Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Who in the heck is going to be our right tackle today at Mile High?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Who in the heck is going to be our right tackle today at Mile High?

By Jim Thomas

DENVER _ Joe Barksdale, who was expected to start at right tackle tonight in the Ramsí third preseason game, did not make the trip because of what a club official termed a slight infection. And that puts the teamís right tackle situation in flux against the Denver Broncos and could lead to less playing time for quarterback Sam Bradford.

Saffold, the normal starter at right tackle, wants to get some work in after suffering a dislocated shoulder in the preseason opener in Cleveland, but didnít do a lot in his return this week to practice. Even if he tests the shoulder, he may not play much.

Chris Williams, projected to be the Ramsí fourth tackle behind Jake Long, Saffold, and Barksdale this season, was scheduled to start at left guard tonight in his ongoing competition with Shelley Smith. Further down the depth chart, Ty Nsekhe is another option, and guard Brandon Washington and rookie center/guard Barrett Jones have also gotten practice reps at tackle over the past week or two. Undrafted rookie Graham Pocic is out with a shoulder injury.

With the uncertainty at the position, the Rams may not want to risk playing Bradford the entire first half, or into the third quarter, as was planned.

According to USA Today, the infection is from a cut in one of Barksdaleís hands; he received antibiotics after a visit to the doctor Friday morning. It is not believed to be an MRSA (staph) infection like the ones that struck some members of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers recently.

1) Saffold might get to play, but my hunch is they sit him and not risk further setbacks.

2) Chris Williams is supposedly the 4th tackle, but he's in a battle for the guard spot.

3) Graham Pocic is out (probably not much of a factor anyway.)

4) Ty Nsdkhe is listed as a tackle, but could he really protect Sam?

5) Barrett Jones supposedly got in some reps, but even though he's supposedly a sound technician, he still looks like the Pillsbury Dough boy. He probably needs an offseason to get stronger.

6) What about Harvey Dahl? Any chance we use him at RT, and let Chris Williams and Shelley Smith man the guard spots?

7) Maybe they could slide Williams to RT, and put Brandon Washington in at one of the guard spots along with Shelly Smith. I was hoping we'd be forcing opposing teams to pick their poison - looks like the shoe is on the other foot tonight ..

8) I know there are folks here who are down an Barksdale, but like him or not, I sure wish we had him for tonight's game. His absence may signal abbreviated playing time for Sam, which would be a bummer as this was the game that I thought would afford Sam the opportunity to utilize a lot of his new toys extensively.

9) Good Lord, please let the guys we do have left stay healthy tonight.

Thoughts or predictions on this anyone??

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Who in the heck is going to be our right tackle today at Mile High?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    By Jim Thomas
    6) What about Harvey Dahl? Any chance we use him at RT, and let Chris Williams and Shelley Smith man the guard spots?
    I would say this is the best idea. Dahl has some experience at RT and is miles better than Nsekhe, who's looked horrible. Let Shelley Smith and Chris Williams take the OG spots.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Saffold is going to need to step up and play the first half. He said he's good to go.

"Those reps are seriously important," Saffold said. "That's why I hope they lean toward putting me in for a little bit and then after that I can go from there. But I think the way we are taking it is a smart way. It feels completely stable now. I'm ready to go out and play again."

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Saffold is going to need to step up and play the first half. He said he's good to go.

"Those reps are seriously important," Saffold said. "That's why I hope they lean toward putting me in for a little bit and then after that I can go from there. But I think the way we are taking it is a smart way. It feels completely stable now. I'm ready to go out and play again."
    I dunno Rambos, no question the reps are important, but he's only had a couple of weeks to rehab - is it worth it to take that chance? Clearly he's the best we've got at RT when he's healthy, but throwing him in there after just two weeks seems pretty risky. If Fish thinks he's okay, then fine - but Fish is known for protecting his vets. I haven't heard any news on Fish's take. Saffold's saying he's good to go doesn't hold much water for me. Danny Amendola was always good to go in his opinion. Remember the dislocated elbow incident?

It will be interesting to see if Rodger takes the field tonight.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I dunno Rambos, no question the reps are important, but he's only had a couple of weeks to rehab - is it worth it to take that chance? Clearly he's the best we've got at RT when he's healthy, but throwing him in there after just two weeks seems pretty risky. If Fish thinks he's okay, then fine - but Fish is known for protecting his vets. I haven't heard any news on Fish's take. Saffold's saying he's good to go doesn't hold much water for me. Danny Amendola was always good to go in his opinion. Remember the dislocated elbow incident?

I think this is a risk. Better to keep him healthy for regular season. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Seriously, considering the season is a long one, I'd rather find out who else can be plugged in to replace the fallen as injuries are bound to happen. We ought to get an idea when the first team steps onto the field whom the brain trust thinks is that "man". If there is something to look for in this game three its that position and how well the defensive secondary plays. Keeping Bradford on his feet is primary, but containing the oppositions passing game will be clues as to how well the Rams can thwart Captain Kamp and Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Seriously, considering the season is a long one, I'd rather find out who else can be plugged in to replace the fallen as injuries are bound to happen. We ought to get an idea when the first team steps onto the field whom the brain trust thinks is that "man". If there is something to look for in this game three its that position and how well the defensive secondary plays. Keeping Bradford on his feet is primary, but containing the oppositions passing game will be clues as to how well the Rams can thwart Captain Kamp and Wilson
    Well .. The good news would be if we actually did find someone.

Conversely, the bad news would be we don't (find someone), and Sam gets injured.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree if he's not ready don't play him. That said we better stay in max protect then, don't want SB8 to get hurt due to some third string RT on the field. I hope Saffold can play a few series at least.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree if he's not ready don't play him. That said we better stay in max protect then, don't want SB8 to get hurt due to some third string RT on the field. I hope Saffold can play a few series at least.
    I think Rodger will be out there tonight. He's active.
    Rambos likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM