ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Who gets cut tomorrow?

The first wave of cuts are due in tomorrow. Which players do you think are out of a job?

According to my calculations there are 80 players on the roster (including Butler) so there needs to be 14 cuts. Here's my guess:

Jeremy Carter, Michael Coleman, Dominique Thompson, Duvol Thompson, Brandon Middleton, Toby Cecil, Matt Morgan, Dusty McGrorty, Aveion Cason, Clifford Dukes, Louis Ayeni, Drew Wahlroos, Darnell Alford, Brian Barker.
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -08-30-2005 at 02:05 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Who gets cut tomorrow?

The following is from 1st&Goal's thread, First cuts?, about a week ago.

Yes, it does seem like (1) QB Smoker is on the tight rope.

And I agree about (2) CB Aveion Cason. I would also think that (3) OL Cecil Toby, (4) WR Michael Coleman, (5) TE Erik Jensen, (6) OL Matt Morgan, (7) WR Dominic Robinson, (8) WR Dominique Thompson, (9) C Larry Turner and (10) LB Drew Wahlroos will be on the list.

Thanks for you help, friends.

Sincerely,

RealRam for The St. Louis Rams.

To which 'Sanchez' readily observed that Dominic Robinson had already been cut (Aug. 10). And so I'll add CB Kevin Garrett to the above list.

PS: I hope tonight's injury to Fair is not serious.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm agreeing with RR. Garrett did nothing to redeem himself last night. I think he's gone today.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

kevin garrett will not make the team. whether he gets cut now is a function of fair's status. if fair is ok, garrett is gone. Real Ram, we can agree to disagree, but i dont believe that larry turner will get cut. he is potentially the center of the future and our only real backup at that position.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I Agree With Gc On Turner,i Think He Makes The Team,but As For The Rest Of The List It Looks Good And I Dont Think We Miss Any Of Those Guys.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think Cason survives another week, given that Terry Fair (who was competing for the KR spot) got hurt and Arlen Harris came down hard on his shoulder.

I think Jeff Smoker is a goner.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

You want cuts? I'll give you cuts. Cut Barker from punting duties, Harris from KR duties, McDonald from PR duties, and the short-stubs-at-CB when faced with bigger, taller, stronger ( and did I fail to mention faster?) WRs in man-to-man coverage situations.

If M&M doesn't address these weaknesses with established players, you might as well tap into the hootch that will make you go blind now, because you're going to be poked in the eye with a blunt stick much sooner then you think. (yes, I realize that some of these players were forced into the game because of injury - but I don't care if Arlen has lost weight, he is only going to get past the 25 if the opponents thought the whistle blew the ball dead).

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams diminutive DBs looked just fine against three big, fast, young WRs.

Why? Because of the pass rush. That's the whole point. There's no such thing as a shut down CB. WRs get shut down when the QB doesn't have time to find an open receiver.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The Rams diminutive DBs looked just fine against three big, fast, young WRs.
    I beg to differ. But before I do, I agree that the pass rush will make a world of difference. If the Rams can sustain a formidable pass rush the DB's job will be that much easier. But the operative word is sustain. And the verdict is still out relative to the line play and blitz packages.

Without that pressure, what I recall were DBs that were playing too far off the man (maybe due to zone coverage), and too slow to break on the ball when it was thrown. Couple that with the fact that it seemed, more often than not, when they had tight coverage they had no instinct for where the ball was and weren't breaking up the pass unless they went through the man.

Yes the rush made a difference, but the fact that those 3 Detroit WRs showed only glimpses of their potential is more a function of Joey's ineptitude rather than the DBs cover abilities.

I am willing to revisit this issue however after the AZ game when Warner has a chance to strut his stuff with his 3 big, fast, young, WRs. If KW's on his back all game, I guess you might say that the DBs did their job. But if KW's release is back to where it was, I'm going to be afraid to see what Boldin, et al, do to that secondary. That stick could be very blunt.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Did we cut anyone yet? I haven't heard anything
    RamsFan16