Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RockinRam is online now Registered User

Re: What's the point of the "Rams will be picking in top 5 next year" comments?

Sure Seattle and San Fran had good drafts, but mainly that is due to them picking up "bigger name players" that more people know.

For example, Golden Tate, Mike Iupati, Earl Thomas...etc.

But, that doesn't mean we didn't also have a good draft.

It's good to be realistic, but there is no problem with being a bit optimistic. The NFL is entertainment. It's time more people start treating it like that.

Watching football sure beats a 9-5 work day.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    dude, really. Tye hill, flopienstien ,brian leanord, barron, richy , this are not 5th round busts. they are first and second round bust! And I forgot some!
    I think he meant the guys who got worried or concerned over this year's 5-7th round picks, who are (and the FO admitted) projects with good payoff should they hit, like most guys in that round range are.

And again BEER, about your other post, when you said you have to have both i think you meant being realistic and optimistic?
    What's realistic is actually relative to a person. Not to mention one doesn't have to be reminded of the reality of something when trying to overcome that reality. Again the foxhole analogy. If my commander is constantly telling me there's a damn good chance I'm going to get my brains blown out by a sniper and that this is a suicide mission, my moral is going to probably take a shot, which will cause me to get overanxious, f up, and fulfill his predictions...

Saying the Rams WILL tank next season is the equivalent of telling yourself if you try out for this sports team you WILL suck no matter how hard you work, I don't buy that crap and never have. I've proven to myself that optimism works better than pessimism.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I think he meant the guys who got worried or concerned over this year's 5-7th round picks, who are (and the FO admitted) projects with good payoff should they hit, like most guys in that round range are.

And again BEER, about your other post, when you said you have to have both i think you meant being realistic and optimistic?
    What's realistic is actually relative to a person. Not to mention one doesn't have to be reminded of the reality of something when trying to overcome that reality. Again the foxhole analogy. If my commander is constantly telling me there's a damn good chance I'm going to get my brains blown out by a sniper and that this is a suicide mission, my moral is going to probably take a shot, which will cause me to get overanxious, f up, and fulfill his predictions...

Saying the Rams WILL tank next season is the equivalent of telling yourself if you try out for this sports team you WILL suck no matter how hard you work, I don't buy that crap and never have. I've proven to myself that optimism works better than pessimism.
    I get what your trying to say, but military and football are worlds apart. I like your point none the less.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I approach every new Rams season as if this is going to be the year. Any other way is just no fun and pointless as far as I'm concerned.

Seems to me that there is just too much information these days. Fans seem to want to be highly informed and more knowledgeable with team internals, and therefore more accurate with their predictions. I just don't have the time or desire for all of that. I often wonder how so many here, who write tens of thousands of posts, find the time. It's almost as if it's their freaking job or they have no other life.

Anyways....

I think this talk of being an optimist yet a realist and predicting 4-6 wins is not only void of fun, but to me, it's almost as depressing as the outright pessimist. Ah, but perhaps it is logical and the mature approach to being a fan. Whatever it is, it's not for me. I'd rather approach my Rams upcoming season with high hopes and grandiose dreams of success. That's the same way I've looked at it every year since I was a young child, some 40 years ago.

Perhaps, when it comes to being a fan of my Rams, I just never grew up.

Right on, dude! One of my best buddies, who I've been working with almost 10 years now, is a fellow Rams' fan. Even in the worst of years, before the season starts, we both know that "this is the the Rams' year and we're goin' all the way".
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

I just want to give a shout out to those 3000 college football players that did not make it to the NFL! and every one were optimistic. Do you get it now?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I just want to give a shout out to those 3000 college football players that did not make it to the NFL! and every one were optimistic. Do you get it now?
    Wanna give a shout to guys like Gilyard who were optimistic about his chances to win back his scholarship and eventually make it the pros as well? That goes both ways brotha

You get it now?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Last year it was pretty obvious the team was going to be bad heading into the season, they cut all their veterans to fix the cap and added very little. It wasn't a difficult thing to figure out. This year the team added a few people and have some draft picks coming in. While I don't think they'll be competing for the Superbowl this year, the negativity can be waived, the future is brighter.

To me, people who are ultra negative generally look at their negativity as misguided proof of their intelligence. All it proves is that you are a negative person. That's unhealthy, dangerous and a waste of life.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

dude, really. Tye hill, flopienstien ,brian leanord, barron, richy , this are not 5th round busts. they are first and second round bust! And I forgot some!
    No, they aren't 5-7 round busts, but I wasn't talking about going crazy over high draft picks made by people who aren't making decisions anymore. (Speaking of those, how about we not tar and feather devaney and spags for the crimes of the previous FO?) I was talking about calling Devaney an idiot for passing on a guy in the 6th freakin round of the draft. Makes no sense to me. I don't see how being a fan can be fun in the least with that point of view.

Wanna give a shout to guys like Gilyard who were optimistic about his chances to win back his scholarship and eventually make it the pros as well? That goes both ways brotha

You get it now?
    Have they done anything? You could be right, we will see. That is if we picked the two lucky ones out of the draft, chances is, your wrong. But I hope your right.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell
    To me, people who are ultra negative generally look at their negativity as misguided proof of their intelligence. All it proves is that you are a negative person. That's unhealthy, dangerous and a waste of life.
    Memo to self: I owe Yell positive rep.

Guys, read and re-read what Yell has written here. Soak it in.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Every now and again, I wander over to the PD board. It seems like at least 25% of the threads there are started by someone trying to convince the rest of the posters that the Rams are doomed to neverending failure.

I always wonder... if these posters "win" the argument and convince everyone that they are right, then what?

Become Whiner fans?

Riot in the streets?

Start following hockey?

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm already tired of those types of posts.

Look, I get it. I really do. The Rams have won 6 games in the past three years and have selected second, second and first in the last three drafts. From a pure "trying to predict the future from past events" standpoint, there is a rational basis to assume the worst.

But we're fans. This is supposed to be fun.

I fail to see how anyone could find it enjoyable to give up on a season four months before it starts.

If you want to find hope, there are places to look on this roster. There are a number of young players who have shown flashes and could emerge in the next year or two. The continuity with the coaching staff (which, I might remind you, was brand new last year) alone can result in positive strides.

I'm sure this post will be chastised as just another Av rant against the naysayers. That's really not my point. If you want to come here and say things like "the Rams will be picking first next year" I won't try to stop you (the worst you'll get is a little negative rep from me).

But, geez... when being a fan becomes a constant downer, what's the point of following the team at all?
    I remember the main reason i stopped reading this forum was because of your constant debbie downer syndrome.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    I remember the main reason i stopped reading this forum was because of your constant debbie downer syndrome.
    You must have me confused with someone else. I was, of course, very much in favor of replacing Lin#$&, but I never gave up on the team.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The greatest posts of them all are the ones that say "I can't believe the Rams drafted Jack Blowhard, we could have had Jim Studwacker or Rock Bonebreaker with that pick. They are much better players. GAH! I can't believe we passed them up."

This, knowing that you have not even the tinest fraction of info that the coaches and front office does ...
    Well I did want Cromartie over Tye Hill, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Every now and again, I wander over to the PD board. It seems like at least 25% of the threads there are started by someone trying to convince the rest of the posters that the Rams are doomed to neverending failure.

I always wonder... if these posters "win" the argument and convince everyone that they are right, then what?

Become Whiner fans?

Riot in the streets?

Start following hockey?
    When we start winning, my posts and others like mine will come to a halt. Dick left and .........well we have sucked sense. Mostly at drafting!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast