Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Where TO would fit best/end up! St. Louis?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/davedelgrande/ci_3201007

Del Rio could shape up T.O.

I'M TIRED OF being told Terrell Owens will have few if any teams interested in his services next season.

Are you kidding?

In these days of indistinguishable parity in the NFL, there's a greater incentive than ever to add a difference-making player to your roster. Yes, even one that reminds everyone your quarterback is no Brett Favre.

Halfway through the season, I count 18 teams that still fancy themselves as title contenders. At least half of them are flat-out dreaming but even they would greatly improve their chances if they could add Owens without surrendering a key player.

Who would take a chance on the league's equivalent of Ron Artest? I'm guessing probably about the same number as NBA teams that would snatch up the Indiana troublemaker if given an opportunity and that's a lot.

Here are the four places I believe he would fit best:

-Seattle. Yes, Mike Holmgren is that desperate, especially when the addition instantly would make his team the NFC favorite.

-Jacksonville. Did you see the collection Jack Del Rio molded into a championship basketball team at Hayward High?

-St. Louis. No coach is more about winning than Mike Martz.

-Green Bay. Favre already is one of his biggest fans and vice versa. And isn't that what Owens needs: a little more love?

DATELINE: Way downfield. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone were as willing to speak their mind as Owens?

Take Cody Pickett, for example.

He played just well enough to allow the ***** to compete with the Giants for almost the entire first half Sunday, then threw a game-turning interception. But was it really his fault?

He shouldered the blame afterward, but you know this is what he really wanted to say:

"We're one minute from going into halftime down by just three points, third-and-33, and they want me to drop back and throw a 34-yard strike to a guy with 5-flat speed? For heaven's sake, do what any other coach would have done run a draw play, punt and make the Giants sweat a little at halftime."

Mike McCarthy should be happy Owens wasn't there to give him an on-the-field earful. It was a major-league screw-up.

Meanwhile, Dick Vermeil walked away a hero of sorts

Advertisement

in Kansas City after boldly going for a game-winning touchdown on the final play against the rival Raiders.

He spoke subsequently of his confidence in his offensive line, but I truly believe he wanted to say something else:

"You know me. I haven't taken a risk my entire life. I wanted to kick. But then what toss a coin and see who wins? Heads. Oops, it's tails. We lose. That's how NFL overtime works. It's an embarrassment. Whenever I have a chance to avoid it, I'm going to do it, even if it costs us the game."

Had the Raiders stopped Larry Johnson, Vermeil would have deserved a flying helmet to his hollow head. Or as it's called in Oakland: a Jerry Rice.

DATELINE: The road to perfection. It's time for Bob Griese, Larry Csonka and the rest of the 1972 Dolphins to start worrying. The 2005 Colts are in high gear in their quest to match the NFL's 33-year-old record for fewest losses in a season.

Zero.

The Colts' 40-21 destruction of the Patriots on Monday night was downright scary. Remember, this was an Indy club that had scored all of three points in its previous trip to New England just 10 months earlier.

Even with one of the best offenses in the history of the game and now one of the league's top defenses, it's hard to imagine the Colts going 16-0. It just doesn't happen in the NFL anymore.

But who's going to stop them: the Bengals (in Cincinnati) in Week 11? The Steelers (in Indy) the following week? The Chargers (in the dome) in Week 15?

Uh, I don't think so.

Now, if the Seahawks had Owens for their Week 16 meeting in Seattle ...

Do you think the Colts are going to complete an unbeaten regular season? E-mail your thoughts (with full name and hometown) to dave@angnewspapers.com.

RamsFan16

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Where TO would fit best/end up! St. Louis?

There is a higher liklihood that lance rentzel will play for the rams next year than TO.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

I just cannot stand TO and there is no way that I want him anywhere near a Ram uniform!!!! there is no way the Rams would entertain him...

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I don't see TO showing up on our doorstep at all. What team has that kind of money to throw away anyway?

Did you guys catch Cody Pickett playing QB for the whiners? Not bad at all for a punter.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

This has to be one of the most ignorant piecs of sports writing I have ever seen.

One, Mike Martz is not in a position to make major trades while he is sidelined.

Two, in the area of the salaray cap, two established all-pro calibre WR's is about all anybody can handle.

Three, we are impatient with certain attitudes. Heck, we found Kevin Carter's and Brenda Warner to be too disruptive to keep around.

Will T.O. play somewhere? It depends. Some pretty talented guys would rather sit and tell stories. Lawrence Philips, That Saints-Dolphins running back caught with one doobie too many, Eric Crouch. In the era of the salary cap, no team can pay extra $$$ without losing talent elsewhere. The Giants have been paying dearly for Mr. Strahan's services. Front offices don't need costly headaches.

If Terrell wants to have a shot at the big money and save face, he should accept no-signing bonus one-year contracts. Somehow, I don't see him doing that. He is starting to make randy Moss seem like a comparitively standup guy.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't sign T.O. at minimum wage.

cashless is offline Registered User

I agree that those are the places with the most need, however I disagree with your assessment of the Seahawks. I would love to see that much REAL talant(not Koren) on the Seahawks offense, I would not want to see TO anywhere near this team. But it will not happen. Holgren is an ex-high school teacher who always wants things done the right way. But even more than him, Ruskell has been dropping the problem players and gathering good people because that is what he thinks a team needs to be successful. And it is hard to argue the result if you look at this season and the draft. Seattle won't even look in TO's direction, I guarantee it.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater
    This has to be one of the most ignorant pieces of sports writing I have ever seen.
    Haha, well, you haven't been reading enough from the SF Bay Area then (where this writer is from). It's ALL just as ignorant as this blather... I like your 3 reasons but there's also the huge reason that he could never play in the Rams' offense because he lacks the skills to fit the offense. He is wholly a product of the Wuss Coast -- I mean, West Coast offense. He's got hands of brick and as far as speed goes, Kevin Curtis could run circles around the guy. Sure, he's got a steroid body (no doubt from his SF days minutes away from Balco labs) and he's awesome if your offense is designed around throwing dink passes and hoping your opponent can't tackle well, but that's not how the Rams use WRs.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Hey 16. Nice way to stir up a hornets nest.That article you found set a few back in their chairs.LOL
    But I'd take T.O. for min. wage and make him sit on the bench just to torture the puke,and laugh at his media snafus.

He could write T.O. was here on the bench with his sharpie,and sleep with ewe pompoms and dream of what he could of became.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

rammiser is offline Registered User

I dont think this article is a big of piece of crap as some of you might think. I listened to sports radio all day today and I heard two diferent reports that the Rams are interested. One of the guys was either Chris Mortenson or John Clayton I cant remember which. Both these guys were saying the Rams are interested and will be players in the T.O. sweepstakes. If you guys think for a minute T.O. wont get picked up your crazy. Talent in this league gives you nine lives.

I cant stand T.O. off the field but on the field he's one of the best. I think there are a few places that T.O fits in and I have reasons for them. Money of course is important to T.O and believe me teams will scramble to make room. The Rams,Seattle, and the Colts are the only 3 teams I think he could be happy with. The reason is because all three of these teams can throw the ball and will throw it a lot if needed. One of T.O.'s major problems is his ego and the only way to feed is ego is to feed him pigskin and keep winning. These three teams will always throw the ball to him and with the weopons they already possess will more than likely lead to a lot of wins. T.O. is a distraction, and can be, and has been a cancer, and he wont change but with these three antidotes touches,wins and money he is a lot less likely to be distracting. Dont worry T.O. cant be traded this year he can only be released since the trade deadline is passed, so Martz can't make a trade from the sideline.

I'm not saying I want T.O. but man would it be interesting barring problems with Holt,T.O.,Bruce and Curtis. Who the hell would you cover then?
    Just Fix It

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I can see the story line unfolding now. Martz takes over in Oakland in 2006. Owens signs with the Raiders.

Yikes.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

TO is talented and could be a great asset to a team, if he could be kept in a black hole for most of the time and only allowed out of the black hole when he is going to be on the field. Any interactions with other players and coaches will disrupt any team that he plays on. He truly is a cancer to any team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramstough39 is offline Registered User

I agree, I wouldn't be able to stand to have Owens on the Rams. It would be a true torture to the team, the organization, and the fans ourselves. Sure he is a great Wide Receiver and all, but you all know the other story, back in the lockerroom, the guy is rediculous and can't keep his mouth shut. Forget signing TO to the Rams..that would be just horrible..

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    I dont think this article is a big of piece of crap as some of you might think. I listened to sports radio all day today and I heard two diferent reports that the Rams are interested. One of the guys was either Chris Mortenson or John Clayton I cant remember which. Both these guys were saying the Rams are interested and will be players in the T.O. sweepstakes. If you guys think for a minute T.O. wont get picked up your crazy. Talent in this league gives you nine lives.
    What you are hearing is classic ESPN trying to perpetuate a *story*. They have to invent places for Owens to go, and they thus decide in their little brains "Owens is a great receiver, ergo he should go to a passing team. Hey, the Rams pass a lot!" So they report the Rams are interested based on their wishful thinking of pairing the "elite" Owens with the "elite" Rams passing game.

The *reality* is that Owens will come nowhere near the Rams unless they decide to change their offense. Little media brains aside, Owens is NOT a "great receiver". He is a great receiver *in the west coast offense*. Last I checked, Owens catches over 70% of balls under 10 yards away from the line of scrimmage, while Ike and Holt are around or under 50%. The ability to get open downfield versus trying to turn a short pass into a long run are completely different talent sets.

The media does not understand how football works and how "talent" is directly related to how a team utilizes a player, don't make the same mistake. Owens could never succeed in the Rams offense, just like Ike wouldn't perform as well in a west coast offense because of his lack of size.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Martz and TO wound up somewhere together next year. With Martz air it out offense and TO’s talent.

Not getting into the Martz thing but if Martz left and had a new offense with TO as an offensive weapon that he could call plays for that would be interesting.

I think I should call ESPN I think TO and Martz wanting to unite elsewhere makes a better story.

Sorry Zig I saw a similar remark in your post after I posted this and yes it would be scary seeing TO in a Martz led offense.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-12-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast