rNemesis is offline Registered User

When can we be "relevant " again?

First off let me say "THANK YOU SAM' for playing very well against the Patriots in his first career NFL start and third preseason game. It was an excellent display of poise, arm strength, confidence in the pocket and durability of his shoulder and ability to take sacks and hits and stay cool under pressure. However, while I am very proud of it and it was nice for him to get this off his chest, he still needs a lot more work and reps and this will only come with time of course and its to be expected from a rookie QB. But he did what he HAD to do, and it was a good thing AJ Feeley got injured, because it seemed to have come at the right time. This was exactly what he needed to feel even more confident and comfortable in the NFL. I watched the game myself, and let me tell you I was very impressed with the way he looked and the way the team looked in general. Accurate zip on passes no matter where it really was, he made those passes. He got good protection from the O-line and help from Jackson and little bit of Darby.

Was anyone looking for an identity for this team? Well I think its this. If you notice, either good teams, especially with great defense, play to their level of their opponent or they dont. I feel like the Rams have just recently been a team that plays to the level of their opponent. When we play sub.500 teams, we play a good close game. When we play a good team, we fight hard to stay in the game, but our OFFENSE just lets us down; had they scored some points, they would have been much more manageable games for us. We will DEFINITELY establish SJAX and whoever else for the running game to set up PA to whoever is open downfield. If we have to run the ball all day, we can do that. If we have to air it out, I feel like we are capable enough of a good passing game too.

SO MY QUESTION IS THIS: When can we be back in the the playoffs and start being an elite team ? It is possible, although rather very difficult, to turn a 1-15 team into a 9-7 or better team. ( aka 08 dolphins to 09 dolphins, I'm sure there are other examples but that one always come to mind) . But this is exactly what I could'nt understand for years. The fact that other teams had seem to be winning year in year out and if not winning, at the very least having respectable records. But no, not us , because why? We're the "same old sorry ass rams" to a lot of critics. WHY? where did that name even come from anyway ? A bad 90's decade ? SO what who cares? I just dont see why everyone is/was making a big deal about our losing seasons, albeit it was very dismal. But it would have had to been the horrible draft picks during that previous regime. Thank God we have sensible people in place running this team that know how to build and run one, no matter its history.

What all do we need? A playmaking WR ? A legit backup to steven Jax? A premier pass rusher? Someone mentioned somewhere a couple of days ago on this forum that to build winning team, the positions you focus on are Left tackle, QB, DE, and LB. I think we have all of these things and at some point the talent and experience only increases from these high draft picks. We have been picking at the top for four years now and though that is not a good thing, it pays off in the long run any way you look at it. We have Roger Saffold and Jason Smith for LT and RT , Sam Bradford at QB, Chris Long at DE with promise in SIms and Davis, and the "animal" James Laurinaitis.

If you think about it guys, and if Bradford and the rest of the team rally each other up, play well like the did in the Pats preseason game, and muster say, 6 to 7 wins ( maybe 8 at the most; dont see us winning more than that although you are always happy to see more than to see less), then you would really have to start considering this team to make a strong playoff push in the 2011 season. I just dont see why I CANT make that statement. There is just too much hard work, dedication , potential and more than enough talent to win games. Other teams are doing it. We WERE doing it. LEts get back to doing it ASAP. NFL games are supposed to be competitive, not boring, if they are the latter, then something is obviously wrong with the other team right?

So my question to you guys is this; What positions do we need to beef up in order to not just compete, but to feel good about winning every game we play in again?

IMHO, I think if we can add a playmaking WR and another playmaker on defense, I dont see why we cant win ten games in 2011. Please tell me Im not talking out my arse right now.
    Last edited by rNemesis; -08-27-2010 at 06:26 PM.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Re: When can we be "relevant " again?

We just went on the road and monkey stomped the Patriots. We also have the easiest schedule and division I've ever seen.

Why can't we win 10 games in 2010?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

After watching last night, I'm so excited. I honestly truthfully think we can win anywhere from 5-9 games. I want to say 5 with my brain but my heart wants to say 9.

I may sound crazy but did you guys watch the same game I did last night? Sam was rippin it and it was with SJAX for only 1 or 2 SERIES! Our best player only played 5 minutes....

Our team looks soo much better than it did last year and we pretty much wrecked the Patsies when all first stringers where playing. Our offense will only get better with Steven in it and hopefully one of our WR's will step up big and do great. Danny is looking exceptional so far.

All of our TE's have shown tons of potential and great skill. Our O Line needed some time to gel and is looking good again. Our run D is looking pretty darn strong as well. Our pass D looks great with Bradley Fletcher improving by the minute and the rest are playing strong.

Special teams did a pretty good job except that 1 kickoff return.

I'm very optimistic about this upcoming season and see us winning around 6 games.

GOOD LUCK TO THE BOYS!!! MAKE US PROUD!!

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Ya! SJax only played the opening series and our starters still donkey punched the Cheatriots starters.

Brady tore up the bench of a team coming off of a 1-15 year in the second half...big deal. Our starters WHOOPED their starters.

GO RAMMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

The simplest way I can answer your question is alot sooner than we, or anyone else for that matter, thinks..The team hasnt just shown "flashes", but the ABiLiTY to compete and maintain a high level of play...
    Last edited by unorthodox1999; -08-27-2010 at 08:07 PM.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    We just went on the road and monkey stomped the Patriots. We also have the easiest schedule and division I've ever seen.

Why can't we win 10 games in 2010?
    I dont see a reason why not

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

You guys really have to come back to reality. The situation is that we dont have a very good team. I really feel the need to remind people that this is the PRESEASON. The lions went 4-0 in the preseason, then 0-16 in the regular season. The colts went 1-3 in the preseason, then won the superbowl. We all have to realize that the future is bright, but the future comes tomorrow not today. If everyone gets their hopes up this high your dreams will crash and burn, then you will feel like crap. All I am saying is that we shouldnt expect to much, 4-5 wins at most.