Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Who do we blame now?

The Coaching Staff?

The Players?

Both?

Today was an absolutely pathetic performance. Really I am at a loss as to what the problem is. Seems we are just a .500 team this year. Up one week and down the next. Going in to the season I thought the talent was there to go deep into the playoffs. Something is definately amiss with our Rams and I just can't put my finger on it.

I know there are plenty of Rams fans who staunchy support Mike Martz and i applaud them for their loyalty. However, he and his coaching staff do not seem to have a handle on motivating this team or preparing them for the opponents from week to week.

The special teams was horrible today and at some point in time this has to reflect on the coaching. I think everyone is somewhat concerned with the defense and I am starting to wonder if Marmie was the best choice to head up that side of the ball.

Usually I am the first person to place the blame on the players and for the most part I still do. However, if things continue this way through the rest of the season, I think it is time to finally wake up and see Martz for who he really is. An average head coach who looks best when he is surrounded by self-motivated talent.

:ramlogo:

lakerams Guest

Re: Who do we blame now?

well said Ferter.

Ram Diaspora is offline Registered User

As a Martz supporter, I think you have to blame him. Today's loss was a result of coaching. Martz is in his 5th season as a head coach in the NFL and has never had quality special teams play from his teams. Take away those three plays and the Rams probably win this game today. That is not to say there were other problems. What in the world was that running play to Faulk down on the 1? Have you ever seen such a slow developing play called inside the 5 yard line? The offensive line played almost as bad as they had against the Pats. Why weren't they motivated? My support for Mad Mike has started to wane.
    Conventional wis-dom,
    Usually is-dumb.
    -Ogden Nash, American poet and humorist

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

I say we blame the FortyWhiners. I mean Why not?

Seriously though it all has to be looked at. Someone need's to be responsible
    for motivating the team. Injuries may play a part on the rest of the team but
    special teams are just rotten period. Put the damn starters in on Special teams if that is what it takes.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

concidering we lost, was it 3 starters very early on to injury, all who played on special teams. I am surpriced to see non of the fans have mentioned this but take the easy option of lashing out ..............

elAcky Guest

its easy to see why our special teams are so poor.. we overpay some players so there is not enough talent to go around... don't really blame Martz or the players i.e. this goes higher than just the obvious! we have to restructure the salary packages of some of our so called stars or ship them out (no matter who they are).. I wonder if its a financial guru or just a footballer managing the salary cap for us !!

At least Holt increased his trade bait this w/e

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I can't lay the blame on any one player or coach. It seems as though the whole team was a half step out of reality during the game. Even though we were up 10-0 in the first quarter, it was a rough 10 points....those points didn't come with the confidence of the first two strikes from last week's game.
    The whole offensive line was out of step. The Defense was out of step. ST was out of step.
    Everone here knows I try to be optimistic. Well, even with the way the game went yesterday, I can say this much....
    At least we beat the seachickens....TWICE!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's how I see the blame going?

Offense: Guys, we just ran into an outstanding D on their field. A great D will beat a great O, especially on their field. Like I said last week, the Bills D brought something to the table that we hadn't seen this year and that was pressure from the inside of the line. Bulger had gotten used to stepping up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush. He even looked comfortable incorporating the collapsing pocket into the offense. But to see the pocket come straight back at him, created a whole new wrinkle that we weren't prepared for in the passing game or running game.

Defense: Our problems on D are multi-faceted, but can best be summed up by one observation: Rich Coady is a starter. When obvious back-ups are called upon to start, there is a serious lack of talent to deal with. Couple that with Marmie's historical track record, and it's hard to expect much more.

Special Teams: I'm speechless.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

We are making TE's All-Pros this year. Why? Our safeties stink in pass coverage. All of them, Arch included.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice post Ferter. Your comment that Martz may be "an average head coach who looks best when he is surrounded by self-motivated talent" is right on. I think one of the biggest problems this year has been the uninspired play of those on the field. You can't be successful in the NFL without attitude, desire and emotion, things which are not a consistant part of this team and things that are the responsibility of the coaching staff. In this area, we are seriously lacking.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well it has gotten to the point of being ridiculous. It is all playing out before our own eyes. The special teams is sickening. We have all seen it - week in and week out - year in and year out. It is a constant problem area. Who is responsible for this? Can we simply continue to blame the current ST coach? Fire and hire a ST coach on a yearly basis?

And what about this Marmie? Martz' buddy and long time friend. Cmon now, Martz hired him and it is quite obvious it was a huge mistake. He has come in and changed the scheme and the players have simply not adapted. He doesn't motivate. Where is the swarm and the fire from this defense that Lovie instilled on a yearly basis? There is no team leader on defense. Marmie has not been able to connect with one defensive player and motivate him into a leadership role. He simply does not light a fire under these guys. I dunno, seems from what I have learned in life, a leader needs to figure out what makes guys tick and push their buttons. Light a damn fire under their asses and get them going. Does Marmie do this? Hell it sure doesn't look like it to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

Simple questions with one answer....
    Who hired Marmie?
    Who hired the latest scapegoat to coach the scrubs on ST?

Actually I find it hard to believe anyone, other than a coach close to retirement, would want to coach ST for Mike Martz. Martz simply won't devote any of the better talent to the units.

Should I even bring up the O-line? Not one decent lineman waiting in the wings? Well I dunno, maybe it is just me, but I really feel that Martz needs to be held accountable at some point in time.

:ramlogo:

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Martz continues to keep making bad decisions and IMPO he hasnt done anything with this team since his takeover!..........I honestlt believe that the Rams without a Headcoache would have prevailed as much as with MM as their coach.................Here's another thing that bothers me. Why not approach MB when he is off of his game (yesterday) and go to him like a man and tell him that he is inserting CC into the game to see if he would be able to spark the team! .........And if MB or any other qb cry's about it then to me they are either immatureor not a team player! ..............Dont give me this ......he's a competitor, heck everyone in this game are competitors so for me that is not a good excuse or reason to keep a failing player from being benched! He's no different than any one else on the team! Play bad,come out Perform well and keep playing! What if MF,LL,AA,IB,TH,OP(which i personnally think is playing terrible this year) doesn't MM give these other players some time on the bench? You betcha! MM will not pull MB because of all the termoil that he has produced since the KW saga! MM has to be right on this poor dcision he has made! It was never the QB's fault as much as it is the coaches and the poor play of the O-line the last few years! MB will not succeed until something is done with the o-lines play and play calling,etc..........................sorry but,it will never work until some major over-haulin' is done! starting at the top!!!!!!!!...........Mad Mike you need to either get some quality help or demote yourself plain and simple! Ask your self this 1 question? Wasit easier for you to see the game in the booth or to be on the field? Answer truthfully to yourself and you will see just what i have been saying for some time! Remember the truth will set you free!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

There is a lot of blame to be spread around after this game, but the inability to stop the Bills on special teams handed this game away. It was horrible to watch.

Lots of points with hardly any effort. yucko.

The O line struggled and was getting pushed back as if they were on one of those sleds that they use in practice. I thought Bulger did a pretty good job of moving around and getting the ball off in the first half. I saw too many long balls and would have liked to see more short dumpoffs and running plays to ease up on the pressure that the line was taking.

The defensive secondary is struggling and they are playing very thin due to injuries. Coady and Arch are having trouble defending against the passing plays. Not sure what the answer is there.

I had the tape the game and I am watching it in pieces since it is easier to handle that way. It is a very fast paced game. Lots of throwing by both teams. Take away the special teams touchdowns and it would have been a close game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

There is a lot of blame to be spread around after this game but the inability to stop the Bills on special teams handed this game away. It was horrible to watch. --UtterBlitz
    Excelent thread, Ferter (it lacks foolish bashing and reflects objective comments).

I'm still hurting over this loss to Buffalo! It's one thing I will not be thankful for this Thanskgiving. :upset:

I agree with most of the posts here. Pathetic Special Teams. Poor defense coverage on TEs -- Coady, Archuleta, etc. We need to get our act together people! Bulger saw a couple of his passes that were simply off, and they were key plays too.

OL is to blame as well. Me too, blame me! I am an optimistic, positive supporter of the Rams HC.

Game Vs. Packers is so important! We're playing catch-up ball again.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The turnovers by Bulger in the red zone were back breakers. It is hard to see them in their within the 5 yard line twice and turn the ball over. 2 field goals would have been some points, but instead we get zero points.

A lot of the blame has to go on the offensive line. They got pushed around all game and got penalized while they were at it.

I am starting to wonder if we are playing well in our own division but only because our division is not all that good this season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast