throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Goldenfleece

Thread: Who do you think is on the trading block for the Rams? Why?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Question Who do you think is on the trading block for the Rams? Why?

The reason I'm asking this question is Amendola has the most trade value at a position of abundance. I would really hate for the Rams to trade Amendola because what he did for the Rams last year. The problem is the Rams have drafted WR's (Gilyard & Salas) early the past two drafts to play slot receiver. The best slot receiver on the Rams is D. Avery but playing the #1 WR role.
    Do you think the browns new head coach Pat Shurmer would want his new QB Colt McCoy a WR that knows his system. (a WR needy team)

If the Rams sign Mark Clayton does Avery become expendable.
    The best slot receiver on the Rams is D. Avery. Avery is in the last year of his contract. So Avery could be on the trading block also.

Would QB A.J. Feely be on the trading block. He is a west coast offence type QB new to a McDaneils style of offence. Maybe Browns might want Feely to back up McCoy to help tutor him in the WCO.

What Say Ye? Who do you feel is on the trading block to leave St. Lou?

SLSG Guest

Re: Who do you think is on the trading block for the Rams? Why?

Avery coming off surgery doesn't have much trade value. You don't want to sell low. I would say Amendola would have the most value. Salas could be a stud in the slot, but I don't want to depend on a rookie, especially with Sam being so young and a new offense being implemented. Avery, Amendola and Salas does feel like an overkill in the slot. Avery will have to remain wide. Hopefully they resign Clayton, DX stays healthy and Pettis developes. The potential is there to have a strong WR corps. It's a nice blend of speed, size, quickness and possession WR's.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't see the Rams looking to move Amendola. He was the only proven commodity at WR who showed consistency and the ability to stay healthy, not to mention he was also the one guy who could be counted on in the return game. I would argue that with the propensity for injuries, inconsistent play and inexperience, WR is not a position of abundance in the sense of having the luxury to play with the roster just yet.

Who knows what will happen, but I'd be shocked if Amendola was traded.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    The reason I'm asking this question is Amendola has the most trade value at a position of abundance. I would really hate for the Rams to trade Amendola because what he did for the Rams last year. The problem is the Rams have drafted WR's (Gilyard & Salas) early the past two drafts to play slot receiver. The best slot receiver on the Rams is D. Avery but playing the #1 WR role.
    Do you think the browns new head coach Pat Shurmer would want his new QB Colt McCoy a WR that knows his system. (a WR needy team)

If the Rams sign Mark Clayton does Avery become expendable.
    The best slot receiver on the Rams is D. Avery. Avery is in the last year of his contract. So Avery could be on the trading block also.

Would QB A.J. Feely be on the trading block. He is a west coast offence type QB new to a McDaneils style of offence. Maybe Browns might want Feely to back up McCoy to help tutor him in the WCO.

What Say Ye? Who do you feel is on the trading block to leave St. Lou?
    As banged up as our wide receiver corps seems to get every year, "overkill" only exists in the preseason. No way will Danny Amendola be traded this year, especially when we are installing yet another new offense. Why would we trade the guy Sam has so much confidence in? Danny is smart, (think new playbook), fearless, and runs very crisp routes - and he catches the ball more consistently than our other wideouts with the possible exception of Mark Clayton. What would another team have to offer to fully compensate for Danny's current value to the Rams? Amendola is also a standout special teams performer, and especially right now is a very valuable player for us given that we have a new OC for 2011. I am sure Josh McD. is already scheming ways to utilize Danny's abilities and look forward to the results ..

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

I think Amendola. He has value. There is depth, yeah "not proven", and youth and size coming in. Yes he was the most productive of the WRs last year. But that is like saying Seattle was the best team in the NFC West last year. Were they really that good? OR was it just because someone had to be?

Thru the third preseason game, if there is a preseason, we'll have a clear look at the three new recievers in the organization.

I like Danny. Anyone who doesn't isn't a Ram fan IMO. But there are bunch of kids with potential in camp and there is a new OC. And Danny is small. He's a piece of iron sure. I think if WRs and TEs hold onto the ball, he is expendable and SB will be just fine.
    Semper Fi!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I think at least for this year, Amendola is the LAST offensive player(ok, behind Sam and Saffold) that would be on the trading block. The dude is Wes Welker without the name recognition. Simply put, I'm sure that even with the receivers that we drafted, McDaniels sees Amendola as the guy who perfectly fits in as the Rams' Welker, and everyone else will play the other roles. The trick is finding the Randy Moss role, but I think a mix of Clayton/DX/Avery can do that just fine while the TE's and Pettis/Salas fill in the other roles.

And yes, we will be keeping 6 WR's on the roster this year... we'll need it with all the 4 WR sets.
    I believe!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson could have garnered considerable trade value, this being the twilight of his career. Belicheck in New England has long been looking for a RB type, Like Jackson who could accent the Patriots offense instead of JAX carrying the Heavy load, year after year, by himself, in St. Louis.
    Sometimes One must pull out his best card from the bottom of the Deck! Another year with Jackson in the Rams backfield....Expect more of the 'SAME OL' from the St Louis O fense!!!
    Last edited by dgr828; -05-22-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Not Amendola - The Rams have no real incentive to part with our most reliable receiver unless we get a very generous offer. That's kind of the problem. Aside from the Browns, most teams don't need him as badly as we do, which makes a deal somewhat unlikely.

Steven Jackson - It's hard to have a discussion of trade value without bringing him up. Do we have anyone to replace him? No. But if we found a decent free agent to fill the hole for one year, we could use picks from the trade to fill the need for the long-term. The offer would have to be right, but one could see a deal similar to Indy shopping Marshall Faulk and then drafting Edgerrin James.

Honestly, there are not a lot of obvious trade opportunities on this team. Sure, we might cut ties with James Butler, but no one would want his contract. Sure, Saffold and Smith have value, but we don't have the depth to part with them. Basically, our team is currently composed of a small number of critical players (Bradford, Saffold, Laurinaitis, Long, etc.) and a bunch of interchangeable parts (almost all of our linebackers, safeties, receivers). In the last decade, I don't think we have seen even one high profile Rams player traded away. Most of the time, we either retain their services or let them walk, which is unfortunate because one would think that we might have gotten something for guys like Atogwe, Pickett, Wistrom, and so on.
    Shan the Ram Man likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't see the Rams making any sigificant trades involving their players.