View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Steven Jackson situation?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not really concerned. It will work itself out and he'll be ready by Week 1.

23 25.56%
  • Mildly concerned. I expect him to sign, but it could linger into the season.

24 26.67%
  • Worried. This is going to be a problem all year long and into next year.

6 6.67%
  • Annoyed at Jackson. He's been offered a fair deal and he's being a jerk.

17 18.89%
  • Annoyed at the team. The refusal to negotiate helps nobody.

10 11.11%
  • At least we're not dealing with Brett Favre.

10 11.11%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What's your opinion of the Steven Jackson situation?

Which statement best describes your opinion?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: What's your opinion of the Steven Jackson situation?

Mildly concerned. I'm sure it will happen eventually. I know that Jackson will be able to play.

But I'm afraid that his high expectations (#4 fantasy ranked) would not be met. I think the first week or so, he will struggle a bit.

Then again, if they play him, say three quarters, he should be fine.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He's is 25 still young and if you think of it his deall will look like chump change in a while with AP and Darren McFadden having 17 mil and 26 mil guaranteed on their rookie contracts. Look at Brian Westbrook he signed a deal a while back that looked completely reasonable, but now that he is playing verry well in his late 20's he wants to re-up and make some more cash seeing all the young guns who might not be better than him making 20 mil plus. IMO 20 mil is reasonable for a proven dominant top 3 back who is 25.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I honestly thought our front office was beyond this, obviously I was wrong. Not sure what there is to negotiate if Jackson is only asking for 20 million guaranteed. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, but it's not my money. And being the best player on the team apparently holds no weight

Question for the front office: Is Chris Long more valuable than Steven Jackson? Then pay the man before this gets ugly.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I voted mildly concerned.

I think the Rams have been fair to this point. They made an offer, and Jackson rejected it. I don't know how much guarenteed money the Rams offered Jax, but the salary was top 4 or five in the league, which is about right for Jackson. The Rams said "show up to camp and we'll talk". ...but Jackson remains a no-show. He is still on contract. He should honor it, and negotiate after he returns to camp.

To me, it's not a question about his worth, because I'm sure the Rams will give him what he's worth. In fact, they've already offered him fair "worth" in the form of salary. It's a question of how much quaranteed money the Rams are willing to risk on him. ...and to me, Jackson is a bit of a risk, given his history of injury. To me, it's a question of honoring a contract that he signed and agreed to and reporting for training camp. The Rams said they would not negotiate until he reports. It seems now his only option is to hold out the entire year, or report to camp, or during the season at some time and begin renegotiations. If he does intend to report at some time, why wait? Why not get into camp right now?

I'll begin to get really concerned if he hasn't reported by the third game of the preseason.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Darnit Jackson come to camp and show em what you got! Rack up a rushing title and they will eat out of your hands!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm not worried about it. Jackson will likely report soon, and even if this drags out, there will still be time to get a deal done before he hits the market. Regardless of what either side is saying, it doesn't appear that they're all that far apart nor that there's a lot of ill will brewing in the situation. Now if a year from now Jackson is playing under a franchise tag and holding out again, then I'll be a little more worried.

Josh Guest

worst case.. jackson holds out until week 10.
    best case.. I drive down the road and get a taco from taco bell

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Ok , I guess I'm not getting it. jackson from what I have seen has really been average at best from what I have seen of him in the last couple of years. When he has a full head of steam he is a monster, but the full head takes awhile to get there . he misses countless holes so whatever can be salvaged from a great back is lost in his inability to make something out of nothing. Yes the line stinks but opportunity is always there and it doesn't seem to come nateral to him but whatever. Just like every year except maybe this one , theRams are always picked to do good and after 3 to 4 years of nada I kinda feel the same with Jackson. but he is what we have so i hope he can work this out for all the Jackson fans and for the team if he is going to be this great contributer. Faulk was a great all around back that is the kind of back we need . in this offense . Hope you get your green you want Jackson but even AP has shown me more in one season. sorry all , just don't have the love for the guy again!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Remember about a month ago, Jackson said"he had to produce because it was a contract year"? Was that juat his and his agents smoke screen? Yes, rookies are getting rediculous contracts and thats a big part of the problem, but from what he had said before, he was going to play to get the big contract, and now he is totally negating that philosiphy. maybe it was his agent, maybe him, i dont know. I know this is the NFL and it is a business, but the problems i see are:1. rookie contracts that are rediculous for unproven draftee's and 2. players who have proven some, but not enough, that demand more money, just like Jackson is now. From what ive read the Rams offered around 20mil gurenteed, i dont know how long the contract was for, wether4,5 or 6 years, but thats not to shabby. If Jackson thinks he should be the highest paid back in the league then im sorry S-Jax, but you are the one mistakin. I want jackson at camp and soon, and i think(from what i read, of course none of us know the exact specifics of the contract offered) he should sign. But it is a business and this is how it works.

They really need to do soemthing about these rookie contracts soon, cause i believe that is AT LEAST 50% of why these type of things happen.

Unproven people making more money.....I'd be pissed if that happened to me at my job, and would demand more money.

Jackson will be there soon. I hope.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Ok , I guess I'm not getting it. jackson from what I have seen has really been average at best from what I have seen of him in the last couple of years. When he has a full head of steam he is a monster, but the full head takes awhile to get there . he misses countless holes so whatever can be salvaged from a great back is lost in his inability to make something out of nothing. Yes the line stinks but opportunity is always there and it doesn't seem to come nateral to him but whatever. Just like every year except maybe this one , theRams are always picked to do good and after 3 to 4 years of nada I kinda feel the same with Jackson. but he is what we have so i hope he can work this out for all the Jackson fans and for the team if he is going to be this great contributer. Faulk was a great all around back that is the kind of back we need . in this offense . Hope you get your green you want Jackson but even AP has shown me more in one season. sorry all , just don't have the love for the guy again!

Are you watching the same games I am?

AP was great..don't get me wrong...but he was heavily hyped by the media outlets. I'm thinking your basing your opinion on ESPN not riding his...chones.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Not really concerned. ...Just "apprehensive". We've seen this before through the years and usually / always things will indeed work out; i.e., back to business.

I'm thinking this way because I still believe Jax is a good man. Day after day, however, him not being at Rams training camp makes me wonder how much he is allowing this situation affect his image and, possibly, his performance.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

One word?

Meh.

It'll blow over. He'll get paid, and he'll come to camp, and he'll be a ram long-term, and he'll have some great seasons with us, and maybe we'll reach the playoffs, and he'll make a pro bowl or three and...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    he misses countless holes so whatever can be salvaged from a great back is lost in his inability to make something out of nothing. Yes the line stinks but opportunity is always there and it doesn't seem to come nateral to him but whatever. Just like every year except maybe this one , theRams are always picked to do good and after 3 to 4 years of nada I kinda feel the same with Jackson. but he is what we have so i hope he can work this out for all the Jackson fans and for the team if he is going to be this great contributer. Faulk was a great all around back that is the kind of back we need . in this offense . Hope you get your green you want Jackson but even AP has shown me more in one season. sorry all , just don't have the love for the guy again!
    Ah, see I thought the problem last year was that there were countless holes in the line. As far as what he has shown us, a 1500 yard rushing/800 yard receiving year is pretty impressive. His '06 numbers were better than any back had in '07. If Jackson hadn't missed 4 games, he might have had a repeat performance.

The way I see it, Jackson danced too much in his first season as a starter in 2005. In 2006, he cut down on the negative yardage plays and emerged as a dangerous combination of power, breakaway speed, and receiving ability. Then in 2007, he took a step back statistically as the Rams' passing game became an almost negligible threat and the offensive line failed to win battles at the line of scrimmage. Jackson was still top ten in rushing yards/game last season and racked up 1000 yards.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My opinion is a combo of "mildly concerned" and "annoyed at Jackson". My problem with Jackson rests entirely in the fact that he signed a 5-year contract, 4 years ago. He didn't sign a 4-year contract with a 5th year option. He didn't add a clause saying he has the option to set out the last year if he wants.

He put his name on a piece of paper. By refusing to work, he is not doing his good name any justice. And a good name is a hard thing to come by these days. That needs to mean something.

OTOH, does he deserve a fat new contract? You bet he does. Take his performance as a starter, and pro-rate to a full season, he's averaging 1850 yards from scrimmage, 12 TDs, and 4.3 per carry. He deserves (as much as any professional athlete "deserves" their salary) $20M in guaranteed.

But he has to come to camp, first! Then, get the deal worked out.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast