View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Steven Jackson situation?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not really concerned. It will work itself out and he'll be ready by Week 1.

23 25.56%
  • Mildly concerned. I expect him to sign, but it could linger into the season.

24 26.67%
  • Worried. This is going to be a problem all year long and into next year.

6 6.67%
  • Annoyed at Jackson. He's been offered a fair deal and he's being a jerk.

17 18.89%
  • Annoyed at the team. The refusal to negotiate helps nobody.

10 11.11%
  • At least we're not dealing with Brett Favre.

10 11.11%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What's your opinion of the Steven Jackson situation?

Quote Originally Posted by fortuninerhater
    Look no further than, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Jerome Bettis.
    But which is more indicative of the current front office?.......the examples of Dickerson and Bettis from 15 to 20 years ago, or more recent examples of players who did get paydays from the Rams, like Bulger, Holt, Pace, and the aforementioned Faulk?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But which is more indicative of the current front office?.......the examples of Dickerson and Bettis from 15 to 20 years ago, or more recent examples of players who did get paydays from the Rams, like Bulger, Holt, Pace, and the aforementioned Faulk?
    One thing however, you fail to mention. All 4 of those players either held out or contemplated it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    One thing however, you fail to mention. All 4 of those players either held out or contemplated it.
    Holt and Bulger both considered it. I would imagine most NFL players have contemplated holding out. Personally, I have no problem if every Ram considers holding out.....just so long as they come to their senses, just like Holt & Bulger. Pace wasn't under contract, IIRC. He just refused to sign the franchise tender until late in camp. However, Faulk was indeed under contract. Of course, it was a contract he signed with Indy, not St. Louis; but a contract still the same.

I guess that is my one and only problem with Jackson in this matter. He is currently under contract. If what Jackson is doing is deemed acceptable, then scrap all contracts because they're not worth the paper they're written on. The NFL might as well have a year-to-year contract. Every year, a new deal is struck with each player. But what if in the middle of the year, a player feels they need more money. I guess we better have game-to-game contracts. But then what if a player feels at halftime, then deserve more compensation. Maybe we should give quarter-to-quarter contracts.

Maybe John Shaw should have a big stack of contracts to have signed before every play.

Yes, of course I'm being satiric, but my point is a contract and the name that signs it should mean something. And until Jackson shows up for work, his name is worthless.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

Okay, I'm going to dive in here, which I do not usually do, especially about a subject as touchy as this. Normally, I just read the posts on this board. I genuinely am interested in what fans of opposing teams have to say, what they think about their team and mine, etc. It tends to help me keep a clearer perspective about my own team.

This is your board, and I have no interest in stepping on anyone else's turf. But, I have read the myriad posts on this board about the whole SJ thing, and I simply cannot resist throwing my two cents in.

Stephen Jackson is definitely a top five back in the league, and definitely the single best player on the Rams' roster. He is 25 years old.

With a player as good as Jackson, a team always needs to sign them to an extension or find someone to compete with them. No team should ever wait as long as the Rams have to extend a player from their rookie contract, if they are outplaying it.

Jackson was drafted by the Rams in the first round (because Parcells was dumb enough to take Julius Jones), was allotted a set amount of money, and told where to play, none of which was able to be fairly negotiated by his agent. He then proceeded to vastly outperform his rookie contract, knowing that he could, at any time, be cut by the very team he had guaranteed to play for (in other words, the Rams could leave Jackson without consequence, but Jackson could not leave the Rams).

I just do not see where the Rams have made any effort, whatsoever, to compensate Jackson for the effort he has already put forth. If Jackson's current contract does not put him in the top 30-40 highest paid RBs in the league (meaning there are back-ups making more money than him), wouldn't the last two years of stellar play be enough of a "good-faith effort" on his part?
    Last edited by WhinerFan; -08-09-2008 at 08:05 PM.

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but this is the most important fiscal decision Jackson will ever make. His next contract will come when he is around 30 years old, and not be worth very much money at all. He has to make this one count. But the Rams seriously gave him a contract proposal on the eve of camp? Really? And he is supposed to report to camp, risking career-ending injury, contract deadlock, and the dreaded Franchise Tag?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You'd have a point if the evidence wasn't also there for Faulk, Pace, and Bulger. How many years was Pace a holdout franchise player before the Rams gave him the long-term extension and money he wanted? Bulger was a technical holdout as he missed the opening mandatory meeting the first day of camp and then a deal was agreed to that night; still, it went down to the wire before camp. Faulk held out until August 5th I believe seeking a big deal. The Rams knew when they traded for him that he wanted big money and was a potential holdout. In June of '99 his agent publicly complained about the Rams' low offer. The seven year offer the Rams said they had on the table at that time was something like $7-8 million less than what they eventually agreed to pay Faulk in August.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I'll tell you what, if he continues to hold out and we see more of the same that we did last night, the fans will turn against him. It doesn't matter that the defense looks attrocious, they'll blame the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I'll tell you what, if he continues to hold out and we see more of the same that we did last night, the fans will turn against him. It doesn't matter that the defense looks attrocious, they'll blame the offense.

I totally disagree with that notion. I believe most fans will begin to see his importance, thus forcing the front office to do what they should've done a long time ago. PAY HIM!!!!!!

The worse we look on offense, the better Jackson looks in his holdout.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I believe most fans will begin to see his importance, thus forcing the front office to do what they should've done a long time ago.
    The Fans are a very powerful group.

They once forced a front office to hold a daily open house for all fans that were interested. The open house included autographs, a chance to sit in the head of football operations chair for a full minute, and a continental breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    The Fans are a very powerful group.

They once forced a front office to hold a daily open house for all fans that were interested. The open house included autographs, a chance to sit in the head of football operations chair for a full minute, and a continental breakfast.

Despite your sarcasm, you are 100% correct. Without the fans there's no NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL.....shall I go on?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I totally disagree with that notion. I believe most fans will begin to see his importance, thus forcing the front office to do what they should've done a long time ago. PAY HIM!!!!!!

The worse we look on offense, the better Jackson looks in his holdout.

If he had reported to camp, I would agree with you. But the fact that negotiations won't start until he does- I think it might have the opposite reaction. I hope he comes to his senses soon and then the Rams make him an offer that his sister can live with soon after.

shall I go on?
    Please do. You are a wealth of knowledge!

How about some more of your insight as to what the fans can force a FO into?

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    If he had reported to camp, I would agree with you. But the fact that negotiations won't start until he does- I think it might have the opposite reaction. I hope he comes to his senses soon and then the Rams make him an offer that his sister can live with soon after.

The Rams have consistently been one of the cheapest organizations in sports history. As evidenced by the number of high profile holdouts they've endured.

No one who's been a Ram fan for any length of time, should be suprised by Jackson's holdout. If you are, you should take a look at their history to give you a better understanding of why I believe Jackson is only doing what this organization forces you to do more than any other in the NFL.

Frankly, I would not be suprised if Jackson (as you so eloquently put it), "comes to his senses", only to demand a trade soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Please do. You are a wealth of knowledge!

How about some more of your insight as to what the fans can force a FO into?

I believe you get the picure, in spite of yourself.

I believe you get the picure, in spite of yourself.
    Yes, I believe you are correct.

But it would be nice if you would just openly admit your embellishment as to what the fans can force the front office into.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456