throwback week

itsguud is offline Registered User

Where's the Blitz?

I don't understand how the Rams almost completely abandoned the blitz today. Even as the 4-man rush wasn't working we still continued to onl4 send the front 4. I was pumped for spags coming in here and boosting our D and dudring the first half of the first game against the seahawks it seemed to be working. Since that time. All I continue to see is 4 man rushes. We have fast corners and LB's so when are we going to start sending them. At least try something different.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Where's the Blitz?

I'm pretty sure the Rams blitzed on a couple of occasions today. Didn't watch the game, but I listened to Savard and Farr and heard the Rams bring pressure through the blitz.

King Laurinaitis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Rams blitzed on a couple of occasions today. Didn't watch the game, but I listened to Savard and Farr and heard the Rams bring pressure through the blitz.
    I got to catch the last 3 quarters after work, and they very rarely did blitz, and when they did, it was very apparent via the stacked line. Most of them were straight forward gap (aka run stuffing) blitzes. I don't think I saw any stunting/crossing blitzes. I could have missed one or two, but that's about it.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by King Laurinaitis View Post
    I got to catch the last 3 quarters after work, and they very rarely did blitz, and when they did, it was very apparent via the stacked line. Most of them were straight forward gap (aka run stuffing) blitzes. I don't think I saw any stunting/crossing blitzes. I could have missed one or two, but that's about it.
    Exactly. The D was running so simply a college or high school team could have picked it apart. Rogers was always able to tell exactly where he would be safe and never had to move around even in the pocket to avoid any rushers. Even running outside a couple of times for big gaines and a TD.

If we need a pass rush as everyone is saying, I suggest we begin supplying it ala extra rushers.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Spag's left his blitzing back in his office in New York...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I disagree. Rodgers did have to move around a bit. In fact, he took off 8 times, none of which appeared to be designed bootlegs or scrambles. He was also sacked twice, and they almost got to him another time on a play that was clearly a blitz. It seems to me that much like the first two games, we got pressure but not containment.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I disagree. Rodgers did have to move around a bit. In fact, he took off 8 times, none of which appeared to be designed bootlegs or scrambles. He was also sacked twice, and they almost got to him another time on a play that was clearly a blitz. It seems to me that much like the first two games, we got pressure but not containment.
    It was basically either good pressure and no containment or good containment and no pressure at all. That's going to fail against a guy like Rodgers who can move well and also who can throw deep with good accuracy and has people to throw to.

Pretty sure his TD run was a designed QB run and not a pass play too. They came out with 4-wide and spread the Rams D to either sidelines and left a huge hole in the middle of the field.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

First off Spags isn't calling the plays Flajole is. I was skeptical when I heard a guy from the most conservative Defense in the league Carolina was going to run Spags blitz heavy at least 5 men coming at all times scheme. We need to get more aggressive in our play calls defensively and definately offensively.

I would call for Spags to call the defensive plays, but he doesn't have the luxury of a veteran offensive guy to be in complete control of the offense like Rex Ryan does with Brian Schoteheimer with the Jets. That said if Spags decided to take over play calling I would be all for it, I think he could handle the extra responsibility.

longfan Guest

i have to believe its time to start taking a few more chances... on both sides of the ball...

we seem to be a bit snakebit this year to start out, but if we hold on we may still surprise ourselves and others...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What the heck has happened to Chris Long and his ability to get to the QB like he did in college? Where the heck is it?

longfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    What the heck has happened to Chris Long and his ability to get to the QB like he did in college? Where the heck is it?

there was a thread a few days ago about this and it struck me to be mostly about the fact that most guys come around in year 3 as far as the sacks go.. quoted stats from mario williams and a few others i dont recall...

he is ahead of/close to williams pace thusfar iirc in sacks and ahead in tackles...

so it may not be all it appears to be..

txramsfan is offline Registered User

That's fine and all, but this team needs something from him. He does get the benefit of inexperience and he isn't on my list but it's just a wish anyway.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Where? Its at DT. That's where Chris Long is playing on 3rd downs.

longfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Where? Its at DT. That's where Chris Long is playing on 3rd downs.

well that could be a big dose right there...

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longfan View Post
    there was a thread a few days ago about this and it struck me to be mostly about the fact that most guys come around in year 3 as far as the sacks go.. quoted stats from mario williams and a few others i dont recall...

he is ahead of/close to williams pace thusfar iirc in sacks and ahead in tackles...

so it may not be all it appears to be..

again-- I do believe Chris is playing out of position by playing the opposite end he played in college. It isnt easy trying to force yourself to go from a right handed stance to left handed and vice versa. Chris should be playing on Leonard Little's side.