throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

What's so great about the Rams LBs?

Recently I was asked what I wanted or perhaps expected out of the Rams LBs.

Many Rams fans are criticizing the secondary. That's fine, because they have not set the NFL world on fire. Personally I think the LB corp is a greater source for criticism.

I will post some stats on the 3 starting LBs and afterwards maybe you will see why it is more realistic to answer my question as to "What's so great about the Rams LBs"

These stats are the combined efforts of the 3 starting LBs through 8 games.

Sacks: 2.5

Fumbles Forced: 1

Fumbles Recovered: 0

Interceptions: 0

Passes Defensed: 4

Tackles & Ast: 104

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: What's so great about the Rams LBs?

I feel the same way Ferter, I don't think this LB corp has lived up to the hype. I'm not sure though if it's how Marmie was utilizing them or not.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I feel the same way Ferter, I don't think this LB corp has lived up to the hype. I'm not sure though if it's how Marmie was utilizing them or not.
    What hype? Many thought it was a joke when we signed Coakley and Claiborne.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Alright then HUb....I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Alright then HUb....I don't know.
    tx, I'm not picking on ya, I just don't think there was a lot of fanfare with these two signings. I, too hoped for more, but they've got to be on the field to make it happen. Now, of course, are they off the field because they suck or because of a bad scheme.........yea, I don't know either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I HAVE TO ADMIT I WAS EXPECTING MORE FROM THE LB'S THAT WE SIGNED DURING THE OFFSEASON. HOPEFULLY THIS EXPECTATION IS STILL COMING.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    tx, I'm not picking on ya, I just don't think there was a lot of fanfare with these two signings. I, too hoped for more, but they've got to be on the field to make it happen. Now, of course, are they off the field because they suck or because of a bad scheme.........yea, I don't know either.
    I have tried to point out examples. Did the Rams leave Fletch on the field because of scheme? Or did he have instincts, speed, tenacity and a nose for the ball?

Here is a question to ask yourself:

Do you honestly believe, if Marmie had a guy like Fletch, he would be insane enough to take him off the field simply because of philosophy or scheme?

In my opinion these LBs are average at best. I'm being nice now, because so far, I think they have sucked.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

hard to make playes when we have a middle linebacker in there 1/3 of the time.

Cmon on guys !!! I'm gonna be bald soon from pulling all my hair out !!!

IF YOU HAVE PLAYMAKERS.....YOU DON"T TAKE THEM OFF THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's safe to say, even when Claiborne and Coakley are on the field, they are not making many plays. I seem to notice Chillar a lot more than I do Claiborne or Coakley these days.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The best thing i can say about the linebackers is that they are better than what we had last year. The same thing can be said for the current linebackers at the university of miami if we want to set the bar that low.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Smile Re: What's so great about the Rams LBs?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    The best thing i can say about the linebackers is that they are better than what we had last year. The same thing can be said for the current linebackers at the university of miami if we want to set the bar that low.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree this year we have moved up to two hand touch. Maybe next year we can move up to tackle football. Baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I think it's safe to say, even when Claiborne and Coakley are on the field, they are not making many plays. I seem to notice Chillar a lot more than I do Claiborne or Coakley these days.
    And that's because Chillar enters the game when we go to nickel. Before Vitt took over (read: Marmie stopped calling the D), we were in nickel most of the game, Chillar was like a starter. Only in the last couple of games have Coakley and Claiborne even seen significant time.

Do you honestly believe, if Marmie had a guy like Fletch, he would be insane enough to take him off the field simply because of philosophy or scheme?
    Ferter, you're asking the W.W.M.D. question....What Would Marmie Do? That may be the unanswerable question. Other than fail miserably regardless of personnel, I'm not sure of what Marmie would do an ANY situation. However, I'll try.

If he had an ILB like Fletch and a secondary as porous as ours has been, he may very likely pull him off the field depending on his faith in the coverage skills of both Fletch and another LB. If he did not feel Fletch was one of the top two coverage LBs, then Fletch would come off the field as soon as the D slid into nickel......which would be often.

Apparently, Pisa and Chillar have sold Marmie on the idea that they are the top two coverage LBs. However, equally apparent is Vitt's lack of faith in our nickel packages.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    And that's because Chillar enters the game when we go to nickel. Before Vitt took over (read: Marmie stopped calling the D), we were in nickel most of the game, Chillar was like a starter. Only in the last couple of games have Coakley and Claiborne even seen significant time.
    That's true HUb, but Chillar seems to me to be making the most out of his shots on the field by being a playmaker, where as Claiborne and Coakley are not. We need these guys to step up and make some plays against Seattle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast