Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: When is the last time a coach made a play?

I was curious and I did not know for certain, so, rather than just spit out misleading numbers, I took a look at the dolphins 07 and 08 rosters.

By my count there were 35 new players on the 08 roster as compared to the 07 roster. So, a bit more changed than just Jake long and Chad Pennington, while both of those players did make a big difference as compared to their 07 counterparts.

I'm not trying to totally discount coaching. Certainly parcells and sparano played a part in the turnaround as well. But come on, 35 new players, that's a huge difference.

Also, the 07 dolphins lost a total of 6 games by 3 points. The 08 dolphins won 9 games by 9 points or less and 4 of those wins were by 5 points or less. These numbers reflect players making plays that win or lose games.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I was curious and I did not know for certain, so, rather than just spit out misleading numbers, I took a look at the dolphins 07 and 08 rosters.

By my count there were 35 new players on the 08 roster as compared to the 07 roster. So, a bit more changed than just Jake long and Chad Pennington, while both of those players did make a big difference as compared to their 07 counterparts.

I'm not trying to totally discount coaching. Certainly parcells and sparano played a part in the turnaround as well. But come on, 35 new players, that's a huge difference.

Also, the 07 dolphins lost a total of 6 games by 3 points. The 08 dolphins won 9 games by 9 points or less and 4 of those wins were by 5 points or less. These numbers reflect players making plays that win or lose games.

Your right the Dolphins did have a major roster change and most of them were downgrades. They went from Marty Booker and Chris Chambers to Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo. They went from Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas to Channing Crowder and Matt Roth. Crowder and Thomas may have been a wash because Crowder looks pretty good. They went from a lot of veterans to a lot of young guys. So who's coaching all these young guys? Also you practically proved it's mostly coaching yourself. The difference between last year and this year is they are winning games not finding ways to lose them.

If I go over the Rams roster I cant tell myself that Miami has a more talented roster can you? Both defenses had 30 sacks. Their defense had 18 int's our defense dropped 18 int's and still ended up with 12. Forced fumbles Rams had 18 to Miami's 17. Dypg we were 28th and they were 15th big difference, is that just Miami's superior talent compared to ours? On offense Miami was ranked 12th to our 27th, was that their superior offensive talent over ours? I think it was more coaching than talent.
    Just Fix It

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Your right the Dolphins did have a major roster change and most of them were downgrades. They went from Marty Booker and Chris Chambers to Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo. They went from Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas to Channing Crowder and Matt Roth. Crowder and Thomas may have been a wash because Crowder looks pretty good. They went from a lot of veterans to a lot of young guys. So who's coaching all these young guys? Also you practically proved it's mostly coaching yourself. The difference between last year and this year is they are winning games not finding ways to lose them.

If I go over the Rams roster I cant tell myself that Miami has a more talented roster can you? Both defenses had 30 sacks. Their defense had 18 int's our defense dropped 18 int's and still ended up with 12. Forced fumbles Rams had 18 to Miami's 17. Dypg we were 28th and they were 15th big difference, is that just Miami's superior talent compared to ours? On offense Miami was ranked 12th to our 27th, was that their superior offensive talent over ours? I think it was more coaching than talent.

I'm not saying it has to be one or the other...but please, if the this Rams team was an American Idol contestant.....Simon Cowell would have a field day. It has to be a combination of both and I think the Rams are on the right track because:

1. They finally got a football guy as GM
    2. They are beefing up their scouting department
    3. No more Ziggy and Shaw is nothing but a stuck paw.

I don't necessarily think that bringing in a new coach is going to change this team like the Dolphins did last year unless we get another Marshall Faulk like trade. This team needs a full body makeover, not just a new HC.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm not saying it has to be one or the other...but please, if the this Rams team was an American Idol contestant.....Simon Cowell would have a field day. It has to be a combination of both and I think the Rams are on the right track because:

1. They finally got a football guy as GM
    2. They are beefing up their scouting department
    3. No more Ziggy and Shaw is nothing but a stuck paw.

I don't necessarily think that bringing in a new coach is going to change this team like the Dolphins did last year unless we get another Marshall Faulk like trade. This team needs a full body makeover, not just a new HC.
    If the Rams players swapped jerseys with the Doplhins players you'd be saying the same thing about them. Miami just doesnt have a ton of talent. Look at their roster and tell me that team has 9 wins more worth of talent. Can you look at their roster and tell me that? I sure as heck can't. So I doubt Mr. Cowell could tell the difference between the two if they swapped jerseys.

I'm not saying it's all coaching either but I also can't look at Miami's roster and say that is one hell of a talented team. They had 11 wins in the AFC east for crying out loud. We couldnt beat 1 team in the NFC West.
    Just Fix It

I really don't like comparing one team to another because it's not apples to apples. Miami was competitive before last season, when's the last time the Rams were a threat anywhere except for the pocketbooks of their fans? Does anyone honestly think that a new HC is going to turn this team around without an influx of talent? I hope not. There is no way this team wins with this O line and this back 7 on defense. No way.

I think I am being misunderstood here. I do believe a coach is very important, but I don't think ANY coach can turn this team around with the players we have on the roster RIGHT NOW. It has to be a combination of both.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I really don't like comparing one team to another because it's not apples to apples. Miami was competitive before last season, when's the last time the Rams were a threat anywhere except for the pocketbooks of their fans? Does anyone honestly think that a new HC is going to turn this team around without an influx of talent? I hope not. There is no way this team wins with this O line and this back 7 on defense. No way.
    But can Garrett correctly help evaluate and bring in the players? In Dallas the talent was already there when he took the job. This is a concern.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Also you practically proved it's mostly coaching yourself. The difference between last year and this year is they are winning games not finding ways to lose them.
    Maybe in your mind it proved that it is all due to coaching, but not in my mind. And it is certainly not tangible proof either way.

Let me set something straight. To me there is a difference between a head coach and an entire coaching staff. I'd give credit to an entire coaching staff before I'd single out a head coach and give him all the credit. Although Chris Collingsworth says otherwise when it comes to belichick. Collingsworth claims it's all just belichick, but that's another story.

In the NFL I believe it takes an entire organization; coaching staff, front office, personnel dept and of course the players to achieve success on the field.

Having said that I still believe that football is first and foremost a players game. Coaches coach and in most cases they call the plays. It takes teamwork on the field and the players make the plays that win and lose games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12