Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Whiners Nuke Rams 35-16; The Good, The Bad and The (mostly) Ugly

In their never ending quest to reach a new low, the Rams crapped the bed again today against a (now) 3-7 Whiners squad. At least the Rams are improving in terms of first half margain. After trailing 40-0 last week against the Jets, the Rams managed to kick a field goal and hold the whiners to 35 first half points, trailing by 35-3 at the break. All this despite holding a signficant first half edge in time of possession and punting only once before the intermission! Only the Rams could find a way to trail 21-3 with a 14 to 6 minute edge in time of possession. No question this thread should be called the Ugly, the Uglier and the Ugliest.

Take your pick. Lousy QB play, multiple turnovers (3 in the first half), fumbled snaps, horrible red zone play, terrible tackling, no pass rush, the pathetic list of incompetence is never ending. The Rams won the battle of garbage time 13-0 in what was an incredibly sloppy and painful second half. Completely meaningless of course as the stats were amassed with the niners playing in a very soft prevent defense.

The Good.

Nice to see a Rams-Whiners game in which Bryant Young doesnt have 3 sacks.
    The offensive line played better early today. We had success running the ball early before the turnovers and the defense killed us.
    Nice play by OJ knocking the ball out of Gore's hands and causing the fumble.
    2 sacks in garbage time for jason craft.
    Nice to see Looker score a td.
    Avery is going to be a star.

The Bad

Brown missed a 48 yard field goal early, taking away an shot we had at just a little bit of momentum after a long drive.
    Bulger was terrible. Ignore the stats. He fumbled a snap and tried to force two balls into obvious double coverage in the first half, leading to turnovers.
    We moved the ball but were awful in the red zone.
    Our tackling is just pathetic and useless.
    Why is looker returning punts and minor kickoffs. Lets see what stanley can do. There is no point in having looker playing ahead of burton unless burton got hurt which i didnt see.
    Why no onside kick at the end. Sure the game was over, but why take three timouts at the end if you arent going to on side kick?
    The injuries were bad today. Pace (sprained knee), Bartell (knee), Cogs (shoulder) all left the game and did not return. Spoon, Pisa and Avery also got hurt but came back in to play.
    We have allowed at least 87 "big plays" to lead the nfl (runs over 10 yards and passed over 20). This is a big reason why our defense stinks.
    In addition to not being able to tackle a pregnant woman in a phone booth, we had no pass rush at all in the first half. We also couldnt stop the run. Other than that, we looked pretty good defensively.

The ugly

It just kills me to see Isaac Bruce in a whiners uniform.
    The entire game was just ugly in the extreme. The second half was so sloppy on both sides it was painful to watch, including the three consecutive false starts by the whiners at their own goal line.
    Interest "F--- You" caught on camera by Halsett, leading to the 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Summary

The Bears are next as the Rams death march towards the draft continues. There is simply no pulse on this team. I can't see how Haslett will be back unless things change dramatically very quickly. Sure, missing Steven Jackson is a killer for us, and losing Pace hurts a lot as well, but we just arent showing up at all defensively and the performances are embarrasing in the extreme. Where is the bottom for this team? Who knows. This wasnt a playoff team the Rams were playing today, it was a pathetic 2-7 team coming in that had lost 6 in a row and we got blown out of the stadium.

At some point, there is nothing left to say other than "Lets talk Draft." I can not see how we can do anything in round 1 other than take the best available offensive tackle. I just dont see any other choice.

Taken as a whole, today's performance truly qualifies as a travesty of a sham of a mockery of a debacle.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -11-16-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Re: Whiners Nuke Rams 35-16; The Good, The Bad and The (mostly) Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Nice to see a Rams-Whiners game in which Bryant Young doesnt have 3 sacks.
    The offensive line played better early today. We had success running the ball early before the turnovers and the defense killed us.
    haha I was thinking about BY and how he always seemed to save his best games for the Rams. I wouldn't read too much into your OL's improved play. It's just that our pass rush is freakin' terrible.

Avery is going to be a star.
    I would agree with that. IMO he's already the best WR on your team.

I have two questions

1) What on Earth is wrong with Marc Bulger? I know he gets hit a lot, but I've been scratching my head at some of the throws he made today and during this season in general.

2) What's with the injuries? It seems the Rams (especially along the OL) do no to have the ability to stay healthy. Is it the practice field? Is it the training staff? I've never quite seen anything like it.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

GC, good job with very little to work with,this team is just awful,and I also agree that is was very very painful to see Isaac in that other uniform today.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    haha I was thinking about BY and how he always seemed to save his best games for the Rams. I wouldn't read too much into your OL's improved play. It's just that our pass rush is freakin' terrible.

I would agree with that. IMO he's already the best WR on your team.

I have two questions

1) What on Earth is wrong with Marc Bulger? I know he gets hit a lot, but I've been scratching my head at some of the throws he made today and during this season in general.

2) What's with the injuries? It seems the Rams (especially along the OL) do no to have the ability to stay healthy. Is it the practice field? Is it the training staff? I've never quite seen anything like it.

I am also puzzled by Bulger. He throws some good passes at times, but others, it's mind-boggling. Like the passes to double coverage which were intercepted. There's no excuse for those.

None of our o-line are ever healthy. I smell either a bad training staff, or that the o-line is not conditioned enough, or some other reason.

It's time for us to start looking toward this off-season. Trade some of our 2010 picks or something, trade our players, whatever it takes to get draft picks for 2009. This is a must. I can sense that with enough draft picks, and with enough significant signings in the off-season, we can turn this team around. This team is embarassing.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Death March to the Draft! I love it!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Death March to the Draft! I love it!
    You beat me to it Moonman!

And GC, "The Ugly, The Uglier and The Ugliest" is fine and apropo right now. Sadly enough.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't know what Bulger was thinking with the double coverage. Definate head scratcher. He's got some good throwing, but some bad throwing. We need to eliminate the bad throwing.

Our injuries are going to bite big time. We lost our best corner and our two best linemen.

This season has been over for us. We just got beat by the "easiest" opponent on our schedule.

Embarassing day for us.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Call me an apologist, but i think that bulger is so desparate to make plays, that he is just trying to jam the ball into impossible spots. A lot of these throws are coming when we are already behind by two tds or more. Bulger wont say it of course, but he knows that our defense stinks and he knows that if we get further behind, the game is over. Thus, he is trying to force the ball down the field, especially to avery. When it works, it falls into the category of "he threw it up and gave his receiver a chance to make a play." When it doesnt work, it just looks like what it is- a bad decision. He may also be looking to catch a break here and there with an INT call.

Its interesting that most of the time, he is trying to force it into avery, especially deep down the field. I think he recognizes that avery is the only game breaking threat that we have, and this is consistent with my theory that bulger is really trying to find a way to make big plays and "catch up fast." To some extent, its like a baseball player that is swinging for the fences when he team is down by 7 runs and what his team really needs is baserunners.

I do think that the run blocking was solid early. We had almost 70 yards rushing in the first qb and that is excellent work by the line, far far better play than in the past few weeks, especially without jackson. Then of course, the defense collapsed and we got too far behind to do anything much except throw. Losing pace and cogs sure doesnt help as the droppoff from pace and cogs to goldberg and romberg is of epic magnitude.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I think it's time to activate Greco and Schuening. If Greco's knee is is healed, then I would love to see him start.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think you have to mention Pittman in the Good, he ran well today in Jackson's absence, and will be a great backup RB

i dont understand our play calling though. we were down 35-5 at the half and yet were still punting and kicking FGs in the second half? we should have gone for it on 4th downs much earlier, we didnt really start hurrying until midway through the 4th quarter when it was too late

itsguud is offline Registered User

I do think that the run blocking was solid early. We had almost 70 yards rushing in the first qb and that is excellent work by the line, far far better play than in the past few weeks, especially without jackson. Then of course, the defense collapsed and we got too far behind to do anything much except throw. Losing pace and cogs sure doesnt help as the droppoff from pace and cogs to goldberg and romberg is of epic magnitude.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree with everything you've said. I would just like to add that its difficult to play on a defense that has no help from its offense. Whats the freakin problem with our Red zone O. Why the hell is it so difficult for us to get it in the endzone. It has been this bad for so long that I just don't understand why they haven't changed it yet. It would definitely help our D out if we could put points on the board for once.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I agree with everything you've said. I would just like to add that its difficult to play on a defense that has no help from its offense. Whats the freakin problem with our Red zone O. Why the hell is it so difficult for us to get it in the endzone. It has been this bad for so long that I just don't understand why they haven't changed it yet. It would definitely help our D out if we could put points on the board for once.
    I think one of the problems is that we don't have any "big" targets to throw it to. With the absence of a capable TE, the other team's corners can cover our receivers all day long. Plus, everytime we get near the red zone, our o-line chokes up and creates zero holes for the running back. Another problem I think is the playcalling. I haven't been impressed with Saunders so far this season.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post

He sucks. It said my message was too short.

eldfan is offline Registered User

The Bears are next as the Rams death march towards the draft continues. There is simply no pulse on this team. I can't see how Haslett will be back unless things change dramatically very quickly.
    I don't know the answers but it is deeper than Haslett. This team did not respond to Linehan who was more laid back. Now they are not responding to Haslett who is fiery. The front office put this mess together they must go. The roster must be clean up and find some players with a hart beat.
    :ramlogo:

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

"Call me an apologist" LOL, apologist, but I agree with you GC. Oh well, it is on to the draft once again. This is so disgusting....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast