View Poll Results: Who should be the Rams Captains (choose one each - offense, defense, special teams)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offense: Steven Jackson

44 48.89%
  • Offense: Marc Bulger

41 45.56%
  • Offense: Jason Brown

8 8.89%
  • Defense: Leonard Little

24 26.67%
  • Defense: Will Witherspoon

43 47.78%
  • Defense: Ron Bartell

1 1.11%
  • Defense: O.J. Atogwe

28 31.11%
  • Special Teams: Donnie Jones

28 31.11%
  • Special Teams: Josh Brown

32 35.56%
  • Special Teams: Chris Massey

24 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Who should the Rams captains be?

Weekly captains? Is it just me or does that sound pretty dumb? Dumping captains in the middle of the week, holding constant popularity contests and votes to elect new ones etc. how does it help to promote cohesion in a unit if the captains (potentially) change weekly? I hope whoever we pick will be picked for the season, weekly captains seem downright dumb to me.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If you look at the article presented by Azul, you will see why, though Jackson is our best player, Bulger will most likely be the O Captain (if only 1 were to be chosen). Only 3 team (Vikes, whiners, Chiefs) did not have their QB as a captain. Unless you're dealing with a rookie, or a QB roster full of backups, the team's QB almost HAS to be a captain.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If you look at the article presented by Azul, you will see why, though Jackson is our best player, Bulger will most likely be the O Captain (if only 1 were to be chosen). Only 3 team (Vikes, whiners, Chiefs) did not have their QB as a captain. Unless you're dealing with a rookie, or a QB roster full of backups, the team's QB almost HAS to be a captain.

Agreed. The nature of his position dictates that he is to be a natural leader, as he is directing the offense.

maineram is offline Registered User

Offense - Bulger
    Defense - Little
    ST - Massey

These are three players that should be leading as elder statesman, regardless.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

thoey is offline Registered User

Bulger - If the QB isn't leading the offense, you got bigger problems than captain. But from what I see, Bulger is leading this unit.

Spoon - You would like to see the MIKE in this position, but with that guy being a rookie, Spoon makes more sense.

Massey - He's been anchoring the ST for now his 10th season. And most likely, he is one of the few, if not the only, player to be in on EVERY special team unit, and not a single offense or defense unit. This guy IS the special teams.
    I agree 100%.

The QB has to lead the offense. If he doesn't, the offense is offensive.

Spoon is the grizzled veteran that the rest of the DEF respects (it appears).

For ST, I went with Massey as, well, who respects a kicker?

This space for rent...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

I voted Bulger, Spoon and Massey.

The QB HAS to be a captain. No, it's not about the best player, or the most valuable. It's about leadership. If the QB isn't a team's designated leader, well, Houston, we have a problem. Just because Bulger doesn't yell and scream doesn't mean he can't be a leader. Your leader must command respect in the huddle, and leads by hanging in there when things are tough, and doesn't make excuses when he screws up. Marc has done all of this. He took a beating last year and kept coming back. You have to give him credit for that, and the team must appoint him a captain.

Spoon on D, just because he's the vet back there, and he's proven his value and earned it. I can't vote Little because of issues that I have with his past, outside of football, and IMHO because of that, he's no leader.

Massey on ST because he's put in the time, and should be awarded the honor.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MB10HOF is offline Registered User

Bulger - If the QB isn't leading the offense, you got bigger problems than captain. But from what I see, Bulger is leading this unit.

Spoon - You would like to see the MIKE in this position, but with that guy being a rookie, Spoon makes more sense.

Massey - He's been anchoring the ST for now his 10th season. And most likely, he is one of the few, if not the only, player to be in on EVERY special team unit, and not a single offense or defense unit. This guy IS the special teams.
    You are absolutely correct with your estimation of Marc leading the ball club. IMO, MB10 should no doubtfully be handed the captain's role on offense.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I like the idea of co-captains on both offense and defense. Bulger, because he is supposed to be the leader, and Jackson because he is the vocal leader.

Witherspoon and Leonard Little make the most sense on defense. Massey's a good choice for special teams.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-11-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: No need to stir up trouble.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

I'm not convinced that either Bulger or Jackson possesses real leadership qualities, so it has to be Jason Brown on the offence. He is already making the right noises and seems set to play a major role for us.

Leonard Little has been there and done it all, so he should be the defensive captain; for the same reasons, it has to be Chris Massey on special teams.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Bulger-Easy enough he's the starting QB

Spoon-Like someone else said the MIKE is usually the D's leader, but given the fact he's rookie, Spoon makes more sense

Massey-The guy is a MACK on Special Teams and the best long snapper in the league, a very important and overlooked postion. Another no-brainer.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Defensively i think you should have put James Butler in instead of Bartell. This is Butler's 1st season with the Rams but he already has xperience with spags D.

Bulger should be the offensive captain as he is veteran QB.

I picked spoon cuz he is another veteran and was the captain last year

Massey on Special teams no brainer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12