Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Where did the Rams go wrong?

I light of recent events (0-5) I find myself wondering, "Where did the Rams go wrong?". Where exactly did it happen or what chain of events lead to the demise of an up and coming dynasty? I realize that typically in todays salary cap impacted NFL that your not going to get teams that dominate for a decade, but the Rams time in the lime light seemed to have ended as quickly as it started. This post is more for information than anything. I've been sifting through websites trying to find information that could lead me to a better understanding of what happened. Was it poor drafting? Was it the salary cap? Did the NFL adjust to the Rams and the Rams not get the memo? All I know is that in January of 2000 I thought that with the personnel in place that it was a lock that more Rams players would be hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

Looking for historical data on player salaries, contracts and trades. The Rams had 3 #1 picks in 2001 for which they traded the defense away. Did the FO act too rashly to a defense that was hungover from the Super bowl? Were the players traded for these draft picks cancers or money grubbers? I need more information because looking at the partial picture that to me leads me to believe that the Rams FO may be one of the worst ever. Or was it the coaches? The coordinators? Or did this team just rest on it's laurels?

If somebody could point me in the right direction or provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Ram4Life83 is offline Registered User

Re: Where did the Rams go wrong?

I think there was and is a confusion about the identity of this team. When the greatest show on turf was in full effect, it caught the entire league by surprise. Then I think the Rams got caught up in trying to be the Rams as soon as Dick Vermeil. Suddenly the team got a little pass happy, and cute. The moves they made in the off season and in free agency were to get a faster defense that would be able to keep a lead and slow down a passing game. But all the while they were becoming less effective as an offense with the decline in play and aging of key players on offense who were never successfully replaced. I think it goes back to not calling plays that is best suited for your personel, and building a team while disillusioned as to where your strengths and weaknesses lie. Right now if healthy we could be one of the best offenses in the league, but we still have an undersized defense that is built only to play with a big lead. I dunno if this made sense but I am frustrated and venting.

Kane is offline Registered User

I think it was a combination of things. Some of the better defensive players taht we had were allowed to leave (London Fletcher, Dre Bly, etc) and poor replacements were selected in their wake. Martz was not a great selctor of coaching staff, Lovie Smith aside, and so the team was always going to struggle to repeat success.

I still maintain that the Sperbowl XXXVI loss was down to attrocious officiating from people who clearly didn't know the meaning of pass interference.

djones39 is offline Registered User

No matter how you cut it, it all starts with the head coach. Vermeil put together a staff, and the players, which made this team unbeatable. Think back to that Super Bowl team, Prhoel, Holt, Faulk, Bruce, Conwell, Hakim, and a turnover hungry defense. The coach decides wo to draft, who to start, who calls the plays, which plays get called. We were lucky to hae a guy like Vermeil, since he left/retired, we haven't been the same.

All problems can be traced from the top down.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djones39 View Post
    No matter how you cut it, it all starts with the head coach. Vermeil put together a staff, and the players, which made this team unbeatable. Think back to that Super Bowl team, Prhoel, Holt, Faulk, Bruce, Conwell, Hakim, and a turnover hungry defense. The coach decides wo to draft, who to start, who calls the plays, which plays get called. We were lucky to hae a guy like Vermeil, since he left/retired, we haven't been the same.

All problems can be traced from the top down.
    You're right about the problems being traced from the top down. The "slide" from being a respected organization that was nearly always a lock to win the division, to a team that at times, is laughable, began with the death of Carroll Rosenbloom, and the rise of Madamn Ram. Outside of a couple seasons, this organization hasn't been the same since.

I do agree that Vermeil was able to overcome the bumbling front office and put together a great staff, if only for a short time. But don't forget that Dick's overall win/loss record with the Rams was 25-26. But he put together a pretty good staff of coaches included co-defensive coordinators Peter Giunta and John Bunting (who replaced Bud Carson in 1998) as well as Mike White, Jim Hanifan, Frank Gansz and Dick Coury. All respected, proven coaches.

I honestly don't believe the Ram's organization really cares about winning championships. As long as people plant their butts in the seats, and we make a playoff appearance every few years to keep up the interest, the front office thinks they've done their job. I hate what this organization has become, and I place the blame on Georgia. She's responsible for putting guys in charge that understand the game, and in turn, hire good football people. I think she's got people in place that care more about the bottom line, than football.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

That is one sweet sig pic RFRH!

Ram4Life83 is offline Registered User

Every head coach who finds consistent success says its a good owner. Is that true? What all does the owner do?

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Let me echo Ram4life. What does the owner do aside from sign checks?

So, everyone is on the same page with Dickey V? You guys are essentially saying that he was fortunate (as were we the fans) to be able to create a contender within the confines of a crumbling franchise?
    I think I heard somewhere that DV didn't particullarly want M.Faulk. He was convinced by others.

One thing that keeps sticking in my mind is the 2001 draft. THE RAMS HAD 3 #1 PICKS! As much as I like Lovie, he was on board for all of these picks. You guys remember how bad at drafting the Bengals were in the 90's. They always got the #1 pick and always blew it. Is that what this franchise did between 2000-2003? I feel that the Rams have not blown a first round pick since 2004.

Steven Jackson
    Alex Barron
    Tye Hill
    Adam Carriker

thoughts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Durning the preseason not to get the starters enough reps to get some continuity. Poor drafts we have been trying to build up our D-line for years the only one that was good was R. Pickett and we let him go to Green bay.
    :ramlogo:

blood85 is offline Registered User

It's a combination of things: Head coach acquisition, poor defense, bad front office moves, inadequate free agent pick ups,etc. With the exception of the one Playoff appearance vs the Panthers (I still believe most of the players left were because of DickyV)...I don't think the Rams have ever recovered from the loss to the patriots.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The owner signs the checks, but is ultimately responsible for how the team does. The owner is the one who hires and fires the front office who choose the coaches and players. Some owners are good because they put good people in their front office. Other owners are good because they are the front office, Jerry Jones being the prime example. To me, it all starts up top.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    The owner signs the checks, but is ultimately responsible for how the team does. The owner is the one who hires and fires the front office who choose the coaches and players. Some owners are good because they put good people in their front office. Other owners are good because they are the front office, Jerry Jones being the prime example. To me, it all starts up top.

Our Offense is chock full of superstars and mostly due to injuries we've sucked on offense, we're actually getting a lot better on defense. I don't think you can blame the FO on this one. I guess you can blame them for the LInehan hire, but he did fine last year, with no injuries who knows where we're at.

I say things started going bad when Pace was injured and have progressively gotten even worse when Jackson and Bulger went down.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

A Long time ago....

T. Green went down and an unknown took his place, K. Warner; the result, perhaps the must dynamic and explosive team in all of NFL history was born.

That is the short story that non-Ram fans know. But the truth is more complicated then that. Somewhere along the line, the Rams picked up Faulk and crew. And yes even got the evil genius MADMAN Martz. Honestly I bet even the coaching staff didn't exactly know what they had. The knew they had weapons, but just not that leathal.

Also, at that time there was an obvious push from front office to make a winning team. The went out of their way to acquire T. Green, M. Faulk, and had already invested in good defensive players. Sadly after the Rams march on Georgia, other teams and their wallets started to lure away key players. Where as part of it, the front office wasn't willing to ante up to retain choosing to hold on to K. Warner and a select few.

Stepping forward in time a bit-- things started to change. D. Vermil retired being one of them (pity he did since many non-Rams say his conquest was a fluke). But more importantly what was gone was addittude on defense. Watching an interview before the season opened, {DARn can't remember His name} said, "everyone one was going to bring their 'A' game..." referring to the fact the Rams where world champs.
    *****if ever that was an excuse, for I thought if you don't bring your "A" game every time you step on to the field regardless if your 0-5 or 5-0, you don't deserve to play professional football-PERIOD!*****************************************

If I had to put a finger on it was to what went wrong, it was that the DEFENSE losts its attitude and fire. Front office and the powers that be didn't recruite leadership for the defense. Which proves one saying wrong, "that a great offense is a good defense"--a lesson at least that the Colts (dolts) learned.

Second M. Martz was part of the problem. Mostly being is lack of long-term situational awareness, and inpart too overly-complex and confusing play calling. Between Martz "challenges" and Warners/Bulgers timeout calling the end of the 3rd quarter and certainly the 4th quarter in too many games where a nightmare. Further Martz never seemed to take stock in the fact he lost some key players to defection to other teams/retirement/general attrition. More to the point where Martz lost his impact was that too many teams where able to predict his schemes, and he never seemed to be able to recruit replacement talent or adapt creative plays to existing talent......maybe front office didn't help him where perhaps they ought to, but in part I think he just got too confortable.

THIRD, the Rams are indeed a business. Unlike Jerry Jones personal playthings, the Cowgirls, the Rams are run like a company with making a profit primarly in mind. J. Jones plays with his cowboys as if they where action-figures and fuel his over inflated ego. How often do where hear or see "BLONDIE in a BOTTLE" but in passing mention? Where as with JJ (Jones) his old pruney face is always on ESPN and etc.
    **Whoever is in charge of the Rams ought to FIRE the Ivy-league business school graduates and fast! For what ever bean-counter(s) they have and management that is running the show now haven't a clue about FOOTBALL ECONOMICS. The simple primary rule to football economics is that winning teams sell Tickets loosers don't. For those of us who didn't go to school to become economist, accountants, business management, this little fact about football is a BIG DUH! Something these brainacks in the front office haven't seem to grasp yet

rammiser is offline Registered User

As soon as the Rams forced Vermiels hand and promoted Martz to head coach is where it went wrong. Obviousley Vermiel wasnt tired of coaching because he coached the Chiefs for a few more years. Marts is great offensive co-ordinator but thats where it ends. Between martz and the front office they sytematically ran this team into the ground. The Patriots are doing what the Rams should be doing. We were the better team back then but not the better coached team. We also didnt know how to cheat like them either. I think if we had kept Vermiel and let Martz go to another team we WOULD have another ring.
    Just Fix It

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    As soon as the Rams forced Vermiels hand and promoted Martz to head coach is where it went wrong. Obviousley Vermiel wasnt tired of coaching because he coached the Chiefs for a few more years. Marts is great offensive co-ordinator but thats where it ends. Between martz and the front office they sytematically ran this team into the ground. The Patriots are doing what the Rams should be doing. We were the better team back then but not the better coached team. We also didnt know how to cheat like them either. I think if we had kept Vermiel and let Martz go to another team we WOULD have another ring.

Vermiel retired, the Ram's didn't "force his hand". He wanted to retire and he has said many times it was a mistake. Hiring Martz was the obvious choice, we had one of the greatest offensive seasons ever and you don't think Martz should have been hired? Like Martz or hate him, any FO in the NFL would have done the same thing in the same situation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast