Thread: Where's Bulger?

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Where's Bulger?

Where's Bulger?
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/27/2007

As they reported for training camp Thursday, one by one Rams players expressed optimism and/or hope that quarterback Marc Bulger's contract situation would be resolved quickly.

"I expect to see Marc today, but if not, I trust that he'll handle it the way he's got to handle it," center Andy McCollum said Thursday morning.

But as morning gave way to afternoon, Bulger was nowhere to be found. He was a no-show for a mandatory meeting at Rams Park.

"He was not here for the meeting," coach Scott Linehan confirmed late in the afternoon.

As afternoon gave way to evening, Bulger remained absent. But his agent, Tom Condon, was in town, and negotiations on a contract extension for the Pro Bowl quarterback continued late into the evening.

The same was true for

first-round draft pick Adam

Carriker in what was a hectic evening for the Rams' front office. Carriker also was a no-show Thursday, and negotiations also continued late into the night with his agent, Van McElroy, on a contract for the rookie defensive lineman from Nebraska.

All along, the Rams have quietly maintained a sense of confidence that something would get done in short order with Carriker. But the absence of the soft-spoken Bulger, a team leader and someone who rarely rocks the boat, was surprising to many at Rams Park.

And unlike Carriker, the Rams can fine Bulger $14,000 for each day of training camp he misses. On Thursday, at least, Linehan didn't want to broach the topic of fines.

"Let's get to (today) before there's any overreaction of any kind," Linehan said in reference to a potential Bulger holdout. "It's just like anything else, it's human nature to want to have things perfect. But that's not reality or life sometimes. But I actually do feel very confident about where we'll be by (this) morning."

Late Thursday evening, talks apparently recessed without a deal. The Rams have offered to make Bulger the highest-paid player in franchise history, both in terms of overall contract value and guaranteed money. But earlier in the week, the sides remained substantially apart. Condon did not return phone messages from the Post-Dispatch on Thursday.

Linehan spoke with Bulger on Thursday morning. Linehan later indicated that in a sense, Bulger's absence was an excused one.

"It's complicated," Linehan said. "(Bulger) said he had a lot of things he had to do. He handled it the right way. Certainly, I'd be a lot more comfortable if it had been resolved before the (team) meeting."

Linehan remained optimistic that Bulger would have a contract extension and be on the field today for the start of training camp practices.

"I'd be surprised if he wasn't," Linehan said. "Because I think it'll be resolved."

Bulger has one year remaining on a four-year, $19.1 million contract. But the Rams and Bulger's agent have been working on an extension for much of the offseason. In a radio interview earlier this month, Bulger wouldn't rule out the possibility of a holdout. Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' president of football operations-general manager, told the Post-Dispatch earlier this week that a contract extension for Bulger was the team's No. 1 priority.

Left tackle Orlando Pace, who has missed his share of training camp in the past because of contract impasses, knows better than most that negotiations can be difficult, intense and frustrating.

"Hopefully they can get Marc's contract wrapped up," Pace said. "I know it's a tough process. I know it's one of those things that is probably going to take a little time. Hopefully he's here, and hopefully he'll be behind center."

The team begins training camp with morning and evening practices today.

"I know Marc will be ready regardless of what happens," McCollum said. "He's been around for a long time and he knows what he's doing."

Bulger is coming off a career year, in which he established career highs for completions (370), yards passing (4,301) and touchdown passes (24), while throwing only eight interceptions.

"Bulger's a huge key to our offense," running back Steven Jackson said. "Without him, I don't know how we're going to run the offense."

"He means a lot to this football team," wide receiver Torry Holt said. "He's reserved all the time, but he's vocal when he wants to be and when he needs to be. I'm just looking forward to getting back out there with him this year, getting our chemistry back, and being prolific once again."

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Where's Bulger?

WOW....I did not expect Bulger to be a no show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    WOW....I did not expect Bulger to be a no show.
    Linehan did say it was an excused absence. Tongue in cheek?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Coach Linehan covering up any distractions....good for him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

Well, I'll just be damned!! Somebody please help me understand why the starting QB on a rebuilding team that is just about to get its legs set doesn't show up for camp? Men and women, stationed in foreign countries away from their families, are dying every day for citizens of this country to live the American dream. And yes, Marc Bulger is acting the part of a spoiled-rotten brat that isn't getting enough millions in his contract. Last I looked, he hasn't won anything.

Just when I think our team is on the comeback. We don't need this mess; we don't need this stress. Marc should pull his head out of his backside and get that team together.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LDJOHN55 View Post
    Well, I'll just be damned!! Somebody please help me understand why the starting QB on a rebuilding team that is just about to get its legs set doesn't show up for camp? Men and women, stationed in foreign countries away from their families, are dying every day for citizens of this country to live the American dream. And yes, Marc Bulger is acting the part of a spoiled-rotten brat that isn't getting enough millions in his contract. Last I looked, he hasn't won anything.

Just when I think our team is on the comeback. We don't need this mess; we don't need this stress. Marc should pull his head out of his backside and get that team together.
    I hear where you're coming from "BUT". I believe Marc has to take into consideration the Players Union. If you know what I mean?

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

I've just read that Bulger is definitely going to be on the practice field today and that the the contract extension talks are coming along nicely

Carpy is offline Registered User

Chris Draft was just on Sirius and said that Bulger is at camp today.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LDJOHN55 View Post

Wow, talk about overreacting and a bad comparison. First, Linehan said Bulger was excused yesterday. Now even though Bulger has signed, I'm still curious as to how you think Bulger would be "acting as a spoiled brat" if he held out? That's ridiculous, and using the troops is a bad comparison. The troops chose to be troops and they knew what they possibly were getting into when they chose that path. Bulger chose a different path, one which pays extremely well if you are great at it. Bulger earned his money these last few years and if you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. Don't you try to get the most money you can from a company.....of course you do. The same goes for Bulger, the differences are the pay is extremely high, and the rules to get more money in the NFL are different.

It's so easy to spend other people's money. :x
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!