sbramfan is offline Registered User

When Mike Martz Jumped the Shark....

Now I know that the majority of us here wished that Mike Martz would have fixed the special teams and the defense and kept his job, and even though he was apparently fired for his issues with the FO, in my mind, there was a coaching turning point as well...

The Rams were 4-3 last year heading into the bye. Mike Martz had an extra week to prepare for the coach that had out-coached him in the Superbowl. The Rams had the Patriots at home. They came out flat, and with a terrible game plan. I don't even remember the exact play, but at some point the Rams called a trick play that didn't fool anyone, and they were already losing big time. It made me sick. This was Martz' big payback for the Superbowl loss? The Pats put up 40 points that day and was a terrible loss at home.

I also believe the players got the bye week off and recall being frustrated with that as well. As if they were still the team that was rolling over people and deserved the time off, when they should have been practicing in pads to learn how to tackle that week...

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: When Mike Martz Jumped the Shark....

When did Martz jump the shark? When he said something like the following with respect to the SB loss:

"In looking back, I would have passed even more than I did"

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Great post sb. Yeah, I remember that all too well, although I had to listen in to the radio when I could. A frustrating night for all of us.

But honestly, Martz was never the same after losing HIS Super Bowl. In effect Bilichec was Captain Mike's white whale.
    "The horror"

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Good question.

To me the moment when Mike Martz went from "Genius" to "Madman" came in the Divisional Round of the 2001 playoffs.

As you will recall, the Rams, who had been nearly unstoppable during the season, were blowing out the Packers. With the game well in hand, Martz inexplicably left Kurt Warner in, and he took a big shot that resulted in a rib injury.

Warner, with the help of some cortisone shots, gutted it out in the Championship Game and Super Bowl but, to this day, I wonder if the injury impacted his performance just enough to take away the Rams' edge.

In my mind, that may have been the moment things turned South.

moklerman is offline Registered User

The thing that really stuck out at me, when reading an article that layed out Martz's chronology, was the Jets game that he ran the score up in 2001. For some reason that stick out to me as when everything shifted on the Rams. All the self-inflicted stuff most people could care less about. It's part of the charm of Martz as a coach. But when he became "Mad" Martz and ran it up on the Jets (onside kick when up by 20+?), I think the "it's okay to root for the Rams" feeling went away.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I believe it was after the SB36 when Zygmunt turned on him. He no longer could roam through his laboratory experimenting on the cutting edge. At that point, he had to become a politician, and when that happens, nothing good can follow.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tta61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin
    Great post sb. Yeah, I remember that all too well, although I had to listen in to the radio when I could. A frustrating night for all of us.

But honestly, Martz was never the same after losing HIS Super Bowl. In effect Bilichec was Captain Mike's white whale.
    One of our guys needs to come up with something that we can feed the Rams games through our pcs to each of us! You knoe a rams network or something..any pc gods in our forum?.....lol

tta61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    The thing that really stuck out at me, when reading an article that layed out Martz's chronology, was the Jets game that he ran the score up in 2001. For some reason that stick out to me as when everything shifted on the Rams. All the self-inflicted stuff most people could care less about. It's part of the charm of Martz as a coach. But when he became "Mad" Martz and ran it up on the Jets (onside kick when up by 20+?), I think the "it's okay to root for the Rams" feeling went away.

My feelings EXACTLY....what goes around comes around! thanx mok

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

When he strayed from his own head coaching identity.

"I was really concerned about throwing it into the end zone and having the ball tipped or bumped. I just wanted to get this thing into overtime." ~ Mike Martz

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    When he strayed from his own head coaching identity.

"I was really concerned about throwing it into the end zone and having the ball tipped or bumped. I just wanted to get this thing into overtime." ~ Mike Martz

Good point...I never looked at it that way, but I think that you are on to something....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

fearlessone is offline Registered User

"I believe it was after the SB36 when Zygmunt turned on him. He no longer could roam through his laboratory experimenting on the cutting edge. At that point, he had to become a politician, and when that happens, nothing good can follow."

That was a great comment HUBison as was Ferter's.

I find it perplexing that everyone blames Martz for "his" SB loss.

I think it was his " possibly injured" QB, according to AV, that lost that game along with a blatantly missed intentional grounding call on Tom Terriffic and too many missed penalties that have been well documented by more than one of the members at ClanRAM.

When he had to be a politician dealing with the decline due to injuries to Warner, etc and into said Carolina playoff game is where he started to lose it.

The most see saw entertaining games ever on a NFL field. Bad for the ticker but it was great when he pulled off the Houdini comebacks.

I will miss him for his entertainment value.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Martz could have beat most NFL coaches in that Super Bowl, with or without the refs. But he was just out-coached by Bilicheck. The guy broke Martz down; and has had his number ever since. And he made it look easy. He exposed him and his flaws to the rest of the league. The arrogant MM never recovered.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -01-10-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    "The horror"

chiguy is offline Registered User

"I should've thrown more."

Seriously people.