throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    When surfing the information superhighway for Rams or NFL news, it is important to avoid the biggest sources of misinformation on the web. Here is a list of the worst offenders:

7. Chris Mortenson
    I like Mort. He's actually a Rams fan going back to the L.A. days. Unfortunately, he seems to have responded to the competition in his field by overreaching in an effort to break a story. I wouldn't say you can never trust him, but beware.

6. Adam Schefter
    Schefter has good sources and often breaks stories. His problem is that he likes to blur the line between speculation and information. As a result, he often is caught reporting a "done deal" that is anything but.

5. Bernie Miklasz
    Bernie is an interesting example of reporting. If he says something has happened, he's usually accurate. On the other hand, if he says something is about to happen, his batting average is about that of a pitcher who was just traded from an American League team to the National League.

4. RotoWorld.com
    This site's primary purpose is to give information for fantasy sports players. It has very little original content. Most of its "reports" are just paraphrasing of other news stories, with comments (which, in my experience, are rarely on the mark). The worst example of sound bite media out there.

3. HadleyOnSports.com
    John Hadley does not do much reporting, but when he does, its always a dramatic "you heard it here first" announcement. Only one problem... he's wrong about 75% of the time.

2. ProFootballTalk.com
    This gossip site has a well-deserved reputation for misinformation (most notably, for falsely reporting that Terry Bradshaw had died). Its main writer, Mike Florio (who, I'm sorry to say, is a lawyer too) wants to be a big time player in the internet sports arena. To be kind, let's just say he's trying way too hard. Also... Mike... dude... you are NOT funny. Stop trying to be. No matter how many times you quote Seinfeld... Larry David you ain't.

1. Internet Message Boards
    If you ever read a report on a message board from somebody (particularly a person with few posts on the board) claiming to have inside information, ignore it. Its fake. Every time. Count on it (need I remind you of the Torry Holt/Chad Johnson trade rumor?)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: When Searching for Rams/NFL Information, Here Are the LEAST Reliable Sources

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    2. ProFootballTalk.com
    This gossip site has a well-deserved reputation for misinformation (most notably, for falsely reporting that Terry Bradshaw had died). Its main writer, Mike Florio (who, I'm sorry to say, is a lawyer too) wants to be a big time player in the internet sports arena.
    Yes, beat you by 15 minutes!. I've finally made a point before AV could make it! Woo-hoo!

Also, I wonder how Bernie feels about his #5 ranking? Is he relieved to be lower down the AV crap pole, OR is he ticked for being less of a story than if he ranked higher?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: When Searching for Rams/NFL Information, Here Are the LEAST Reliable Sources

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yes, beat you by 15 minutes!. I've finally made a point before AV could make it! Woo-hoo!

Also, I wonder how Bernie feels about his #5 ranking? Is he relieved to be lower down the AV crap pole, OR is he ticked for being less of a story than if he ranked higher?
    Great minds think alike! Some Rep coming your way, my friend!

Mooselini Guest

Well we all knew Bernie isn't the most reliable source. I've been saying that since I entered the Clan Ram, and I'm sticking with my story.

PFT is one of the funniest things I've seen ever.

Thanks for the heads up Av.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think Bernie gets a bad rap here but that's just my opinion.

Tell you what, from now on.....why don't we make a list of people that the Clan does NOT want to have information from...Bernie included. Keep all PFT, Mike Florio, Bernie (BernieM included), Mort, and all others we deem not fit for posting and never post information from those people. I think that would really help. All most of you do is bash the heck out of Bernie anyway so to me it's a waste of space. Just keep it to Howard, Jeff Gordon and Jim Thomas. Sounds good to me.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yeah, whoever came up with that Holt/Johnson rumor is a complete punk! I mean, yeah, I heard it on the radio and all, just like that dude, but it was completely false when it came down to it! Grr, that made me so mad!

BernieM is offline Registered User

I have multiple unnamed sources who confirmed that there was definitely some discussion of a Torry Holt for Chad Johnson. Clearly, if fans were discussing it on the internet, it must be true.

Had the trade happened, I would have been the one to break the story.

So, until you have something go away....

tim Guest

i don't understand why so many people dislike PFT. maybe 2 years ago it was bad. anything that's a rumor is clearly labeled as such (if you read). the guy also writes for Sporting News, appears on radio shows, etc, so it's not like he's some random dude.

anyways, it's a nice change from the normal sports news outlets IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    i don't understand why so many people dislike PFT. maybe 2 years ago it was bad. anything that's a rumor is clearly labeled as such (if you read). the guy also writes for Sporting News, appears on radio shows, etc, so it's not like he's some random dude.

anyways, it's a nice change from the normal sports news outlets IMO.
    First of all, he writes a "blog" for SportingNews. A trained monkey could do that. To appear on the radio, a monkey would not even require training.

As for his "rumors"... let me give you an example.

Weeks ago, he posted a "rumor" that John Shaw dictated that the Rams select Chris Long over Glenn Dorsey. This was based upon two facts: (1) Shaw flew into town during the week of the draft, and (2) Shaw apparently knows Howie Long. Hardly a basis to reach a conclusion. Nonetheless, he posted the "rumor."

In the days that followed, several of the local guys at the PD confirmed that the rumor was, in fact, entirely baseless.

So what does Florio do? He criticizes the Rams' draft by writing: "The rumors/reports are that Rams team president John Shaw decided Long would be the pick, regardless of the supposed wishes of the coaches or the scouts."

Nice system. First you create the rumor, then you ignore reports that demonstrate that the rumor is false, then you cite the rumor to support your opinion.

At this point, Florio is the unchallenged King of Misinformation.

I say we ban everything except for Howard Balzer, Barry Waller and Nick Waggoner. That way, everyone is satisfied.

Now, Tx... don't be silly.

You know I'd never be satisfied if I didn't bash the media at least once per week!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Now, Tx... don't be silly.

You know I'd never be satisfied if I didn't bash the media at least once per week!

Well ok, if I didn't have Tye Hill to kick around or HUb asking me for backup of backup of the backup that was backedup when we did a backup of the backup I wouldn't know what to do either.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well ok, if I didn't have Tye Hill to kick around or HUb asking me for backup of backup of the backup that was backedup when we did a backup of the backup I wouldn't know what to do either.

And what exactly is your source for that backup?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HEADSLAP75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think Bernie gets a bad rap here but that's just my opinion.

Tell you what, from now on.....why don't we make a list of people that the Clan does NOT want to have information from...Bernie included. Keep all PFT, Mike Florio, Bernie (BernieM included), Mort, and all others we deem not fit for posting and never post information from those people. I think that would really help. All most of you do is bash the heck out of Bernie anyway so to me it's a waste of space. Just keep it to Howard, Jeff Gordon and Jim Thomas. Sounds good to me.

Yeah..... Like that!! txramsfan, nice thread huh?.... Thanks for taking time away from the grass and paint, being the off-season and all, your still needed here.

I'm new to this board TRF. I'm finding my way around slowly, I don't want to step into a puddle of slop. I' ve attempted to figure out that power meter up in the right hand corner, yours must be broke, cause it should read right off the page "RAMS FAN". Mod plus, plus..........

My ol man told me..... "Son, the best choices in life are the ones you make yourself " Damn,... with my post count,... no one will believe it.

LA RAMS FAN.... HEADSLAP75.... JUST RAMS BABY!!