Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: When we lose.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

When we lose.

Why is it that when we lose, people start acting like idiots, no offence. Like seriously. Why are people questioning the draft choices of Bradford, Jason Smith, Kendricks? Smith I guess, but even he has had his highs. Spags and Devaney fired? REALLY?

It seems like the same thing every week. We lose, and people are looking for changes. I cant believe some of the patience you guys have. I mean NOBODY expected us to go 8-0 in the first half of the season, we all knew what we were getting into. We KNEW that to make the playoffs, it would be because of our 2nd half of the schedule. We still have many games, and we will improve.

Lets not forget, it took Kyle Orton 2 years to grasp McDaniels offense, and trust me, it will be worth it.
    Torry Holt and ZiaRam like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: When we lose.

That's the nature of the current generation, sosa. They think you can watch "60 Minutes" in half an hour.
    VegasRam and ManofGod like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

There's a song on this year's madden that sums up this generation perfectly. Lyrics go like this: "I want it all and I want it right now."

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    There's a song on this year's madden that sums up this generation perfectly. Lyrics go like this: "I want it all and I want it right now."
    I guess those will have to develop some patience. I feel like another solid draft and a couple key additions in free agency and were well on our way to the playoffs. If we can land a WR, or CB in the first round we will be set. I like Kirkpatrick at CB, Floyd or Jeffery at WR.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I haven't seen too many posts saying that Spags and BillyD need to go right now, but rather that if this season's downward trend continues throughout the year, serious thoughts must be given about their future here. I love Bradford, but bottom line, he needs to be playing better. None of the 2011 rookies have contributed meaningfully, and that must change. Jason Smith is Jason Smith.

And again, its not about being 0-3, its about getting blown out and being flat-out non-competitive in those three games. Opposing team's defenses have as many touchdowns as our offense for pete's sake! If I'm an idiot for finding that not acceptable whatsoever, then I guess I'm an idiot.

Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean by Kyle Orton took two years to learn McD's system. Orton's 2010 Quarterback rating was literally a point higher than it was in 2009. And Orton's stats in 2009 weren't bad: 3,802 yards, 21 TD's, and 12 INT's.

richtree is offline Registered User

It's not that we "lost" so to say.....It's how we lost...Bradford doesn't seemed improved.

Our new Offensive-Line seems to be average, and our team as a whole is looking down....

Hope isn't around, and the games are depressing. Our defense over-achieved last year, and is back down to earth.

Our offense that showed some promise in the per-season, seems to have taken a step backwards.

After being down 21-0 to the Ravens, it would have been nice to comeback and put up 21 points our-self.

Even if we lost 34-21 that would have felt good for the offense. Instead it was no-contest.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Let me add my perspective since I do not fall into any category except AARP. I would like to suggest adding to your title of "When we Lose and look like buffons." To me, there is a difference. Let's recap:

spags into his 3rd year
    -----> Pardon the examples here but I live in SF Bay area and there are two teams here that are doing well from a record perspective. Raiders are 2-1 and playing very inspired ball under 1st year coach Hue Jackson
    -------> Whiners are leaving Singletary era in the rear view mirror and were a whisker away from a 3-0 start. New coach Jim Harbaugh has them believing they are actually worthy. And, he is doing it with Alex Smith. Yes, we could debate toughness of schedule tc but the pount here winning and competitive play can happen in a coaches first year. Oh, and they are learning new offensive scheme and had to deal with the lockout like every other team in NFL

Woeful exhibition on field
    -------> numerous missed tackles. I do not have stat handy (sorry) but many have come on 3rd down where we had the opposing player dead to rights and whiffed badly keeping our tired D out there for god knows how much longer
    --------> We have 3 offensive TD's. This number matches the same amount of TD's scored by our opposing teams due to our turnovers.
    ---------> We are 2nd in penalties. I do not recall the Rams ever being on this dubious category.

Some of our top draft picks our not performing

------>We benched the 2nd player taken in the 2009 draft yesterday
    ------>Saffold is lost at times
    ------>Salas, nuff said 9He may be good, time will tell but wow
    ------>Quinn, inactive first week because??
    ------> Kendricks finding out preseason is for your mommy

Let me sum up my feelings. I am not from the "I expect it now generation" that is referred to by OP and others. I am simply a lifelong Ram fan. I did not expect a switch to go on and voila we are SB contenders. I most assuredly expect that any Ram team plays competitively. I expect a coach in his third season to have the team more prepared. I expect our talent scouts/GM to have brought the right folks into the folks so the coaches have something to work with that is meaningful and get us closer to being a viable contender in the NFL. I expect that we have ownership that opens up checkbook to support his/her FO. I expect that we are not the embarrasment of the NFL.

Schedules , injuries happen. Bone head play on the field is completely avoidable.

I understand both of you guys, its depressing to watch. We have been flat out embarrassed in the past 3 weeks. Just because I'm positive doesn't mean I don't see the bad and weakness in the team. I do think we need to improve drastically and quickly. Its just the manner that people represent themselves in.

I hope we can pull it together and make the playoffs like everybody else. Cut back on sloppy play, no penalties, no setbacks (defensive TD's) and move the ball effectively, especially in the redzone.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Let me add my perspective since I do not fall into any category except AARP. I would like to suggest adding to your title of "When we Lose and look like buffons." To me, there is a difference. Let's recap:

spags into his 3rd year
    -----> Pardon the examples here but I live in SF Bay area and there are two teams here that are doing well from a record perspective. Raiders are 2-1 and playing very inspired ball under 1st year coach Hue Jackson
    -------> Whiners are leaving Singletary era in the rear view mirror and were a whisker away from a 3-0 start. New coach Jim Harbaugh has them believing they are actually worthy. And, he is doing it with Alex Smith. Yes, we could debate toughness of schedule tc but the pount here winning and competitive play can happen in a coaches first year. Oh, and they are learning new offensive scheme and had to deal with the lockout like every other team in NFL

-------> numerous missed tackles. I do not have stat handy (sorry) but many have come on 3rd down where we had the opposing player dead to rights and whiffed badly keeping our tired D out there for god knows how much longer
    --------> We have 3 offensive TD's. This number matches the same amount of TD's scored by our opposing teams due to our turnovers.
    ---------> We are 2nd in penalties. I do not recall the Rams ever being on this dubious category.

Let me sum up my feelings. I am not from the "I expect it now generation" that is referred to by OP and others. I am simply a lifelong Ram fan. I did not expect a switch to go on and voila we are SB contenders. I most assuredly expect that any Ram team plays competitively. I expect a coach in his third season to have the team more prepared. I expect our talent scouts/GM to have brought the right folks into the folks so the coaches have something to work with that is meaningful and get us closer to being a viable contender in the NFL. I expect that we have ownership that opens up checkbook to support his/her FO. I expect that we are not the embarrasment of the NFL.

Schedules , injuries happen. Bone head play on the field is completely avoidable.
    I do not disagree with you what so ever. I expect for my team to be competitive in every game and to be in the playoffs year in and year out. My expectations are no lower than yours. All I am saying is some people are arrogant. I thought we would make it this year, but look at the schedule. We have been brought back down to earth after last years season. I hope we can turn it around and do something productive. Its stupid self inflicted wounds that continue to kill us all the time.

kman is offline Registered User

I dotn think people here expect us to win the SB this year or even next year...we are pissed bc the way they lose..its simply unacceptable, and fro myself Im tired of hearing the same excuses...at some point they need to step up and win some of them...either they are in the game and shoot themselves in the foot, or they get blown out...not acceptable and theres blame all over the place

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

I don't question Jason Smith, I question his contract but I guess that is a different topic. This has become a win now league and with the Rams making a jump last year, everyone wanted a bigger jump. It seems like we are not ready for that just yet, but this is not a lost season. We just have a hard set of teams to play in the first 8 weeksWe will win the west and make the playoffs, no worries!!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post

spags into his 3rd year

Excellent post, Macrammer. Agree 100%. The examples you brought up are all fair and on point. All of these supposedly "bad" teams have played competitively- Carolina, Cinci, Minnesota, KC this week. We look awful. Problem is, many around her have preached the "be patient" mantra since time immemorial. Hey, guys, by 2018 we'll be in great position. We just need to be patient. We need at least 15 years to undo the bad drafts and damage done by the front office and Scott Linehan. What a bunch of garbage.

I've stated it in one form or another on various posts: there is reason for concern. No fire. No discipline. Stupid penalties. Bad fundamentals. Uncompetitive football. This isn't negativity, this is truth. Open your eyes.

I have NEVER questioned the Bradford or Smith picks. Kendricks in my mind is a question mark because of our need for a game breaking receiver and we went and picked a tight end. Don't tell me "well, McDaniels features the tight end in his offense, blah, blah, blah," unless the guy is Tony Gonzalez or Kellen Winslow Senior, pick a receiver.

Respect is earned. When the Rams start playing like a team with a clue, my mindset will improve. Patience died a long time ago.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

rayzorram is offline Registered User

Let's face it , we all knew in looking at the schedule at the least I felt at this time we would possibly be 1 and 2 and beat the redskins to go 2 and 2. I don't understand bringing Jackson in as a role player to be used cautiously . Maybe Spags just wanted to get Jackson back into game time exposure because his 23 yards on 4 carries and a paltry passing performance definitely wasn't proof that his presence in the backfield would make the Raven's respect the run and open up the passing game. Remember what this Raven defense did to the Steelers in week one. I do believe we will still win in Washington however the reality of how this team is playing won't be enough to even consider holding Rodgers and Brees in check. I HOPE I'M WRONG

RebelYell is online now Registered User

We went through a 3-year rebuilding program with Linehan and it ended horribly.
    We are in the 3rd season of a rebuilding program with Spags and he admits he doesn't know why they are playing poorly. I don't jump off bridges at the first sign of trouble but I expected more fight out of this group.

In the 3 games played so far, 2 have been teams I've predicted to be in their respective Conference Championship Games so I'm not seeing the end of the world but I expected more fight from this group. The thing that most disappoints me are the roster choices (there are a few like cutting Thad Lewis and the lack of a CB being added?) but it's the in-game decision making. In year one the excuse was Spags didn't have experience. Year two it was a head scratcher at times. This year, excuses don't cut it. Giants game / 6 minutes left and 4th and 4 / down by 2 TDs and they punt. The excuse? They didn't want to get Bradford hurt. Why not go for two with 2 minutes left in the 3rd? They wanted to keep it close.

That stuff should have been worked out before last season.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    We went through a 3-year rebuilding program with Linehan and it ended horribly.
    We are in the 3rd season of a rebuilding program with Spags and he admits he doesn't know why they are playing poorly. I don't jump off bridges at the first sign of trouble but I expected more fight out of this group.

In the 3 games played so far, 2 have been teams I've predicted to be in their respective Conference Championship Games so I'm not seeing the end of the world but I expected more fight from this group. The thing that most disappoints me are the roster choices (there are a few like cutting Thad Lewis and the lack of a CB being added?) but it's the in-game decision making. In year one the excuse was Spags didn't have experience. Year two it was a head scratcher at times. This year, excuses don't cut it. Giants game / 6 minutes left and 4th and 4 / down by 2 TDs and they punt. The excuse? They didn't want to get Bradford hurt. Why not go for two with 2 minutes left in the 3rd? They wanted to keep it close.

That stuff should have been worked out before last season.
    I agree some of the late game play calls are extremely questionable. Why would he punt 2 consecutive weeks in a row down in the 4th quarter? It can't get any worse, and we still haven't fully given up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast