Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's the point of the "Rams will be picking in top 5 next year" comments?

I have no problem with that distinction.

Personally, I still think its too early to make any meaningful prediction regarding wins and losses for 2010. Ultimately, I will do so, and I don't expect that I'll be predicting that the Rams will go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl. That said, I will certainly make a prediction that reflects and expectation of tangible improvement.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardRamsFan1381 View Post
    look im a big rams fan and have been for year. i cant really complain about the stupid post people put up cause im one of them. i just dont see how people now can tell fans of a certine team they should not post stupid threads. i mean i see some stupid treads on here. i mean i understand that its a forum to talk about their favorite team with other fans. i mean giving negitive rep to someone cause they post a thread you think is stupid is just plan dumb. i know who ever reads this is gonna look at my rep and say somethin stupid cause ive got bad rep. but when did become being a fan of a team mean you always have to agree with everything they do. i get last year was their first year with spags but so was the lions,bucs,jets,broncos i mean it was all their first years with those coachs and they didnt do as bad as the ram minus the buc and lion. but they still won more games then us. im sure ill get some negitive rep but who cares really how can random people basically say how much of a rams fan you are.
    I don't think this thread is about stupid posts. I write as many stupid posts as I do (somewhat) intelligent ones, but I think the issue most people are having is over the constant Debbie Downers who are making incredibly bold predictions about the inevitable failures of our team, without an ounce of evidence to support them. For example, "we did poorly drafting the last few years, therefore Sam Bradford will be a bust. Also, I liked Suh better."

I think for some people, it's confusing to see how these type of people would get anything out of supporting the Rams, or any team, if they fail to see how much fun it is to root for them. When every single post is about how the Rams will somehow fail, it's just not fun to read about or be around.

So continue to post stupid things, and I will too. But most importantly, have fun supporting your favorite team!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

This team hasn't had any stability in years . And that could be a lot of the problem. The FO looks good and when this teaam finally gets it's real owner , you should see a big change. And it started with this draft!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

TheRammer Guest

Man I think we have a chance of going 8-8 this next year hopefully we can. I know this might be hoping to much out of our young team but we have alot of potential! Plus a favorable schedule.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm already tired of those types of posts.

Look, I get it. I really do. The Rams have won 6 games in the past three years and have selected second, second and first in the last three drafts. From a pure "trying to predict the future from past events" standpoint, there is a rational basis to assume the worst.

But we're fans. This is supposed to be fun.

I fail to see how anyone could find it enjoyable to give up on a season four months before it starts.

If you want to find hope, there are places to look on this roster. There are a number of young players who have shown flashes and could emerge in the next year or two. The continuity with the coaching staff (which, I might remind you, was brand new last year) alone can result in positive strides.

I'm sure this post will be chastised as just another Av rant against the naysayers. That's really not my point. If you want to come here and say things like "the Rams will be picking first next year" I won't try to stop you (the worst you'll get is a little negative rep from me).

But, geez... when being a fan becomes a constant downer, what's the point of following the team at all?
    Optimism and Pessimism are one in the same. I guess to much of one or the other does get old. But I will say this, Optimism does not create change, if there is one needed that is. Pessimism can and will create change when needed. But you are right in the sense that I and others have been to much on the other side of Optimistic. Well lets WIN and we will all be Optimistic.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I have stated that we will be picking in the top five again next year and I dont feel I'm being negative for the sake of being negative. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I see the team making strides to become a better team. I think saying we will be picking in the top five is just realistic. Now if your posting it and everything else in your post is negative like our picks suck our coaches suck our new qb sucks then you might be Debbie Downer. I see this team going in a very good direction and while I would really love to see us win more than 5 games next year I'm ok with another year of struggle because I realize we are rebuilding. Rebuilding takes time, however my expectations for Spags 3rd year will be pretty high. We should at least be playoff bound that year because a lot of the peices to the puzzle will be in place. So while I do think we will be picking top five I'm not really saying that in a negative way and realize that's just part of the process.
    Just Fix It

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

BEER, pessimism creates no more change than optimism. Pessimism I'd argue creates less change because, though it can enbolden some who take such things to heart, the majority of people will buy into the pessism and no longer have the drive to improve or get excited. Optimism can embolden the spirit into believing that things are possible again. With the Rams, optimism for the future is what has guys like Donnie Avery and Victor Adeyanyu changing their diets and gaining that extra muscle to fuel a better season. Don't tell me pessimism did that.

If i'm in a foxhole i want ta leader who believes that we can live through the fight, rather than a guy who has duties thrust upon him and is clearly scared shi*less...

WE CAN WIN

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I approach every new Rams season as if this is going to be the year. Any other way is just no fun and pointless as far as I'm concerned.

Seems to me that there is just too much information these days. Fans seem to want to be highly informed and more knowledgeable with team internals, and therefore more accurate with their predictions. I just don't have the time or desire for all of that. I often wonder how so many here, who write tens of thousands of posts, find the time. It's almost as if it's their freaking job or they have no other life.

Anyways....

I think this talk of being an optimist yet a realist and predicting 4-6 wins is not only void of fun, but to me, it's almost as depressing as the outright pessimist. Ah, but perhaps it is logical and the mature approach to being a fan. Whatever it is, it's not for me. I'd rather approach my Rams upcoming season with high hopes and grandiose dreams of success. That's the same way I've looked at it every year since I was a young child, some 40 years ago.

Perhaps, when it comes to being a fan of my Rams, I just never grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    BEER, pessimism creates no more change than optimism. Pessimism I'd argue creates less change because, though it can enbolden some who take such things to heart, the majority of people will buy into the pessism and no longer have the drive to improve or get excited. Optimism can embolden the spirit into believing that things are possible again. With the Rams, optimism for the future is what has guys like Donnie Avery and Victor Adeyanyu changing their diets and gaining that extra muscle to fuel a better season. Don't tell me pessimism did that.

If i'm in a foxhole i want ta leader who believes that we can live through the fight, rather than a guy who has duties thrust upon him and is clearly scared shi*less...

WE CAN WIN
    Its a balance. You have to have both. You can not be one sided here, are you? Yes optimism is good, but only to a point. Its that point that some people cant grasp. Matt Millen would still be the Lions GM by your point.
    Im not sure if you get that or not, but it is what it is. And you are 100% right if we are on a winning team, but we are not.
    Last edited by BEER; -04-30-2010 at 04:45 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Good post Av. At least these boards have much less negativity than some others, but it does get old to drudge through the same posts that have nothing new to add except how awful the team is. Great, got it, was pretty obvious. I like to hope for the best, an eternal optimist with my teams. I get my heart broken a lot, but I'll never change.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The greatest posts of them all are the ones that say "I can't believe the Rams drafted Jack Blowhard, we could have had Jim Studwacker or Rock Bonebreaker with that pick. They are much better players. GAH! I can't believe we passed them up."
    The worst is people who go ape over 6th and 7th round draft choices, as if the fate of the franchise hinged upon them. Really, it's the second to last pick in the draft and they are upset we passed over a massively talented guy (1st round talent, could have gone #1 over peyton probably, right?) who makes it to free agency anyway.

I can't count the number of draft "graders" (media included) who say they like the Rams 1-4 choices, but rounds 5-7 drops the draft like a rock. Really? 5-7? Were you honestly expecting to instantly fill starting holes in any of those rounds? Boggles my mind.

Go with Av's suggestion people, sit back and enjoy it. Watching and playing sports should be about having fun, not having a cardiac episode over a late round pick.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm known on here as the "grump" for lack of a better word but I'm pretty much a realist in my opinion. The last few years have been absolutely void of talent outside of SJ so I can see the pessimistic attitude. Then. We are getting more talented by each draft and I do believe this year we shall see improvement. Problem is....the Seahawks and whiners also had great drafts so if anything it's going to be fun.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

tx there is a difference between being incurably sarcastic and being a grump =).

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    tx there is a difference between being incurably sarcastic and being a grump =).
    Well....we tend to be labeled as nihilists. So I guess there is a difference.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Well....we tend to be labeled as nihilists. So I guess there is a difference.
    um Peoria what the heck is a Nihilists? I googled it nothing

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Good post Av. At least these boards have much less negativity than some others, but it does get old to drudge through the same posts that have nothing new to add except how awful the team is. Great, got it, was pretty obvious. I like to hope for the best, an eternal optimist with my teams. I get my heart broken a lot, but I'll never change.

The worst is people who go ape over 6th and 7th round draft choices, as if the fate of the franchise hinged upon them. Really, it's the second to last pick in the draft and they are upset we passed over a massively talented guy (1st round talent, could have gone #1 over peyton probably, right?) who makes it to free agency anyway.

I can't count the number of draft "graders" (media included) who say they like the Rams 1-4 choices, but rounds 5-7 drops the draft like a rock. Really? 5-7? Were you honestly expecting to instantly fill starting holes in any of those rounds? Boggles my mind.

Go with Av's suggestion people, sit back and enjoy it. Watching and playing sports should be about having fun, not having a cardiac episode over a late round pick.
    dude, really. Tye hill, flopienstien ,brian leanord, barron, richy , this are not 5th round busts. they are first and second round bust! And I forgot some!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast