View Poll Results: What's worse about the draft?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • The pre-draft hype and attention grabbing!

6 13.33%
  • Post draft malcontents and second guessers!

21 46.67%
  • Both drive me insane!

4 8.89%
  • Neither bother me all that much.

14 31.11%
Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By Dwight Frye
  • 3 Post By RealRam
  • 1 Post By MauiRam

Thread: What's worse?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

What's worse?

I'm having a hard time deciding if the pre-draft hype and attention grabbing or the post draft second guessing, complaining and premature grading of said draft is worse. What do you guys think?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: What's worse?

I think the post draft stuff is worse. Pre draft, people are advancing their own agenda and opinions, mixed in with the assortment of disinformation intentionally circulated by the teams (does anyone really believe that the vikings didnt know which player they wanted at #3?).

However, post and mid draft, the craziest comments of all come out of the woodwork, led by the all time worst comment "Why did we take that guy in round____, we could have taken him later in the draft." That is really the stupidist comment i see all year because it requires psychic power to make that statement. There is absolutely no way to form an educated opinion (vs. a purely emotional outburst) as to when a player would have been taken since no fan has any idea what is on any team's draft board.

The premature grading is also a joke. It is inconsistent within each "experts" own personal player rankings. As an example, kiper had quick as his #4 receiver, behind only blackmon, floyd and wright. He had quick ahead of randle and steven hill and jenkins. When the Rams take him ahead of randle and hill, kiper downgrades us because of the potential transition issues associated with quick. He also knocks the rams for not filling a key need with brockers, who he says was a need, but not as big a need as the rams had at corner. I dont follow that at all, and i defy anyone that has actually watched a rams game in the last five years to tell me that a run stuffing defensive tackle was not a critical priority for the rams. Its like kiper wasnt processing that the rams just spent 50 million on finnegan and then he effectively assumes that jenkins will crap out on us, since if corner was such a big need, then why dont we get credit for addressing it with a top 10 talent at #39.

Fans get all bent out of shape when "their guy" doesnt get picked, as if fans have any clue how to grade players or watch film compared to a professional scout. This is especially true when a fan acknowledges that the team filled a need (ie rams at receiver) and then complains that the team took the wrong guy based on either their personal film review or the rankings of alleged experts.

Another funny one is fans talking about where the rams had specific players rated and who the rams liked and didnt like. Unless it comes out of the mouth of fisher or snead (and even then you have to take it with a grain of salt), how does anyone know what the rams thought of a specific guy?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Ah, the talking heads. I pay no attention whatsoever. I'm convinced their are people on this board who are MUCH more 'in the know' than any of these clowns and their draft breakdowns. How could you possibly know how ANY of these guys are gonna do next year?

Besides, we'll all know soon enough ....
    ZiaRam likes this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

there has to be some drama or why else watch. games are all intense fitting that draft carry some type of emotion. Neither bother me all that much. close this motha!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RealRam is offline Registered User

Interesting poll amigo.

I've gotten used to both 'pre' as well 'post' NFL draft drama scenes. After a certain number of years, one becomes rather immune (not indiferent) to the pre-hype and the post-nagging cycles. But it is nice to look for, and find, interesting points of view and commentaries about the new Rams players here within the Clan. That I like.
    Rambos, MauiRam and Agrajag like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I went with: Post draft malcontents and second guessers!

This sums it up as far as the experts trying to grade the Rams draft.

As an example, kiper had quick as his #4 receiver, behind only blackmon, floyd and wright. He had quick ahead of randle and steven hill and jenkins. When the Rams take him ahead of randle and hill, kiper downgrades us because of the potential transition issues associated with quick. He also knocks the rams for not filling a key need with brockers, who he says was a need, but not as big a need as the rams had at corner. I dont follow that at all, and i defy anyone that has actually watched a rams game in the last five years to tell me that a run stuffing defensive tackle was not a critical priority for the rams. Its like kiper wasnt processing that the rams just spent 50 million on finnegan and then he effectively assumes that jenkins will crap out on us, since if corner was such a big need, then why dont we get credit for addressing it with a top 10 talent at #39.
    If you want to be disappointing after the draft all you have to do as a fan is fall in love with one or two players. There are so many moving parts, the likelihood of your team drafting the guy you covet is slim. As I read this board post draft most fans are giving the FO the benefit of the doubt and hoping for the best. But you get the feeling there is a larger group waiting to ponce at the first sign we may have missed on a player. Waiting to say I told you so if one of these risky picks messes up.

I could only imagine the fallout if one of these kids made the same mistake Pettis made last year and misses playing time. I know the honeymoon ended with Fisher on the first day of the draft, he is now on the clock and the fans want results.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

For me, the posts and comments just signal a certain time of year - the draft. Every year I hope we'll find some magic, but no one knows for sure until the kids get on the field and prove their mettle or lack of it. I am not bothered by the naysayers or too much kool aid .. I enjoy reading all for the most part.

Obviously one can't accurately grade a draft before players even get on the field, but I admit to enjoying it when I read some "pundit" giving the Rams an A. The Rams haven't earned much "love" from the media lately, maybe this year will see a new trend .. Here I go "hoping" again ..
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i voted neither one bothers me that much.

as much as i love the Rams,there`s enough stuff in my life to worry about rather than what these so-called experts think.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -05-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

For me, it's the POST DRAFT malcontents.

The players that we drafted deserve a chance to prove their worth or not. Patience........

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Justin Blackmon was worth more than three 1st round draft picks and a 2nd round draft pick. How can you be upset with the post draft analysis when this is the argument made? Take it for what it is, bad comedy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They're both annoying, but I wouldn't say they bother me too much.

The pre-draft stuff is just has-beens and never-weres trying to sound informed (I recognize the self-loathing). The post-draft nonsense is just a by-product of the Madden kids not understanding how the real world works.

Like I said, annoying, but something to do.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is offline Registered User

most posts from end of football year to beginning of year are just fodder in my book.....including this one

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Neither. The hype and second guessing are just making a game out of an otherwise dull time of year in the NFL cycle. The worst of the second-guessers aren't doing anything different with the draft than they do with everything else. They'll second guess the play call, the coaching staff, the pants colors we wear, the turf type, the halftime adjustments, and the post-game comments. They're just doing what they do draft style.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

You're kidding, right? Show me a person who hasn't second guessed drafts, play calling, personnel moves, coaching decisions or anything else related to their favorite sports team, and I'll show you a guy who isn't a serious sports fan. And show me a guy who doesn't respond passionately to something he cares about (no matter how unimportant it is in the grand scheme of life), and I'll show you a guy who probably is satisfied with mediocrity and stands for nothing. Anyone who has second guessed things over the years- for reasons ranging from legitimate to completely ridiculous- who has the gall to chastize someone else on the forum or "be bothered" for "emotional responses" about the draft or anything else is the ultimate hypocrite.

And pre-hype involving anything big related to athletics is expected in thid day and age. With countless networks, media outlets, blogs and web pages it isn't going to change. No sense being bothered by it. Change the channel or flip off sports radio if it bothers you.

Concerns about this draft are legitimate. Only fans whose heads are so far up the organization's collective rear end fail to see that. Risks were taken. Character issues with several selections are (rightly) being questioned. It is CERTAINLY POSSIBLE- and obviously my hope as well as the hope of every Ram fan- that this draft will be a good one. It is also very possible that a few of these picks could blow up in our face. The Rams- a team fighting to return to respectability- can ill afford to have that happen. I was amongst those leading the cheers for the hiring of Jeff Fisher and am willing to live and die by his decisions. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be a sheep and show blind faith towards every decision the man makes.

In sum, neither of these things bother me all that much.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    You're kidding, right? Show me a person who hasn't second guessed drafts, play calling, personnel moves, coaching decisions or anything else related to their favorite sports team, and I'll show you a guy who isn't a serious sports fan. And show me a guy who doesn't respond passionately to something he cares about (no matter how unimportant it is in the grand scheme of life), and I'll show you a guy who probably is satisfied with mediocrity and stands for nothing. Anyone who has second guessed things over the years- for reasons ranging from legitimate to completely ridiculous- who has the gall to chastize someone else on the forum or "be bothered" for "emotional responses" about the draft or anything else is the ultimate hypocrite.

And pre-hype involving anything big related to athletics is expected in thid day and age. With countless networks, media outlets, blogs and web pages it isn't going to change. No sense being bothered by it. Change the channel or flip off sports radio if it bothers you.

Concerns about this draft are legitimate. Only fans whose heads are so far up the organization's collective rear end fail to see that. Risks were taken. Character issues with several selections are (rightly) being questioned. It is CERTAINLY POSSIBLE- and obviously my hope as well as the hope of every Ram fan- that this draft will be a good one. It is also very possible that a few of these picks could blow up in our face. The Rams- a team fighting to return to respectability- can ill afford to have that happen. I was amongst those leading the cheers for the hiring of Jeff Fisher and am willing to live and die by his decisions. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be a sheep and show blind faith towards every decision the man makes.

In sum, neither of these things bother me all that much.
    Obviously a few risks were taken by the Fisher in his first draft as Rams HC. It is the NFL draft after all. Taking risks isnt that unusual for Fisher, as he has been drafting this way for years in Tennesee. You must have had an inkling Fisher would target the talented problem players on draft day. Its part of what makes Fisher a great coach in my opinion. So Im more than a little surprised with all your negativity towards Fisher's draft strategy. Especially after lobbying for him so hard as well.?
    Im honestly over the moon with what Fisher has achieved so far with our team. LOVE IT. Which is far cry from the negative outlook I had last season.