general counsel is offline Registered User

whats worth more to us, klop or our #2

what would you rather trade, klop or our #2 in a jenkins deal.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: whats worth more to us, klop or our #2

If I was held at gun point.....Our #2

general counsel is offline Registered User

the reason i think that is correct laram is that if you were picking with our #2 today, i dont see anyway that we take a tight end knowing that we have mcmichael, given all the other needs that we have on defense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Drew Guest

our #2 (maybe with a later pick in the draft coming back our way,say the 4th!)

maineram Guest

I think Klop is worth more than our #2 for these reasons. Klop is a known commodity our #2 isn't. If we were to trade away our TE of the future, we will be looking to fill that void at some point in the future. Right now our #2 could be used two aquire some much needed help at DT, with our #1 still to be used on our DT of the future. In four years Jenkins will be obsolete, Klop and our #1 pick DT will be part of our team of the future. A number two for a known commodity, that is a major need for the team, makes good business and football sense. We still have our furure TE and our potential future DT.

Best of both worlds, win now and keep our options open to win later.

So a recap;
    Keep Klop and trade this years #2 for Jenkins
    Use #13 this year for best available DT
    In year four, Klop is a major force at TE, our #13 is a major force at DT.
    Haslett is sleeping much better at night the rest of this offseason.

Enough TOYS for Linehan, Haslett needs a few of his own !!!!

Maineram - :l

smizzhfx Guest

I'd trade Klopfenstein, as much as I like the guy. McMichael still has 4 or 5 quality years left in him and theres plenty of time to find a big white boy with a funny name down the road. We need immediate help on defense and even a lineman who will come in and contribute in a rotation will be of more use to us than Klopper. Bulger has no shortage of targets out there.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: What's worth more to us, Klop or our #2

Quote Originally Posted by Maineram View Post
    Best of both worlds, win now and keep our options open to win later.

So a recap:
    Keep Klop and trade this years #2 for Jenkins
    Use #13 this year for best available DT
    In year four, Klop is a major force at TE, our #13 is a major force at DT.
    Haslett is sleeping much better at night the rest of this offseason.

Enough TOYS for Linehan, Haslett needs a few of his own !!!!
    Maineram - :l
    Well put, Maineram; can't argue against that plan. :r I agree.

Indeed, we now have McMichael and hopefully will keep Aaron Walker for veteran TE depth.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

In four years Jenkins will be obsolete, Klop and our #1 pick DT will be part of our team of the future. A number two for a known commodity, that is a major need for the team, makes good business and football sense. We still have our future TE and our potential future DT.
    Ah, but we have only got Klopfenstein signed for three more years. If he is becoming such a major force at tight end by that point, we may not even be able to keep him on the team. It's too far ahead to predict what will happen. Besides, I wouldn't say that he's quite a known quantity yet. He had a good rookie season, but that's it so far. As far as value goes...well, that depends a lot on what is available when we pick.

StickMonkey Guest

I think the Klop deal would come down to one stipulation.

Do the Panthers take Olsen at 14?

If we can't (I'm visiting from the Panther's side of the house), then Klop is roughly on par with Zach Miller. I mean, both are more speculation than fact at the moment, but they're close enough to rate a conversation.

Furthermore, how confident are we that we coudl get/do we want Ben Patrick, who I see as the last possible TE draft guy with immediate starting potential.

The frustrating thing, unlike last draft, is that there really are only three brand name TE's out there, and each of varying quality and specialty. I personally don't like spending the 1st round pick on the cheapest position in football. If we have to chose between a 1st round quality Saftey or TE, i would rather have the Saftey, if only because we have none and, on average, a saftey has more tackles per game than a TE has catches (just as a very rough estimate of who impacts that side of the ball more).

That said, Saftey has depth, TE does not. I think the safest thing Carolina could do is to swing a Klop and a 3rd ish for Jenkins deal. However, they would want something conditional on top of that, becaues 260 yards in the rookie season (which, unfortunately, is all you have to base his potential on) doesn't guarantee you're getting 2nd round pick value.

At the end of the day, though, it's the 2nd and 3rd round picks that Carolina probibly wants. The LB's you want are there. The Safteys you want are there. Maybe even the TE's you want are there. It's an odd year, because nobody wants to be in the 1st round, and everyone wishes they had more 2nd and 3rd round picks. People are tired of paying so much money in the 1st compared to the 2nd for what amounts to a small increase in success of the crapshoot that is the draft. The 1st round has 32 picks for roughly 22 positions on the field. that means, on average, only the top 1.5 players from each position are taken, out of the entire collegiate draft pool. 1.5. You tell me you couldn't find a "better" guy who panned out "number two" as his position because he didn't have as good of a coach, or face teh same kind of team, or had a quality surrounding cast, or whatever.

When the combine can change someone's draft status from the 2nd to the 1st, you gotta wonder how much difference there actually is between them. I pity the teams who fall into the top five every year. Even if Calvin Johnson is the quickest thing since Miracle Whip, he's still going to cost 5 years 50 million. That's not exactly a bargain. That's like having no choice but to buy a top shelf free agent, but one who just "looks like" they can handle the NFL competition. And man, sure is a good thing none of those other top five picks weren't busts. Top five LT's and DE's are always sure things, really guys.

For instance, the Texans should be worried. And for a team who has the equivalent of blocking dummies for an offensive line, I'm not so sure inserting one guy at any position, nomatter how awesome, provides even a moderately good chance to "turn the franchise around." The real reward would be giving them lots of 2nds to get quality across the board. You know, everywhere, like the winning teams have.

Anyway, that went a little long. Thanks for reading, if you made it this far.

Just my two cents.

E
    Last edited by StickMonkey; -04-12-2007 at 07:44 PM.