LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Wheres the Truth??

You know I watch sports center and sports related programming most of the time Im in my home. Im addicted I cant get enough I have even become a NASCAR fan this year something I never thought would happen.I seem to notice it dont matter where the forum takes place ESPN/FoxSports/Nfl network that there is always a general concensus on related topics.It seems all these guys get together and decide alright this is the story for this team lets run with it. Take our Rams for example. The story is "Will Jackson Get The BAll?" Thats all I seem to hear. I hear about the new coaching staff too but it always seems to be in relation to Jackson.

We are fans this is our team and we follow it everyday as much as possible. Im sure everyone here would say the number one story is will the defence step it up? I know its the media and they bonehead stuff all the time but cmon this is such an easy thing to evaluate. Tony lets go to the stats please (Tony being my made up statitician that tries to bail me out of my nonsensical writing) Last year this team finished 9th in total offence, Had only 2 games where they scored under 20 points, #4 in passing, #2 receiving, #11 in scoring and yes a dismal 22 in rushing.These are pretty impressive offensive numbers considering the O-line was patchwork all year. Lets not forget we lost Bulger, Bruce and Holt during the regular season. Oh yeah and our offensive coordinator/head coach was essentially fired after getting sick. Not an easy thing to deal with as players.

I could see that we were unbalanced. Steven really did not always get the chance to shine. Usually though when I was watching us lose I was not saying DAMNIT GIVE THE BALL TO STEVEN. Usually it was more like "wow this defence disgust me." Tony roll the stat sheet again please. Lets see the total Defence Rams ranked 30th, Against the pass we were 23rd, the run 28th, not to good. We were dead last on average run against us 4.7......4.7!!!!!!! damn thats alot of yards to give up per rush. Stats dont lie I love them. They show you exactly what needs to get better. While I agree rushing is an area of concern it no where near as big of a concern as the defence is.

So while Jackson is a story and an issue I care about none of it matters if this defence is not better. USA today had an article yesterday, the first big Rams article actually, even had a picture. Guess what?? It was about Jackson. In this age where anybody could look up a stat in seconds online there is no excuse for this. USA Today,ESPN,FOX Sports, and countless others you want a story? Put a big picture of Haslett in your papers. He is the single most important person on this team right now in my opinion. If he could turn this defence around like he has done his whole career this team will be playoff bound. It all falls on the defences shoulders.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -08-09-2006 at 07:28 PM.

LET'S GO DODGERS

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Wheres the Truth??

I agree. If Haslett turns the defense around this year, that will be the difference that makes or breaks this team. A more balanced attack can be effective, but it won't win games when the D can't stop a team from scoring.

At least the Rams are getting some attention from the media now. A little bone for us Rams fans.

LA ....you trying get in on the article writing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I understand what your saying LFLT; but you should know by now that unless you are the defending champs, or from the NFC or AFC East, your not going to get much positive coverage.
    As much as I despise ESPN, I find myself watching "NFL Dead" even though I know they will not mention the RAMS unless something news worthy happened that day. They will continue to talk about over paid jackasses and their favorite teams. The only way the RAMS will get respect is to win it all. I do not even think going 12-4 or better will suffice.

Keep the faith!
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The Jackson story is easy. He had over 1,000 yards last year even when he was hardly used in some games, so it's not a stretch to say that if he had more carries, he could have a big year.

It's not as easy to predict how a defense with this many new starters is going to perform. For example, last year the Chiefs revamped their defense. They had brought in a former head coach, Gunther Cunningham, in 2004 who was supposed to bring a more aggressive approach. They drafted Derrick Johnson, and they signed Kendrell Bell, one of the better linebackers in a thin free agent group. They also signed Patrick Surtain at corner and brought in a veteran safety in Darren Sharper. The new defense jumps from 31st to 25th in total defense.

The Vikings signed corner Fred Smoot (to pair with their signing from the year before, Antoine Winfield), safety Darren Sharper, and defensive tackle Pat Williams. They traded for linebackers Napoleon Harris and Sam Cowart, and they drafted Erasmus James at end. All that gets them from 28th to 21st ranked defense.

Now here we are hoping we can turn the defense into a top 10, maybe top 15 unit. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but those examples would suggest a finish closer to 23 or 24 for the defense could be more likely. So recollections of predictions last year based on defensive improvements might be coming into play. On the upside, those teams went 10-6 and 9-7 respectively.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    IThe only way the RAMS will get respect is to win it all. I do not even think going 12-4 or better will suffice.
    Even when winning respect can be elusive. There are always the (but who have they played", the other team was coming off an emotional win", or "the other teams best player(s) was out due to injury"

Anything short of the SuperBowl seems to be a failure anymore. Even just making the playoffs is not good enough it seems now.

GO RAMS!!

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Darren Sharper must be great to play for two teams at once. And teams don't play to get to the playoffs, they play to win the Superbowl. You can talk about defense until you're blue in the face, if it keeps an audience you have my vote for President. Offense keeps attention. Who do you want to see play, a running back going over 2k or some linebacker or giant linemen running into other linemen while the back runs for 2ks around them?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Sorry, I meant Sammy Knight for the Chiefs. Must have crossed the wrong wires.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I'll forgive you this time, but the next time...you get the chair.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Who do you want to see play, a running back going over 2k or some linebacker or giant linemen running into other linemen while the back runs for 2ks around them?
    I would much rather watch a hard hit over the middle or a complete colapse of the other teams quarterback. I love watching great runs as much as the next guy but nothing beats a smash mouth hit. I would definatly not want to watch a RB run around our defence I have seen enough of that. If we won every game 3 to zip this year I would be elated hell give me 2-0 it all works for me.
    LET'S GO DODGERS