Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

when did we become an O team??

every team in the NFL is known for havin a good D or a good O apart from the whiners!LOL

e.g Steelers,Ravens,Pats,Jets etc.... a great D.....Rams,Colts etc... great on O!

very rarely are teams great on both sides of the ball or all 3 if you include special teams!

many of our former greats,probably more than the O have come from the D side of the ball,so this begs the question when did we become an O team??

id say this took place around the late eighties early nineties,ok so we did have a great running game with Dickerson etc.... but IMHO the overall balance of the team shifted a few years after he left to join the Colts.

WHAT SAY YE??

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: when did we become an O team??

Most recently, the answer would have to be '99. Before that we spent a decade being an average to below average offense. In '88 and '89, we had a great offense, thanks in part to the best years Greg Bell spent in the NFL. However, before that you have to fall back to the 1982 and beyond to find a consistent offense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

I agree with Bison to a large extent, but I would add that the rise of the offense started after the decline of the Defense after the Fearsome Foresome (70's) years were over and to a lesser extent after the Youngblood/Dyer years (late 70's/early 80's). That may have been the timeframe of transition, because they had very good defense and a one dimentional Offense (Running game). After that you have to go through the Haden/Everett (I left out Feragamo - I think) years where the offense was credible, but the defense was just less than adequate(late 80's/early to mid 90's).

All this followed by the early St. Louis years and then up to 1999/2000. Since then solidly an offensive team.

I may have the chronology skewed, but I think I captured the flow I wanted to...

ARF:clanram:
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -05-17-2006 at 12:38 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Interesting question...

I'd say that in the 70s, the Rams were clearly known as a defensive team. Olsen, Jack and Jim Youngblood, Brooks, Dryer, Robertson, Reynolds, Cromwell, Perry, Thomas, Elmendorf and Simpson (to name a few) were anchors on a great defense that won 7 consecutive division titles and the NFC Championship in 1979.

The dominant feature of the 80s was the offensive line: Slater, Harrah, Saul, Pankey and Newberry helped Eric Dickerson and other Ram backs (including Charles White) excel in the running game.

The 90s was a dark time. About all there was to cheer for was the WR corps, which included Henry Ellard, Flipper Anderson and Isaac Bruce.

In 1999, the GSOT was born, and the Rams became known as an offensive team. The question is, will that continue under Linehan?

I'd say that in the 70s, the Rams were clearly known as a defensive team.
    Maybe it was a function of their great defense, but between '70 to '80, the Rams had top 10 offenses in 7 years.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rockisland-ram is offline Registered User

Check me if Im wrong, but wasnt this franchises start as an offensive team in the 50's?? Werent we club quarterback way beck when we began? I may be wrong, but thats what I always thought!

Quote Originally Posted by rockisland-ram
    Check me if Im wrong, but wasnt this franchises start as an offensive team in the 50's?? Werent we club quarterback way beck when we began? I may be wrong, but thats what I always thought!
    Yes, the Rams have always had great offenses, for the vast majority of the franchises history. However, in the early-mid 60's, the mid 70's (w/exception of '73), the mid 80's and all of the 90's (w/exception of '99).....the Rams offense was mediocre, and not what I would call a defining characteristic.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

While the Rams have had many good offensive teams in their history, they didn't become what would be classified as an offensive juggernaut that defined them as a team, until Mike Martz came to town.

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

The emergence of Jim Everrett as a passing threat in the 80's.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

id say the late 90's and mid 90's cuz thats when we drafted bruce, pace, holt, warner stepped up, we got faulk

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Maybe it was a function of their great defense, but between '70 to '80, the Rams had top 10 offenses in 7 years.
    Likewise, our '99 and '01 defenses were ranked 7th and 3rd in total yardage respectively. In '01 we allowed 17 points per game and led the NFC in total defense. We finished 7th in scoring defense despite the offense leading the league in turnovers (meaning the opposing offenses got the ball back in good field position a lot and we still kept them from scoring). People forget that during some of the best years of the GSOT we had one of the best defenses in the league, too.

I would argue that a lot of the best teams really aren't that lopsided towards one side of the ball. The Pats have a good D, but they haven't had too much trouble scoring the way Brady has spread the ball around. They scored at least 27 points in 6 of 16 games last season, and that was an off year. The year before they had at least 27 in 9 of 16 games. The pre-TO Eagles were another very balanced team that went to the NFC Championships year after year. Some teams like the Ravens or the Bears really are about just one side of the ball, but I think other teams get labeled O or D based on whichever is better hyped or more exciting. I don't know when we officially became an O team in the public eye, but certainly if we weren't before '99, we sure have been considered one since.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Excellent, excellent question -- opens a wide table of discussion, history and speculation!

For now, I'd like to cling onto R8rh8rmike's comment from post No. 8.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    While the Rams have had many good offensive teams in their history, they didn't become what would be classified as an offensive juggernaut that defined them as a team, until Mike Martz came to town.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-17-2006 at 09:07 PM.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I have to say when we got number 28......

Yes, we had some good offenses with Jim and Eric but Faulk and Martz took it to another level.

Faulk made Martz offense unstoppable...............

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

yea i agree and number 13 stepped up! 88-Holt, 80-Bruce, 28-Faulk, 13-Warner, and a Great Oline made our Offence Unstopable!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Most recently, the answer would have to be '99. Before that we spent a decade being an average to below average offense. In '88 and '89, we had a great offense, thanks in part to the best years Greg Bell spent in the NFL. However, before that you have to fall back to the 1982 and beyond to find a consistent offense.
    99' .................99'...................99'
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast