Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Where's the Beef?

We all know that we haven't been able to get any kind of a pass rush from our front four or stop the run on a consistent basis. Who is the weak link? Is it one player or more than one?

Is Glover pulling his weight? Is the right end the problem? Kennedy is showing signs of life, but is it enough? Is Little sleeping on the job lately or is he being double teamed all of the time?

Do we have to wait until next year to look for the answer regarding the defensive line?

SFCRamFan Guest

Re: Where's the Beef?

I'm afraid that we play with what we have; until next year. However, maybe Haslett can find a technique or blocking scheme that frees one of our guys up to put pressure on the QB. We had it in the first half, but they adjusted. Do one of our resident experts, and I mean that seriously, have a clue about what they were doing in the second half and what we could have done to get through??

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

This to me is our main area of concern on the team so far. A moderate improvement in this area would pay great dividends in terms of our overall defensive play.

As for the reasons why, many and varied I would suggest, but it's interesting to note that the front four aren't attracting the same level of opprobrium that some members of the secondary are. I'm not saying that they should you understand, I'm just trying to illustrate that the unit as a whole has deficiencies that seding the sink on every down isn't going to cure.

They'll contribute to some more great wins this season but we must all understand that we are witnessing a work in progress here.

bigredman Guest

While I agree that our defensive line play needs improvement not only in rushing the QB, but defending the run as well. I'm happy with Glover, no so much with Kennedy, and Little seems to be absent more often than making his presence known.

RealRam is offline Registered User

We had it in the first half, but they [Seahawks] adjusted. -- SFCRF
    True, so true. I'd like to hear Coach Linehan report on that and perhaps see what Jim Haslett feels. But as Fat Pang just mentioned, "we are witnessing a work in progress here."

Here's hoping that we will have made definite progress for Chargers game! :r

OK...I have been one of Travis Fischer's biggest critics over the last few years. In my opinion he is serviceable at best. I think we could also say that our whole secondary has been suspect for quite some time.

A few here have discounted the play of Fischer and our secondary in the name of poor pressure from our front four. I have listened to their arguments and have come to the conclusion that they probably have a legitimate point.

But, I have yet to hear anyone specifically address the individual linemen that may be the most likely part of the problem. I would welcome your thoughts on who you believe is the root cause of the lack of pressure. Again, who is the weak link? What is the position or positions we need to upgrade? :\
    Inquiring minds would like to know! Where are we with the front four!

Go Rams!!!:l
    Last edited by viper; -10-19-2006 at 10:01 PM.

BET81BILL Guest

Front four is solid, I think we tend to get a little happy with the blitzing schemes, thus leaving backs out in coverage alone. If blitz is picked up it dosent matter college QBs would pick us apart.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BET81BILL View Post
    Front four is solid, I think we tend to get a little happy with the blitzing schemes, thus leaving backs out in coverage alone. If blitz is picked up it dosent matter college QBs would pick us apart.
    They aren't that solid if they can't generate some consistent pressure on the QB without the help of blitzing schemes.

When the front four don't get pressure by themselves sometimes, and QBs have a lot of time to throw, the DBs can't run with receivers and keep great coverage when they are stuck out there and the QB has all day to throw and pick them apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Unfortunately, the front four, not to mention the front seven have been having difficulty getting any pressure at times. If we could have gotten consistent pressure on Hasselback on the last drive they never should have gotten into field goal position to win the game. And it wasn't only the Seattle game, but it has been that way most of the season. Our blitzes, including LB's and CB's have been effective only occassionly. At other times they were quite ineffective and allowed the opposition to march down the field.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Unfortunately, the front four, not to mention the front seven have been having difficulty getting any pressure at times. If we could have gotten consistent pressure on Hasselback on the last drive they never should have gotten into field goal position to win the game. And it wasn't only the Seattle game, but it has been that way most of the season. Our blitzes, including LB's and CB's have been effective only occassionly. At other times they were quite ineffective and allowed the opposition to march down the field.
    The way it looks to me from the games I've seen, we miss Fahkir Brown as a blitzing CB. Not to mention him just being in the game period.
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

I think many of us have come to the conclusion that we miss Fahkir Brown as not only a blitzer, but at CB as well. But, even when he was starting, we still were getting inconsistent pressure from the front four. If we hope to improve that pressure, where should we start?

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I think many of us have come to the conclusion that we miss Fahkir Brown as not only a blitzer, but at CB as well. But, even when he was starting, we still were getting inconsistent pressure from the front four. If we hope to improve that pressure, where should we start?
    Honestly as it stands right now what can we do? Glover is playing ok but not spectacular he's had his moments, Kennedy is more of a run stopper. Little has done a nice job at times, and then we had the Hargrove mess, and Victor is a rookie.

They have to turn it up a notch or two, (can they, I don't know) other than that I don't know what else we could do. We can't do much from a personnel stand point now, we are what we are.

GC seems to think we could lure Jack Youngblood out of retirement since he has apparently kept himself in such great shape. That could be a significant upgrade, but I'll leave that to GC to negotiate.

Until then I agree we don't seem to have many options for upgrading the front four personnel at this time. We traded Hargrove, which seems odd if we don't have someone to replace him with. The trading deadline is upon us if not already past. Wroten may help, but he's a rookie and needs playing time to develop. It may come down to adjusting the scheme this year for the players that are in place and as RB says getting them to "turn to it up a notch."

So if this is THE big problem with our defense. So if not this year, what positions or positions do we try to upgrade thru the draft and FA in the front four next year to get them into being the type of pressure cooker unit that this defense needs? :\
    Last edited by viper; -10-18-2006 at 01:40 AM.

BET81BILL Guest

On Sunday I seen a defense that had a great scheme in the first half, but made no attempt to alter, confuse or disguise it's inttentions. Seattle made changes at the half in picking up our blitzes. Biggest need is a bonified run stopper at our DT spots.

RealRam is offline Registered User

It may come down to adjusting the scheme this year for the players that are in place and as RB says getting them to "turn to it up a notch." -- Viper
    You have a series of excellent but tough questions, Viper! And I think that for now, what I just quoted you on is probably the best and/or only solution to the struggles and inconsistencies of the Rams DL.

No doubt that an improvement in this department would benefit the secondary, also having its share of shortcomings -- there it seems as though Travis Fisher may be "serviceable at best" as you said, an issue that I'm sure is being analyzed by Coach Haslett. I agree that getting Fahkir Brown will be of much needed help.

But as to the performance of our DL, I for one would have to wait to see what kind of Ramtastic strategies J. Haslett will be able to concoct, beginning soon I hope!

As soon as we visit San Diego. :r
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-18-2006 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast