Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Where did we go wrong?

When I watch the Colts and Patriots, I wonder where did the Rams go wrong. Belichick and Dungie are great coaches and these two organizations have been able to keep up the solid play and being in contention every year. We were right there with them and now have fallen behind everyone else. I think this is where a lot of frustration sets in. We had a winner and somewhere in upper management they dismantled some of the most exciting offensive displays I have ever seen to make us the laughing stock of the NFL, canít stop the run. WE HAD A WINNER, WHAT HAPPENED?

Right from under our eyes we have seen the biggest crime ever committed against sports fans, the shredding of the greatest show on turf.

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Where did we go wrong?

Well, Belichick for one has benefited from an awful division the last few years. They hardly had to try to get into the playoffs last season, and this season is shaping up much the same way. I don't think they've been fielding such great teams lately. The Colts have just done a better job of scouting out young talents on defense and getting their most important players locked away to long-term contracts. I think that is what has hurt us most--we put faith in young defenders and either they don't pan out or we let the good ones get away.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, Belichick for one has benefited from an awful division the last few years. They hardly had to try to get into the playoffs last season, and this season is shaping up much the same way. I don't think they've been fielding such great teams lately. The Colts have just done a better job of scouting out young talents on defense and getting their most important players locked away to long-term contracts. I think that is what has hurt us most--we put faith in young defenders and either they don't pan out or we let the good ones get away.
    But we're not exactly in a great division either. The whiners and the cards should be an automatic 4 wins for us, but their not. Last year we lost 3 out of 4 of those games. We've already lost to the whiners this year, and a Warner fumble away from losing to the cards. The Pats don't lose to teams they should beat.

I'm also not sure why you would say they haven't been fielding great teams lately. They have won 3 out of the last 5 Superbowls, advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs last season, and have a 6-2 record this year. I grant you they don't look that good sometimes, but have they ever? They've never been a win 42-3 type of team. They always beat you in the 4th quarter. Sometimes I get the feeling that we feel like unless we're up big late in the game, we're gonna lose.

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Unhappy Re: Where did we go wrong?

1. Hiring Mike "idiot savant" Martz as head coach
    2. Keeping Mike Martz as he dismantled the team and allowed team dissension to run amok.
    3. Cutting Kurt Warner.
    4. Sticking with Marc Bulger.
    5. Drafting and sticking with bums, getting rid of players with heart.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13 View Post
    2. Keeping Mike Martz as he dismantled the team and allowed team dissension to run amok.
    3. Cutting Kurt Warner.

Sticking with Marc Bulger is a mistake??? You want Warner??? Marc Bulger is 3rd in the league in passer rating, 1st in least INTS, and 2nd by 12 yards in passing yards. Kurt Warner can't keep a job. Yea, I'd go with Warner....

I guess we should have Trung Candidate in the backfield too.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Guy's having a career year and has steadily performed for us, yet still... :x
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Big game, you are entitled to any opinion you want, that is your right on this board, and we have the right to bash you into outerspace if we want for what has to be the single most misinformed and off base comment posted on this board in the last year. I think you should be nominated for a clannie on that statement alone.

Are you going to honestly tell me that warner is a better qb right now than bulger or that he has been for the last two years?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

general counsel is offline Registered User

one point on the colts. they havent won a superbowl yet. Before anyone gets too excited about their team management, lets see them win one. They have had a nice competitive run, but they havent really balanced their team all that well and i dont think that they are going to win this year either. They have a great offense, but i dont think that they stop the run that well and i think that will bite them in the playoffs.

The patriots are another story. In my view, their achievements in the cap era exceed any other dynasty in the history of sports because they have no ability to "buy" a title. They have done it without superstars with the exception of brady and obviously they are very well coached and rarely beat themselves.

Personnel assesment is HUGE and the pats have been amazing at it. Fans have a tendancy to want an all star at every position and what big bill has done is find the appropriate talent at the appropriate position balanced against the cap cost, while refusing to let the inmates run the asylum

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post

I'm also not sure why you would say they haven't been fielding great teams lately. They have won 3 out of the last 5 Superbowls, advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs last season, and have a 6-2 record this year. I grant you they don't look that good sometimes, but have they ever? They've never been a win 42-3 type of team. They always beat you in the 4th quarter. Sometimes I get the feeling that we feel like unless we're up big late in the game, we're gonna lose.
    I'm not a Patriots fan by any stretch of the imagination. I will say this, they are the best coached team in football. They have 2 maybe 3 Pro Bowl players.
    They probably would have more except that the Bill Belichick system is based on playing your gaps and understanding your assignment. The team is the sum of it's parts. The Patriot players realize Wins are more important than individual stats and they definitely buy into it. Also this team practices day in and day out situational football. That's why they are so clutch in the close games.

Maybe Haslett/Linehan need to go and watch some of the Patriots practices? In disguise of course. I would like to see how our Rams would do with Belichick at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Big game, you are entitled to any opinion you want, that is your right on this board, and we have the right to bash you into outerspace if we want for what has to be the single most misinformed and off base comment posted on this board in the last year. I think you should be nominated for a clannie on that statement alone.

Are you going to honestly tell me that warner is a better qb right now than bulger or that he has been for the last two years?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ummm, GC, I didn't make that statement about Bulger. I proved how stupid it was with facts in my reply. Rebel13 said it. I need the record corrected so nobody associates me with this statement. Again Rebel13 said it, not I. I've been a fan of Bulger since I first saw him beat the Raiders in week 6 of the '02 season.

Rambos is offline Registered User

one point on the colts. they havent won a superbowl yet.
    I agree, havent even lost one yet.

Where is ther balance run and pass?

And the D's front 7, will not get them to the show when it counts.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

3. Cutting Kurt Warner.
    You were doing so good with 1 and 2......
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I have done 37.5 hours of research on this and here is my analysis....The Patriots cheat and the Colts have been lucky.....next question?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel
    one point on the colts. they havent won a superbowl yet.
    That's true, and if they don't win one, these good regular season records aren't going to mean just a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN
    I'm also not sure why you would say they haven't been fielding great teams lately. They have won 3 out of the last 5 Superbowls, advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs last season, and have a 6-2 record this year.
    As recently as 2004 they had a great team, but last year I was not impressed. Sure, they beat Jacksonville in the playoffs, but you could practically see the rust creaking off of Leftwich's arm in that game after being inactive from injury for so long. And who did they beat in the regular season that year? The only teams with winning records they didn't lose to that year were the Steelers, early in the year when Pittsburgh was struggling, and Tampa Bay. And none the teams they've beaten this year are above .500.

But to get back to what has happened to our team, I could point to several specific issues:

1) Troubles at the Top - Losing Lovie hurt; hiring Marmie was like pooring arsenic in the wound. And Martz' fights with the FO certainly distracted from the team's focus.

2) Personnel Management - This can't be stressed enough.
    We let London Fletcher go thinking Jamie Duncan could replace him, but we never had a good replacement for him until now.

We let Bryce Fisher and Grant Wistrom go because we thought Tony Hargrove was the man. Now we've got problems with the pass rush.

We've had a series of failed experiments at safety from Eric Crouch to Jason Sehorn to Mike Furrey.

We've had a series of disappointments at DT from Lewis to Pickett (except maybe his last year and then we let him go) to Kennedy (who still has time to change that but wasn't even a starter until this year).

We also took too long to fix the offensive line problems. For several years, that right tackle spot was a nightmare.

3) The handling of the Warner/Bulger situation. In the end, I think we made the right choice even though I still admire Warner. Once we had established Bulger as the guy, the money we shelled out to keep Warner around could have been better utilized. This goes back to that whole cap/personnel management problem.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Sometimes I get the feeling that we feel like unless we're up big late in the game, we're gonna lose.
    That's because our defense is pretty sad and unreliable.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast