Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Where does the offense go from here?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Where does the offense go from here?

In the off-season the word coming out of Rams Park was 11 personnel spread offense. The reality is the Rams just could not produce a balance attack out of the spread. Last week Fisher said we would change our philosophy and run the ball. The Rams come out in 12 personnel in week five and established the running game by using two tight ends.

I was scratching my head last week thinking Fisher is clueless does he even know his offensive personnel? He has added all these weapons and now he wants to run the ball? When you think about it we do have two really good tight ends in Cook and Kendricks. I went to sleep on Kendricks once we added Cook. But Kendricks is a pretty good Joker tight end. He can block in line and play FB, along with slipping out to catch balls down field. Cook is not a blocking tight end but he can be a handful in the passing game. Bottom line is we do have the personnel to cause some mismatch problems using the 12 personnel.

Fisher has already said we will come out the same next week Stacy is the starter. Going forward I think this is the foundation of the game plan. Not the spread, empty sets we saw early on. With Drich hurting and Pead all but out. Stacy will be the starter and Drich will be the change of pace guy.

A lot can be done out of the 12 personnel. Hope Scotty can get the most out of Cook and Kindricks. Last week our tight ends where productive. Kindricks 4 catches 37 yards and a TD. Cook 3 catches 26 yards. Harkey one catch 17 yards. Thatís 80 yards and one TD. They also provided help with the pass protection and run blocking.

Both Cook and Kindricks through five games have two TDs. Kindricks did miss a lot of camp and Karkey was hurt at the end. Now all three are go to go, this could be the beginning of pretty good offense. Iím looking forward to a lot more seam passes like the one Cook caught in game one and Kindrick caught last year in Tampa.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Where does the offense go from here?

I agree Rambos I like our Tight Ends, however if they prove ineffective in blocking I am still for putting in extra linemen. Got to protect Sam and get the RB's room at all costs, even if it means less guys out in the pass patterns. I never want to see Sam and the backs blown up like they were in our losses!

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Hopefully back to the drawing board. We need to get more creative and diverse. Someone (I forget who) in the Rams organization mentioned how we could resemble the Saints offense but I think a more realistic approach would be the Ravens (of last year) considering Sam is more Flacco than Brees at this point. Now Pead just needs to become Ray Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Hopefully back to the drawing board. We need to get more creative and diverse. Someone (I forget who) in the Rams organization mentioned how we could resemble the Saints offense but I think a more realistic approach would be the Ravens (of last year) considering Sam is more Flacco than Brees at this point. Now Pead just needs to become Ray Rice.
    That was Kevin Demoff, he helped set the table for disappointment. Stacy could be your Ray Rice.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Hopefully they go to Houston.

Here is a big red flag . I had to go look for this quote. When I read this back when the Rams where in camp, I thought really. You really don't know what we are going to be yet. You had the whole off season and you are in camp and you don't know what the offense is going to look like.

"We're still trying to find what our identity is going to be," Schottenheimer said. "It's a work in progress."
    live4ramin, Truth and DE_Ramfan like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Right now, the best part of our offense is the Washington Redskins losing more games, so we can get a high draft pick that is elite Running Back or Wide Receiver

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Right now, the best part of our offense is the Washington Redskins losing more games, so we can get a high draft pick that is elite Running Back or Wide Receiver
    running back...maybe....

wide receiver..mmm....no, i think a veteran is more important at this point

rather have a stud lineman...possibly 2 in the first if possible
    live4ramin, MauiRam, Truth and 1 others like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is a big red flag . I had to go look for this quote. When I read this back when the Rams where in camp, I thought really. You really don't know what we are going to be yet. You had the whole off season and you are in camp and you don't know what the offense is going to look like.

"We're still trying to find what our identity is going to be," Schottenheimer said. "It's a work in progress."
    I don't know the context for that quote was but it is scary as hell.

Go Rams!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Honestly, I thought the Rams where adding to their run game a pass option and go more play-action pass when they picked up TA and J Cook. Despite the pick-ups on offense, the Rams still lost of personal to the Dolphins, Patriots, and Falcons key components of 2012 team, so I couldn't imagine going to the spread offense. Would explain the disappointing Preseason--we all thought it was "vanilla" but in truth it was just inept offense from the get go--now why Fisher and Company didn't address this problem scares me.

Perhaps the brain trust thought it too late and hoped for the best with no plans for the worst. Personally I don't think Schotty is up to the task of cobbling together a working offense. In evidence is the struggle against arguably the worst team in the NFL (Jags) and total defeat against the Cowgirls/49whinners. How the Rams could conclude they could run the Spread Offense is beyond me--a soft O-line with which of the RB being a solid blocker/ball catching safety valve for Bradford where the Rams going to use for the Spread Offense?

This is a repeat of Spag/J. McD rush to a spread offense with most of the important tools being absent all over again. Am now seriously wondering if Fisher needs to be shown the door

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

What baffles me is that in almost every game, the first drive, or the first couple drives, the play calling is pathetic. Each time I think, how is that possible when you have all week to study the other team and come up with a few scripted plays to start the game, and then it looks like the same first 3 or 4 plays....a run, and a sideways throw to Tavon for no gain, and third and 8. You've had ALL PRESEASON and ALL WEEK to come up with a few plays to get the game started.

Are we really so bad that instead of actually studying the other team to identify their weakness on defense and attack it, we are seriously only trying to run our own plays regardless of who our opponent is? Like it's still preseason.

we kept hearing we were going to use our TE's like the Patriots have done for the last few years....What would be the problem with stealing some of the plays they have been using with so much success? They have had 2 good tight ends and a batch of average WR's, including little scrappy guys that we have a bunch of, yet their formations and scheme get it done. (granted, their O'line is solid).

The Penalties... Aye, the penalties. At what point is our coach just the worst coach in the NFL? I wasn't a big fan of Fisher when we first hired him because I'm more about the offense and knew he was more the no-nonsense, defense first, boring offense type coach. Well, we're definitely boring on offense, but what I never expected was being undisciplined. At the very least, I thought we'd be disciplined and if we're not getting that from this guy, than what are we doing?
    bruce4life and richtree like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

One of the problems as I see it is that Jeff Fisher has assembled a team that is not reflective of his coaching style. For years, he ran a system predicated on pounding the football (Eddie George) with a QB McNair) who was both a decent passer yet could bull his way for extra yards if necessary. We currently have none of these elements. That is not to say Bradford is no good nor is it to suggest some of our personnel can't be successful. What IT MIGHT suggest is that Fisher is out of his comfort zone. Compounding that is an offensive coordinator who seems unimaginitive and thus far hasn't really molded these guys- Cook, Austin, etc- together. Also hamstringing us is an ineffective running game.

I don't know what the immediate answer is, but currently the Rams look like a disjointed collection of parts rather than a cohesive unit.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -10-09-2013 at 09:49 AM.

NJ disjointed is the perfect word to describe the offense. The only time the offense is cohesive is when they are in a hurry up which seems to be a something the Rams feel is a bad thing.

I looked at the snap counts in week five and you can see a shift in playing time with the change to more of a 12 personnel. Lets start with Tavon, he had half of his snaps or playing time cut. He still was targeted 6 times and is usually targeted about 7 times. Quick played one more snaps then Tavon last week. Tavon had 23 snaps Quick 24. Tavon had been getting about 40 snaps which is about 60% of the game. Last week he played about 30% of the game.

Cook also took a hit with playing time and that is because he can't block to save his life. Of the three TEs cooked played the least and Kendricks played the most 64 snaps. Harkey took a lot of Cooks reps I'm sure to block in the running game. Cook played 38 snaps compared to his 61 in week one.

Lets see if the Rams stay with the 12 personnel and the TEs being on the field more going forward.

Bailey has yet to take a snap on offense. He is becoming a really good teams guy as he waits for some playing time.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    NJ disjointed is the perfect word to describe the offense. The only time the offense is cohesive is when they are in a hurry up which seems to be a something the Rams feel is a bad thing.

I looked at the snap counts in week five and you can see a shift in playing time with the change to more of a 12 personnel. Lets start with Tavon, he had half of his snaps or playing time cut. He still was targeted 6 times and is usually targeted about 7 times. Quick played one more snaps then Tavon last week. Tavon had 23 snaps Quick 24. Tavon had been getting about 40 snaps which is about 60% of the game. Last week he played about 30% of the game.

Cook also took a hit with playing time and that is because he can't block to save his life. Of the three TEs cooked played the least and Kendricks played the most 64 snaps. Harkey took a lot of Cooks reps I'm sure to block in the running game. Cook played 38 snaps compared to his 61 in week one.

Lets see if the Rams stay with the 12 personnel and the TEs being on the field more going forward.

Bailey has yet to take a snap on offense. He is becoming a really good teams guy as he waits for some playing time.
    This is why Cook should be lining up as a flanker more. Flank Cook and Quick and Givens and Pettis on the inside of 4 WR sets (ALOT).....

Austin and rotated with Quick and Stacy jumping from the backfield to the slot(s).

We have the perfect template for this. **See the Saints with Colston, Graham, and Sproles (and lance moore when healthy)....

we can simply steal there game plan....Our offensive attack is so mechanical and predictable reads.
    citr92 likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    running back...maybe....

wide receiver..mmm....no, i think a veteran is more important at this point

rather have a stud lineman...possibly 2 in the first if possible
    we can get a stud oline man in rd 1 and rd2. We really need #1WR and have for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast