RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Where the Rams responsible for the Patriots dynasty the tale of two coaches

By the end of the 1999 regular season, the Rams were playoff-bound, and Martz had become a hot head-coaching prospect.

Before the Rams' playoff opener with Minnesota, the New England Patriots called to formally express interest in Martz for their vacant head-coaching job. Sensing they had something special, the Rams reached a highly unusual agreement: On Jan. 15, 2000, the eve of the NFC divisional playoff against the Minnesota Vikings, they agreed to make Martz their head-coach-in-waiting.

Whenever Vermeil retired, Martz would take over as head coach. (With Martz off the market, the Patriots later settled on Bill Belichick.)
    I found this interesting:
    Martz took over a Superbowl team and two years later got beat in the Superbowl by the team Belichick coached and assembled. This started the Patriots dynasty.

A few interesting things to ponder:

1. What might have happened if Martz went to the Patriots? How do you think they would have done? Better/Worse/Same

2. Do you think Vermeil would have retired if the FO let Martz go to the Patriots when they seeked to talk to him? Yes/No Instead of telling Martz he was the coach in waiting and offering him more money.

3. What might have happened if Belichick came to the Rams as HC and Martz went to the Patriots? Would we have won another superbowl maybe 2001? Yes/No

4. Would we have won any more Superbowls with a new coach or OC (2001?) if Martz left for Patriots? Yes/No (Patriots would not have had Belichik who molded\coached the 2001 team that beat us).

There really is no way to tell however I was just wondering what some peoples gut feeling was on some of these interesting scenarios.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Where the Rams responsible for the Patriots dynasty the tale of two coaches

1. Worse: I think the Patriots are a well balanced team that was molded perfectly by Belichick for his style.

2. No: I don't think Vermeil would have retired if the FO had not named Martz the HC in waiting.

3. Yes: I think Martz did a great job molding this offense however I think Belichik would have helped our weakness defense while not messing up the powerhouse offense that Martz helped establish. I think with Belichik we could have won another Superbowl especially since we would not play against his holding/cheating defense.

4. No: I would have said maybe if it was not a yes or no question however I don't have faith the FO would have picked the right guy for the job. IF they would have picked the right guy then I would have said yes. I think several coaches could have won a superbowl with that 2001 team. We had a very talented team we just come up against Belichick and his cheating/holding team. With Martz going to the Patriots that would not have been the case. I think the offensive scheme that would have been left behind by Martz and the players we had would have enabled several coaches a good chance to win in 2001 with that team and no cheating Belichick defense.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-10-2008 at 02:17 AM.

moloch41 Guest

I oftene wondered if lovie smith didn't go into a prevent at the end of the game and allow the Patriots to march downfield and kick the winning FG, if maybe fortunes would have been different. Had Tom Brady been pressured into throwing a pick or not being easily allowed to put his team into a position to win that game- maybe he doesn't gain the confidence that he has and maybe the Pats are just a footnote in football history. Sadly, we'll never know the answer to that question because our D coordinator did just the opposite after our offense came from way back to tie it up.
    Last edited by moloch41; -01-10-2008 at 12:59 AM.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

The Pats cheated to win that game.. i have watched it millions of times the refs were all in on it.. ok.. i am ok now..... i think what was ment to happen happend.

theodus69 Guest

hate to beat a dead horse, phat is right. Not only that,We would have went on to win more bowls had the fo not put the pressure on DV to retire! Plenty of mistakes made along the way didn't help either.London Fletcher was a wrong move and was the Warner deal. Martz was to confident and eventually it caugt up with him. who's to say bellichik was gonna come here anyway, he wasn't that great of coach before so why would they want him anyway? the tuck rule changed them to a dynasty. They have a great team right now,but in order to get the breaks , they gotta be given to you and oh boy did this group get some breaks! this has been a terrible season for me , but If the Pats lose in the playoffs..................... that would make my season not so hard to swallow! And to top it off, the team that beats them gets a call like they got against the Raiders and to listen to them cry afterward. Hell I would make thet a ring tone til next season!!!!!!!

MSgt Baker Guest

You can count on Rams management to due the wrong thing. Martz was a great OC but didn't work out as the head coach, though it seemed like a good decision at the time. The big problem & difference is team management & ownership. This is what is killing us.

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

Must we continue to rub this in?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Life View Post
    Must we continue to rub this in?
    I feel ya....I'm not ripping open that old scar again.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Scientology is a legitimate religion
    Ron Paul can win the Presidency
    Mike Martz was a bad head coach

If repeated over and over and over, even the most ignorant of statements will be believed by some.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-10-2008, 12:01 AM