eldfan is offline Registered User

Who runs behind Steven Jackson?

Who runs behind Steven Jackson?
    by VanRam on Mar 4, 2009 6:49 AM CST in 2009 Off-Season 10 comments
    Here's something to parse at the water cooler this morning: what kind of running back should the Rams get to backup/split time with Steven Jackson?
    One need the Rams have to save wear and tear on feature back Steven Jackson. No. 39 has spent some time on the bench because of injuries; however, playing behind a wall of wet toilet paper for an o-line the past couple of years have, in my opinion, had a lot to do with that, except maybe for Jackson's ill-conceived notion to try and play against Arizona this season when his thigh wasn't 100%. Ideally, a number two back would complement Jackson's strengths and pick up enough carries to be something slightly more than a backup, mirroring the trend we're seeing in the NFL recently with the two RB systems, like Carolina.
    Jackson at 6'2" 235 lbs is a powerful runner who can move through traffic well and punish would-be tacklers, but more impressive is his ability to see the field so well, waiting for blocks and using his footwork and burst of speed to move the ball. How else could he rack up 1,000 yard seasons with the Rams recent o-lines? He's also one helluva pass catcher. Besides marginal pass blocking, the he lacks that open field acceleration of a true speed guy.
    So maybe a speedy guy, not quite the bruising runner that Jackson is. That seems to be the conventional wisdom on the twin runners philosophy. We thought we might have had that in Antonio Pittman, but he just doesn't seem to be quite at that level. Maybe he'll improve with better blocking.

Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State A workhorse, Ringer carried 390 times in his senior season. Not a big guy, but a decent all-around type who can catch passes. Could be a good third round pick up.
    Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty Small school haters beware, Jennings made a name for himself rushing for more than 1,500 yards...against other small schools. However, at 6'1" 235 lbs he could be a grinder for a change of pace back with the Rams. Third rounder...or later if the small school label sticks the wrong way.
    Jeremiah Johnson, RB, Oregon Besides having a cool-as-hell name (remember the movie?), Johnson ran for 1200+ yards this season after coming back from a knee injury in his junior year. He's small, 5'9" 208 lbs, but could still be a nice change of pace back. Probably a third rounder too.

:ramlogo:

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Who runs behind Steven Jackson?

[QUOTE=eldfan;278776]Who runs behind Steven Jackson?QUOTE]

The other teams defense!!!! It's called chasing.
    Semper Fi!

schut39 is offline Registered User

Living in Michigan and being a huge fan of Michigan State and Javon Ringer, I would love to see him become a Ram. He may not be very fast, but he can definitely get the job done. I think the real question though is who will be running in front of him...literally. We need to worry more about the FB position for any running back on our offense to be successful we need someone to block for them.

EDIT: I say we should grab him in the 3rd round maybe, until S Jax proves that he can stay in the game without injury, we will need a good back up.
    Last edited by schut39; -03-04-2009 at 05:48 PM.

maineram is offline Registered User

Adding another good back is a priority for this offseason, but I wouldn't count out Kenneth Darby who played pretty well when given the opportunity last year. He get's positive yards and is also a good pass catcher. I hope he is given a chance to show what he can do in this offense during training camp and preseason.

Not sure about leapin Leonard.............. He's got one year left on his contract and will need to take a BIG leap to stay on the team after the last cutdown.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Jackson will not be going anywhere unless the Rams can get a line that can run block, and getting a backup or change RB or even a fulback would be rather pointless. So who runs behind SJax isnt as important as who stands infront of him at this point

Still--there is hope that with the Rams new Center with hope more to come in terms of guards/tackles, the Rams can look at either another RB or a FB. Still a speedy, pass catching RB would be nice to think of--I here Chargers might have just the person available

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    Adding another good back is a priority for this offseason, but I wouldn't count out Kenneth Darby who played pretty well when given the opportunity last year. He get's positive yards and is also a good pass catcher. I hope he is given a chance to show what he can do in this offense during training camp and preseason.

Not sure about leapin Leonard.............. He's got one year left on his contract and will need to take a BIG leap to stay on the team after the last cutdown.

Maineram -
    Your right about Darby..I dont think we got to see all he could do, but we certainly were able to see that he does have some of the similar attributes that Jackson is known for like catching, and getting yards when needed. Hopefully Darby breaks out this season i would really like to see more of him.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I liked what I saw out of Darby last year as well, and he wasn't bad on kick returns either in limited time. I remember also he broke out with 80 receiving yards in one game! I'd love to keep him as our 2nd back.
    I would also like to give Leonard one more shot this year. If he doesn't work out, than as said this is his last year on his contract anyway.
    Also, I know Jackson would love to run behind a big full back.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I was impressed with Darby last season. I was ticked off that Antonio Pittman was put in time and time again instead of Darby. IMO, Darby has some good elusiveness, is a strong runner, and has pretty good hands.

I think with more opportunities and playing experience, this guy could be a pretty solid running back.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I think we could draft a running back in the second round and still fill other needs in the rest of the draft. unless of course you want to go line first round, but i'm on the curry wagon(if we keep pace).i think we can wait til next year for OT. Shoot maybe we could find a guy in the third round, deep class right?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd be looking at a Corell Buckhalter type. He was invaluable in Philadelphia and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams look to employ a similar back.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Jackson will not be going anywhere unless the Rams can get a line that can run block, and getting a backup or change RB or even a fulback would be rather pointless. So who runs behind SJax isnt as important as who stands infront of him at this point

Still--there is hope that with the Rams new Center with hope more to come in terms of guards/tackles, the Rams can look at either another RB or a FB. Still a speedy, pass catching RB would be nice to think of--I here Chargers might have just the person available
    I respectfully disagree. Keeping Jackson healthy for a full season is critical in my mind. A big part of keeping Jackson healthy is the coaching staff feeling comfortable putting in who or whomever the back-up is during games to spell Jackson.

As far as Jackson not going anywhere without an improved O-line?

I think it's fair to say that the vast majority here at the Clan would have given our O-line from 2008 a grade of "D" maybe "F" by some?

Well behind that line in 2008. Jackson still put up some pretty impressive numbers.

STEVEN JACKSON

Stats for 2008
    -----------------
    Rushing: 254 attempts for 1042 yards. That's a 4.1 avg. with 7 TD's.

Receiving: 40 receptions for 379 yards. That's a 9.5 avg. with 1 TD.

Let's not forget he missed 4 games. So here's a look at the pro-rated numbers if he had played the entire 16 game season.

Rushing: 1389 yards

Receiving: 53 receptions for 506 yards.

That's close to 1900 yards of total offense.

In my opinion it's a combination of everything involved in running an NFL offense that will improve Jackson's play on the field. From giving the guy a chance to rest to a FB blocking for him to the WR's doing what they are supposed to be doing on a given play to a more efficient O-line. But no matter what the circumstances are STEVEN JACKSON is going to be effective.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Keeping SJax health is a major concern--and his nagging groin pulls are troubling. I've always avocated that with the Rams troubles on the O-line that they adopt a Split-back scheme for pass protection and option runs/draws and RB-flanker screens. A good 2nd RB or even FB would be a welcome addition--especially if the 2nd Rb would be a speedy little devil, like a W. Dunn

Still without a solid O-line, SJax isn't going far....the Rams need to get SJax pass the line into the secondary with a full head of steam where his size and strength can push safties & CB.

Get a good line infront of Jackson and the Rams will get a good return on their $44million RB