• 3 Post By MauiRam
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By VegasRam
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram
  • 2 Post By MACD

Thread: When Bradford returns ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

When Bradford returns ..

It is hard to find a "silver lining" when your starting qb goes down with a season ending injury. Sam did go down. My question is: can he benefit from it?

I believe the answer is yes. Sam's injury has given him the opportunity to observe his offense from the sidelines and get a read on the pulse of his team in a way he would not be afforded if he was playing. No pressure, and in his second year in Schotty's offense, he knows enough to gain even more knowledge. He can see how opposing Ds react from yet another perspective - one that very well could benefit him when he is able to return.

Obviously Sam and all of us here are bummed Sam was injured. However, the old "lemons and lemonade" adage certainly can apply here. Thoughts??

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: When Bradford returns ..

I think that is a valid point.

Sam hit the ground running when he was drafted, and has never had the opportunity to view the game from his current perspective. He's always had the reputation as a smart and studious player, so I do think his mental game could be progressing while his physical game is sidelined.
    MauiRam and ramstough39 like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I was wondering about this as well. SB was sidelined during Josh's tenure, but was only a 1/2 year into a new system, and away from being a rookie. This circumstance is entirely different. While he sees his WRs in practice, might be enlightening for him to see how they react to coverages and corners, which he may not always see in live action.

(Probably also thinking..."Man, that Cook guy is really good - too bad Kel throws such uncatchable balls").
    Randart likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I think this is a very tough question to answer and has been covered in a similiar thread. When Bradford returns, he will pick up right where he left off, take his game (and this team) to another level, and take us to the playoffs. The reason i say this is because I TRULY BELIEVE he was hitting his stride during the Carolina game, and would DEFINITELY have made a difference in our losses ( not saying he would have won them, just we would have had a better CHANCE OF WINNING. ) He has benefitted in a way mentally, but his body physically wont be able to until he is 100% healthy because of reps. But he will make up for it during the offseason and training camps, etc...

IMHO, and this might be a title for a new thread, but I personally feel as though, although Bradford hasn lived up to most's expectations, he certainly has his reasons for failures, most of which hasnt been him. We all KNOW that if we go with a new starting QB next season and new OC, that it will just be another few years of LEARNING AND LOSING, flirting with either mediocity the way we have been the last two years or just plain horrible. The LAST thing Bradford, ( or any other QB) and this team, needs, is to start over with a new scheme. We may not like Schotty, but we are going to have to ride it out with him because we really need the continuity on offense now.

I really hope we address the OL this offseason with a Matthews type player and a CB who can either shut down like Revis or just be decent for four quarters. Or we can gamble with this offensive line, let them get healthy for next year, stick with them and try to get some proven receivers/ receiving threats.
    I believe we are set at RB and defense.IMHO the top needs for this team of ours is :

1) OL
    2) WR
    3) CB
    4)S
    5) DT

MACD is offline Registered User

Anyone else see the supreme irony that Bradford's injury occurred during a nifty scramble for pretty good yardage?

Anyway, if any QB will take advantage of looking at things outside the box he's usually in, I'm confident it will be Sam Bradford.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It's an interesting take, but I'm a big believer that there is no substitute for reps and game experience. Had Sam continued to play as he had started to play prior to the injury, he would've set personal highs for yardage and TDs and TD/INT ratio. He was robbed of that. I feel learning as you play is more valuable as a 4th year starter than learning as an observer.

With that said, I'm fully convinced Sam is using his down time on the sideline to observe, make mental notes and prepare for a productive 2014.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    I think this is a very tough question to answer and has been covered in a similiar thread. When Bradford returns, he will pick up right where he left off, take his game (and this team) to another level, and take us to the playoffs. The reason i say this is because I TRULY BELIEVE he was hitting his stride during the Carolina game, and would DEFINITELY have made a difference in our losses ( not saying he would have won them, just we would have had a better CHANCE OF WINNING. ) He has benefitted in a way mentally, but his body physically wont be able to until he is 100% healthy because of reps. But he will make up for it during the offseason and training camps, etc...

IMHO, and this might be a title for a new thread, but I personally feel as though, although Bradford hasn lived up to most's expectations, he certainly has his reasons for failures, most of which hasnt been him. We all KNOW that if we go with a new starting QB next season and new OC, that it will just be another few years of LEARNING AND LOSING, flirting with either mediocity the way we have been the last two years or just plain horrible. The LAST thing Bradford, ( or any other QB) and this team, needs, is to start over with a new scheme. We may not like Schotty, but we are going to have to ride it out with him because we really need the continuity on offense now.

I really hope we address the OL this offseason with a Matthews type player and a CB who can either shut down like Revis or just be decent for four quarters. Or we can gamble with this offensive line, let them get healthy for next year, stick with them and try to get some proven receivers/ receiving threats.
    I believe we are set at RB and defense.IMHO the top needs for this team of ours is :

1) OL
    2) WR
    3) CB
    4)S
    5) DT
    It's a nice take on things we only have one difference in opinion on our needs mate... RB & WR/TE.
    I think our recievers and TE's are really coming along and will be good as in good enough. Unless we get a shot at an elite guy we don't need more of same at WR/TE. And I think Sammy has good repoire with most of our guys and is building it with the new guys as well. Also they are for the most part healthy and not given to alot of injuries so far cept maybe Kendricks & Harkey. Hopefully these guys stay healthy now.
    But all of our Running Backs have been banged the heck up with multiple injuries this season, with the exception of Peadster. Who may or may not be back next season, therefore I would love to draft a back with some more size than our group has to compliment them and give them some rest time. In fact I think it is imperative with our coach calling for a change of philosophy to go with the run more!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Pass protection ought to be a priority for Sam Bradford this offseason. Once teams catch on to beating us in the 12 personnel packages, we'll need an o-line that can protect him with little to no TE help.
    Also, I hope this team (I'M LOOKING AT YOU ESPECIALLY DEFENSE) doesn't slack off and put all the burden on the QB. At some points when #8 was playing, the defense looked lazy in their assignments and only decided to step up once he was injured.
    rNemesis likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

MACD is offline Registered User

Remember when Mark Clayton was acquired? In less than a week he started and had over 100 yards receiving in that game. He was lightning in a bottle for Bradford for the few games he played...and then came that freak injury.

I'll never know why Flacco had such a blind eye for Clayton at Baltimore, because he was getting separation and never dropped a pass from Sam. I dream of four Mark claytons in our lineup and get a warm tingly sensation...somewhere. All this to say, while a case for upgrades at many positions can be made, the receiver position will be the game-changer. Especially since the run game seems to have significantly improved...
    live4ramin and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm with NJ on this, not playing hurts him in so many ways. Young guys he needs to develop chemistry and timing with. I know he was helping Clemens out on the sideline, I wonder if he's talking to the WR during the game and helping them with routes, reading defenses ect, that could be something positive.

The coaches are moving Quick and Bailey up in the rotation. I wish Sam was in to work with these guys. My fear is next year he will go back to his comfort zone and that is Pettis and Pettis is not the future. Sam had mostly bad things happen when he throws to Quick that has to change big time next year. Bailey and Bradford, I don't recall them getting many reps in preseason games.

Sam has always had his camp with the Rams skill players in the off season, I hope he's throwing in time to work with Bailey and Quick in the off season.

I'm on the fence with taking another WR, but if we traded Pettis and drafted another young gun I would not be hating that. That way Bradford would have to move on from Pettis.

heff is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Remember when Mark Clayton was acquired? In less than a week he started and had over 100 yards receiving in that game. He was lightning in a bottle for Bradford for the few games he played...and then came that freak injury.

I'll never know why Flacco had such a blind eye for Clayton at Baltimore, because he was getting separation and never dropped a pass from Sam. I dream of four Mark claytons in our lineup and get a warm tingly sensation...somewhere. All this to say, while a case for upgrades at many positions can be made, the receiver position will be the game-changer. Especially since the run game seems to have significantly improved...
    This mirrors my thoughts exactly. Agreed 200%.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It's an interesting take, but I'm a big believer that there is no substitute for reps and game experience. Had Sam continued to play as he had started to play prior to the injury, he would've set personal highs for yardage and TDs and TD/INT ratio. He was robbed of that. I feel learning as you play is more valuable as a 4th year starter than learning as an observer.

With that said, I'm fully convinced Sam is using his down time on the sideline to observe, make mental notes and prepare for a productive 2014.
    No where did I imply that Sam's being relegated to the sidelines is an equal substitute for live reps/game experience. Obviously we all would have liked Sam to stay healthy and be able to play and progress through an entire season. Didn't happen though - he got hurt. The point I was trying to make was simply that Sam can still be progressing through avenues that are available to him now. Hence the reference to "lemons to lemonade"

Av succinctly phrased the point I was trying to make:

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think that is a valid point.

Sam hit the ground running when he was drafted, and has never had the opportunity to view the game from his current perspective. He's always had the reputation as a smart and studious player, so I do think his mental game could be progressing while his physical game is sidelined.
    Bingo!!
    Last edited by MauiRam; -12-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.