this team is a "work in progress", lets face it if we win 5-6 games this year that's one hell of an improvement over where this team has come from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The greatest posts of them all are the ones that say "I can't believe the Rams drafted Jack Blowhard, we could have had Jim Studwacker or Rock Bonebreaker with that pick. They are much better players. GAH! I can't believe we passed them up."

This, knowing that you have not even the tinest fraction of info that the coaches and front office does ...

MACD is offline Registered User

I feel that the football gods will smile on the Rams this year...not saying playoffs, but pleasant surprises along the way.

Btw, when does the "2010 Season" begin on the website?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast