View Poll Results: Who should be the Rams Captains (choose one each - offense, defense, special teams)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offense: Steven Jackson

44 48.89%
  • Offense: Marc Bulger

41 45.56%
  • Offense: Jason Brown

8 8.89%
  • Defense: Leonard Little

24 26.67%
  • Defense: Will Witherspoon

43 47.78%
  • Defense: Ron Bartell

1 1.11%
  • Defense: O.J. Atogwe

28 31.11%
  • Special Teams: Donnie Jones

28 31.11%
  • Special Teams: Josh Brown

32 35.56%
  • Special Teams: Chris Massey

24 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Who should the Rams captains be?

This is a multiple choice quiz.

*PLEASE SELECT ONE OFFENSIVE CAPTAIN, ONE DEFENSIVE CAPTAIN, AND ONE SPECIAL TEAMS CAPTAIN*

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Who should the Rams captains be?

Bulger, Spoon and Donnie J. For QB, best LB (and possibly best defender), and the fact that he's the best punter in the league reasons, respectively.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger - If the QB isn't leading the offense, you got bigger problems than captain. But from what I see, Bulger is leading this unit.

Spoon - You would like to see the MIKE in this position, but with that guy being a rookie, Spoon makes more sense.

Massey - He's been anchoring the ST for now his 10th season. And most likely, he is one of the few, if not the only, player to be in on EVERY special team unit, and not a single offense or defense unit. This guy IS the special teams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

S-Jax- IMO he is the face of the new orginization. I think he can be the strong young passionate leader this team needs. I don't think Bulger has any of those qualities

Spoon- Second most tenured Rams defensive starter behind Little. Hes a strong leader and will definately produce when healthy

Chris Massey- hes on every special team

shower beers is offline Registered User

I voted for Little, who has been getting "little" love so far. hi-oh!

Seriously though, he's the veteran who should be oozing leadership at this point.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Bulger - If the QB isn't leading the offense, you got bigger problems than captain. But from what I see, Bulger is leading this unit.

Spoon - You would like to see the MIKE in this position, but with that guy being a rookie, Spoon makes more sense.

Massey - He's been anchoring the ST for now his 10th season. And most likely, he is one of the few, if not the only, player to be in on EVERY special team unit, and not a single offense or defense unit. This guy IS the special teams.
    Get out of my brain!!!! (I voted for the same three guys!)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Great minds think alike!

And in our case, not-so-great minds think alike.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Hey, great minds think alike(lol)
    For the record I agree with both of your guys.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I went with Bulger, Jakson and Atogwe. I know I was supposed to pick a special teams guy, but there's no way I was going to leave out Marc even though Jackson is our best offensive player.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Bulger / Spoon / Jones. For ST I was about to go with Massey but I don't know much about his leadership; not that I'm a good buddy of Jones to know he is a leader. I agree though, that Massey has been a quiet mainstay and consistent performer, an excellent LS.

Offense and D was easy choice for me.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

First I'd say the qualities that I want in a team captain are that he is obviously a very good player, one of the best on the team (which is why I never bought into Chavous as a captain) - as a player you should lead by example IMO. Secondly he should have been with the team for some time, say 3-4 years and up so he is established as a key part of the franchise, and not be too young either, say 25+ or so, generally, to command more respect. Obviously he should also be a leader personality-wise, not too timid to shout at guys when they're not pulling their weight, but also someone who is the first to congratulate the other players when they earn it.

I picked Steven Jackson for our offense - he's our best player, he has established that he can play at the highest level and I see in him a figher that will carry half the defense on his back to get that extra yard.

For the defense I selected Leonard Little, but on second thought I probably should have picked Will Witherspoon because Little may not even be on the team next year, and that kind of uncertainty would lead me to pick someone else. Witherspoon is the right choice.

For special teams the choice has to be Chris Massey for sure, and HUbison said all that needs to be said about that.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -08-04-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I went with Jackson on Offense, O.J. on Defense, & Brown on Special Teams!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I chose Jason Brown, O.J. Atogwe, and Donnie Jones.

While Brown is a new guy, he seems like a natural leader and has already assumed that role on the O-line. Bulger & Jackson seemed too obvious (though, maybe that means I should've chosen them ) and I like Brown's charisma. Plus, his imposing figure would frighten the other team's captains at the coin toss.

I went with Atogwe because, even though he's not the best player on the D, he is very well respected around the league. All reports say he has been a very vocal leader of this defense throughout training camp so far. He seems to have a passion for the game that many players lack.

Donnie Jones because he is simply the best punter in the NFL today.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Since it's an honor decided on by the players themselves, I don't have any idea who will be chosen. All the options seem like good ones.

I do have this interesting article to offer. Interesting that Philly did the weekly thing and the NYG had two each for defense and offense and one STs.So it's hard to say what Spags may do. Maybe also worth noting that Curry was a captain at least twice for The Raiders.

09/12/2008

“I’ll WEAR THE ‘C’ WITH HONOR”

Some have been reappointed. Others are new this year. They are all proud to be NFL captains.

In the second year of an NFL program that promotes the importance of team leadership through the role of captains, 28 teams have appointed season-long captains on offense, defense and special teams for 2008.

“Being appointed captain is one of the greatest accomplishments of my career,” says six-year Minnesota Vikings linebacker E.J. HENDERSON. “To be voted by your teammates as a captain, it’s special. I’m going to take it with pride and wear the ‘C’ with honor.”

Captains traditionally serve as a link between players, coaches and management to help foster cohesion within teams.

Teams appointing season-long captains -- 75 have been reappointed for 2008 -- qualify for up to six captains to wear the letter “C” on the upper right chest of their jerseys. Gold stars under the “C” indicate the number of seasons a player has been a captain for his present team.

The captains’ initiative originated with the NFL Player Advisory Council that was established in 2007 by NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL in conjunction with the NFL Players Association. The idea also has been strongly endorsed by NFL head coaches.

“Our captains are a great representation of the veteran leadership of our team,” says Cincinnati Bengals head coach MARVIN LEWIS. “The captains represent a diversity of positions, and we will be looking to these players for their professionalism in giving direction to the younger segment of our roster.”

While the emphasis is on the naming of season-long captains, four teams have elected to appoint their captains on a weekly basis.

“Team captains are a key element in building team leadership and enhancing communication between players, coaches and management,” says NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations RAY ANDERSON. “A perfect example of the benefit of this kind of communication is that the players themselves suggested the concept of re-emphasizing team captains.”

Following are the players appointed as team captains for this season:

2008 NFL TEAM CAPTAINS

TEAM/NUMBER OF CAPTAINS
    CAPTAINS (* Repeat captain with present team)

ARIZONA CARDINALS (5)
    Offense: QB Kurt Warner; G Reggie Wells; Defense: LB Karlos Dansby; Special Teams: S Aaron Francisco*, WR Sean Morey.

ATLANTA FALCONS
    Appointed weekly.

BALTIMORE RAVENS
    Appointed weekly.

BUFFALO BILLS (6)
    Offense: QB Trent Edwards, WR Lee Evans*; Defense: DE Chris Kelsay*, S Donte Whitner; Special Teams: P Brian Moorman*, S George Wilson.

CAROLINA PANTHERS (5)
    Offense: QB Jake Delhomme*, WR Muhsin Muhammad; Defense: LB Jon Beason, DE Julius Peppers*; Special Teams: K John Kasay*.

CHICAGO BEARS (5)
    Offense: C Olin Kreutz*, QB Kyle Orton; Defense: S Mike Brown*, LB Brian Urlacher*; Special Teams: LS Patrick Mannelly.

CINCINNATI BENGALS (5)
    Offense: WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, QB Carson Palmer*, G Bobbie Williams; Defense: S Dexter Jackson, LB Dhani Jones; Special Teams: Appointed weekly.

CLEVELAND BROWNS (6)
    Offense: QB Derek Anderson, C Hank Fraley*; Defense: LB Andra Davis*, LB Willie McGinest*; Special Teams: WR-KR Joshua Cribbs, K Phil Dawson*.

DALLAS COWBOYS (8)
    Offense: RB Marion Barber, WR Terrell Owens, QB Tony Romo*, TE Jason Witten*; Defense: LB Greg Ellis, S Ken Hamlin, LB Bradie James*; Special Teams: S Keith Davis*.

DENVER BRONCOS (4)
    Offense: QB Jay Cutler*, TE Daniel Graham; Defense: CB Champ Bailey*, LB D.J. Williams; Special Teams: Appointed weekly.

DETROIT LIONS (5)
    Offense: QB Jon Kitna*, C Dominic Raiola*; Defense: DT Cory Redding*, LB Ernie Sims*; Special Teams: K Jason Hanson*.

GREEN BAY PACKERS
    Appointed weekly.

HOUSTON TEXANS (5)
    Offense: WR Andre Johnson*, QB Matt Schaub; Defense: LB DeMeco Ryans*, DE Mario Williams; Special Teams: K Kris Brown*.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (2)
    Offense: QB Peyton Manning*; Defense: LB Gary Brackett*; Special Teams: Appointed weekly.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (5)
    Offense: QB David Garrard*, RB Fred Taylor*; Defense: CB Rashean Mathis, LB Daryl Smith, DE Paul Spicer*; Special Teams: Appointed weekly.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (4)
    Offense: G Brian Waters*; Defense: CB Patrick Surtain, LB Pat Thomas; Special Teams: S Jon McGraw*.

MIAMI DOLPHINS (3)
    Offense: QB Chad Pennington; Defense: DT Jason Ferguson, DE Vonnie Holliday. Special Teams: Appointed weekly.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS (3)
    Offense: G Steve Hutchinson; Defense: LB E.J. Henderson; Special Teams: K Ryan Longwell.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (8)
    Offense: QB Tom Brady*, T Matt Light, WR Randy Moss; Defense: LB Tedy Bruschi*, S Rodney Harrison, LB Mike Vrabel*, DL Vince Wilfork; Special Teams: LB Larry Izzo*.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (5)
    Offense: QB Drew Brees*; Defense: LB Scott Fujita*, DE Will Smith*; Special Teams: LB Troy Evans, RB Aaron Stecker*.

NEW YORK GIANTS (5)
    Offense: QB Eli Manning*, WR Amani Toomer; Defense: LB Antonio Pierce*, DT Fred Robbins. Special Teams: P Jeff Feagles*.

NEW YORK JETS (6)
    Offense: G Alan Faneca, QB Brett Favre; Defense: DE Shaun Ellis*, S Kerry Rhodes; Special Teams: LB David Bowens, RB Leon Washington.

OAKLAND RAIDERS (6)
    Offense: WR Ronald Curry*, QB JaMarcus Russell; Defense: CB Nnamdi Asomugha*, DE Derrick Burgess*, LB Kirk Morrison; Special Teams: P Shane Lechler*.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
    Appointed weekly.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (4)
    Offense: QB Ben Roethlisberger, WR Hines Ward*; Defense: LB James Farrior*; Special Teams: K Jeff Reed.

ST. LOUIS RAMS (5)
    Offense: QB Marc Bulger*, WR Torry Holt*; Defense: S Corey Chavous*, LB Will Witherspoon*; Special Teams: S Todd Johnson.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (5)
    Offense: QB Philip Rivers*, RB LaDainian Tomlinson*; Defense: S Clinton Hart, DT Jamal Williams*; Special Teams: WR Kassim Osgood*.

SAN FRANCISCO ***** (4)
    Offense: C Eric Heitmann*; Defense: CB Walt Harris*, LB Patrick Willis; Special Teams: RB Michael Robinson.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (6)
    Offense: QB Matt Hasselbeck*, T Walter Jones; Defense: S Deon Grant*, LB Lofa Tatupu*; Special Teams: LB Lance Laury, LB D.D. Lewis.

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (6)
    Offense: C Jeff Faine, QB Jeff Garcia*; Defense: CB Ronde Barber*, LB Derrick Brooks*, DT Chris Hovan*; Special Teams: S Will Allen.

TENNESSEE TITANS (5)
    Offense: C Kevin Mawae*, QB Vince Young*; Defense: LB Keith Bulluck*, DE Kyle Vanden Bosch*; Special Teams: P Craig Hentrich*.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS (6)
    Offense: QB Jason Campbell, T Chris Samuels; Defense: LB London Fletcher, DT Cornelius Griffin; Special Teams: LB Khary Campbell, RB Rock Cartwright.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-05-2009 at 01:43 PM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

O Captain: Steven Jackson
    I was considering Bulger, but this offense is made for Jackson, he is the focal point. His play will determine how the offense does. So even if he isnt officially captain, he will have to play like a leader.

D Captain: Will Witherspoon
    It was between Little and Spoon, but i went with Spoon as i think he is the defender out of the two that will be on the field every time the defense is.

St Captain: Chris Massey
    Because he has been here for years, he has been consistent and because he is on the field for every special teams play.

The thing is, with you being able to have two captains for each unit (i think), i wouldnt be surprised to see Bulger, Jackson, Spoon and Little all be captains of this team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast