Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    turbofargo is offline Registered User

When will Bradford's contract be done

Will it be done before the ownership issue is complete or will it be contingent on the completion of the new deal. When do talks usually heat up?

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: When will Bradford's contract be done

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    Will it be done before the ownership issue is complete or will it be contingent on the completion of the new deal. When do talks usually heat up?
    if the Rams want him to play in '10, it had BETTER be done before the ownership issue is completed! i highly doubt ownership will be figured out before training camp. word is that the owners don't even have the Kroenke/Rams issue on their upcoming mtg agenda and are trying to set a summer mtg for all the upcoming Player's Agreement stuff and may address it then.

anyways, seems like each year, the agents and teams are always looking around at the other 1st round picks to see what kind of numbers are getting thrown around and where they fit in. but once a few start signing, the rest start to follow suit. Now that the rookie mini's are out of the way, we should start to see some signings pop up. so long as its done in time so he can attend training camp, i'll be happy.
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -05-14-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: ma furst attempt be confusin

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

You can bet your a** Sam Bradford won't be missing time due to contracts, I guarantee that. Don't even worry about man, not even the late round picks have deals yet.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    You can bet your a** Sam Bradford won't be missing time due to contracts, I guarantee that. Don't even worry about man, not even the late round picks have deals yet.
    So they won't be in camp either. Wonderful....

(jk )

general counsel is offline Registered User

How can anyone be sure that bradford wont miss time for a contract dispute. We dont even know how much money he is asking. If he asks the rumoured 50 mill, dont be surprised if chip wont pay it. Bradford has no where to go. Sure, it would badly hurt the rams for him to miss time, but again, there are no certainties with the rams until the ownership situation is resolved.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

People talk about Bradford's leverage, and he certainly has plenty, but I also think he will be highly motivated to sign before camp. Don't forget, he had to sit out most of last season, and I'm sure he's itching to get back on the field.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    People talk about Bradford's leverage, and he certainly has plenty, but I also think he will be highly motivated to sign before camp. Don't forget, he had to sit out most of last season, and I'm sure he's itching to get back on the field.
    I wonder how much salve $50M buys... not as much as we think no doubt after taxes? After Federal, State, and local taxes and inflation 25-30M just won't go as far as it used to.

I realize that pro athletes in general, and NFL players even more so, have a limited window of opportunity in which to make their money, but I often think a great part of the blame is the agents trying to get even richer off the fatter contracts.

I still am in favor of an NBA type rookie salary cap (actually 3 years I understand) to make things more equitable for the veteran players and reducing, if not eliminating, hold-out? Well maybe the added 'perks' become the bargaining chip unless they also are addressed by the Rookie Salary Cap contract?

But I digress.....

Bradford may want back on the field ASAP but his agent only cares about the $$$$$.

Requested Contract: 6 years/ $78 million with $50 million guaranteed
    For you stat mongers here is a peek at why he thinks he deserves that kind of money;

Sam Bradford is one of the most gifted quarterbacks to enter the NFL draft in a while. He is a Heisman Trophy winner and was one of the most accurate quarterbacks while in college. After injuring his shoulder in his final season with Oklahoma, there were many that doubted his ability to fight back from that injury and be a successful quarterback in the NFL. Bradford fought hard and worked endlessly to show the NFL teams that he was worthy of their pick. After seeing Bradford at his OU Pro Day, Rams’ GM Bill Devaney knew that this kid was the one. Sam Bradford is a beacon of hard work, perseverance, and mental toughness.

Here are the 1st overall contracts from the years 2007-2009 (percentage increase/decrease from the previous year is shown and reflects the per year amounts):

* 2007: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU (Raiders)– 6 years/$61 million
    * 2008: Jake Long, OT, Michigan (Dolphins) – 5 years/$57.75 million (+13.68%)
    * 2009: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia (Lions)– 6 years/$72 million (+3.90%)

Here are the guaranteed amounts given to each of these players:

* 2007: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU (Raiders) – 6 years/$31.5 million
    o $5.25 million/year
    * 2008: Jake Long, OT, Michigan (Dolphins) – 5 years/$30 million
    o $6 million/year (+14.28%)
    * 2009: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia (Lions) – 6years/$41.75 million
    o $6.96 million/year (+16%)

Player Years Cmp Att Yards CMP% YPA TD INT RAT%
    Bradford 3 604 893 8,403 64.6% 9.02 88 16 163.96
    Russell 3 493 797 6,625 59.7% 8.1 52 21 143.59
    Stafford 3 564 987 7,731 56.6 7.7 51 33 130.48
    So, it is ONLY a 16% increase over what lat year's #1 overall pick signed for.

Much higher than the rate of inflation but then it's only money...

I think Bradford would be there yesterday but his agent, Tom Condon, needs to feed HIS kids too.

this is where I got my numbers... sportsagentblog.com/2010/05/10/lets-make-a-deal-sam-bradford/
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Let's be realistic here. If you think that we drafted Bradford without expecting to shell out a large amount of money your kidding yourself. Both Condon and Demoff know the basics of what it will take to get Bradford signed. They already have the money sitting aside for signing their draft picks like they've said a ridiculous amount of times already. Chip won't have to write another check...

There is no certainty that the World won't blow to hell tomorrow but that doesn't mean I'm going to worry about it for no solid reason. Same with this. Noone is signed as of yet on any team. Bradford has made it obvious he wants to get it in and get to work and Condon has close ties to the Saint Louis area.

I see no reason to think that Bradford will miss any time at all.
    Last edited by Bralidore(RAMMODE); -05-15-2010 at 12:37 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

How can you say "Chip wont have to write another check" That statement is flat out wrong. All money that the rams pay out comes out of Chip's proceeds. Whether he has to put more cash into the business is besides the point. In business, cash is a fungible asset. Every dollar that he pays out is one less dollar in his pocket.

Of course, the rams knew that they were going to have to pay a lot of money and i am not questioning whether they are prepared to do that. My pint is that the devil is in the details. "A Lot" is not a number. There is a big difference between paying what stafford got and paying 20% or more on top of that. "The money is set aside" is simply not a good argument and i dont care how many times the rams front office says anything, logic and results say otherwise in terms of willingness to spend money during a time of transition in the sale of any business. Why do you think that the rams are going to go public about their internal business issues. Can you think of any other business that does that? What do you expect them to say when they are trying to sell tickets "We are in transition and really dont have any long term incentive of any kind to spend any money that we dont feel we have to."

The rams will pay bradford if he is reasonable. If he is not reasonable it could get really ugly. Without knowing the details of the actual bid ask, there is just no way to know when bradford will be in camp. If he really insists on 20% more than stafford got last year guaranteed at a time when teams are retrenching and getting ready for the upcoming lockout, this could indeed take a while.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

There does seem to be one encouraging thing relating to the approaching contract negotiations and the Rams new FO. Our new chief negotiator (Kevin Demoff) certainly has NFL contract negotiating bloodlines, just as Devaney and Spags have their own wealth of experience relative to what they were hired to do. I have always had the feeling the former FO regime relished being "tough guys" ie "we'll show you who's boss." It seemed that ego was too often an integral part of their negotiations.

The current FO group appears diametrically opposed to such posturing. Kevin had the benefit of learning from his Dad's many years of experience, and that combined with his own knowledge, and experience imbues him with knowledge and wisdom perhaps beyond his years in his particular field.

In days of yesteryear, the Rams had a well deserved reputation of being very difficult to negotiate with. It's one thing to try and hammer out an agreement that has a degree of fairness to both sides, but stonewalling to show who's boss is counterproductive. I strongly believe this particularly negative aspect so enamored by the former regime is finally dead and gone.

Whatever negotiations occur between Bradford's agent and Demoff, likely will be free of negative unproductive ego driven posturing.

Surely the Rams knew that selecting the top rated Qb in the draft would cost plenty .. I don't see them trying to lowball Bradford. Tom Condon is not Carl Poston. He and Kevin should be able to reach a deal without undue acrimony. So - will Sam miss a few days of camp? Maybe, but I doubt it will stretch into weeks and turn ugly. It's in Sam's best interest to be in camp on time as it is in the Rams' as well. The deal should get done in a reasonable amount of time. Also in the time frame prior to camp, is the issue of all the other Rams' draft picks needing to be signed. Sam Bradford is not Condon's only client either, so it could take some time - likely down to the wire or a little after, but unless Bradford/Condon are asking for outrageous money, something unreasonable, this deal should get done in time for Sam to participate in at least 98% of camp .. My two cents anyway ...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Bradford was a 3.o something Business Finance Major at OU. I bet he sees the big picture a little better than most first picks of the draft. That being said, he should hold out for everything he can get. I would. He is in the negotiating lead right now, but I would hate to see this get nasty.

There is no indication that Bradford will be hard to sign and if there has been any indications at all, its that Bradford will participating in everything this offseason. Bradford has stated that he's confident Condon will get him onto the field on time and that he lets Condon handle all of the business things, so Bradford saying 48-50 mill isn't enough money doesn't seem likely in the slightest.

How about they don't say everything is going bad because it isn't going bad. Why must we assume that everyone is full of crap when it comes to everything and that everything the FO says is a double talking lie? Everything Devaney says is taken as the complete (and usually extreme) opposite. When has the guy really flat out lied?

Bradford seems to have his head on straight (but who knows, he could worship Baul by night..) and his family seems to be very well off. Why would he jeopardize this opportunity so he perhaps can get an extra 1-2 mill on top of his estimated 48-50 mill or let his agent do so. Both sides want to get the deal done as quick as possible. So why should I think that Condon is going to try and insult the Rams with some ridiculous money offer. Especially given Condon's ties to Saint Louis.

The doomsday scenario just doesn't seem applicable here so excuse me if I can't start chanting the sky is falling. But some say the best way to prepare is to see everything in worst case scenario and though it contradict every indication I've seen, Bradford COULD hold out. It just seems unlikely.

SanDog is offline Registered User

I'm a little worried, personally. Just about whether the ownership situation will affect the signing. It's purely paranoia on my part, and I won't feel better about it until not only him but all our picks are inked and in camp.

But, we are in good hands with Condon. Not only does he get his guys into camps with fair deals, but when you consider how important Bradford is to this regime I think they'll go all out to get him signed. If history is any indication, Detroit will have their hands full getting Suh signed since his representation is the Postons and they'll probably seek money based on him being the recognized best player in the draft.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    There is no indication that Bradford will be hard to sign and if there has been any indications at all, its that Bradford will participating in everything this offseason. Bradford has stated that he's confident Condon will get him onto the field on time and that he lets Condon handle all of the business things, so Bradford saying 48-50 mill isn't enough money doesn't seem likely in the slightest.

How about they don't say everything is going bad because it isn't going bad. Why must we assume that everyone is full of crap when it comes to everything and that everything the FO says is a double talking lie? Everything Devaney says is taken as the complete (and usually extreme) opposite. When has the guy really flat out lied?

Bradford seems to have his head on straight (but who knows, he could worship Baul by night..) and his family seems to be very well off. Why would he jeopardize this opportunity so he perhaps can get an extra 1-2 mill on top of his estimated 48-50 mill or let his agent do so. Both sides want to get the deal done as quick as possible. So why should I think that Condon is going to try and insult the Rams with some ridiculous money offer. Especially given Condon's ties to Saint Louis.

The doomsday scenario just doesn't seem applicable here so excuse me if I can't start chanting the sky is falling. But some say the best way to prepare is to see everything in worst case scenario and though it contradict every indication I've seen, Bradford COULD hold out. It just seems unlikely.
    I think General Counsel's bigger concern is that Ownership won't offer even the "reasonable" $48-50 million guaranteed/$80 million overall. All we have officially from the Rams is that money is set aside in the budget for picks. They never said how much money Chippy Boy made available.

Also, assuming the worst has been a pretty safe bet the last 3-4 years out of Rams Park. Don't blame us for doing it now.

Eh, as long as your assuming the worst doesn't have an effect on reality, go for it. I don't see how one can have fun rooting for a team when all they do is conjure up the worst possible situation out of anything. At least have strong reasoning behind the scenario before you let it swallow you up.

I won't tell someone else how to be a fan however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast