DistantRam is offline Registered User

Who starts next week, then?

It's almost inevitable that there would be major repercussions to two consecutive blowouts, especially on this forum. While many people have their own particular scapegoat, I'm sure that everyone can agree that major changes need to be made both on the field and behind the scenes if the Rams are to start to progress and re-establish themselves as a force in the league.

Of course we, the fans, don't have any direct say in what goes on, but the main reason why fans' fora exist is surely so that we can opine on how things could be different. There's already an interesting thread by Frito asking what we would do if we were ever fortunate enough to own the Rams and there are other threads lambasting certain individual players; what I'd like to ask is what team would you put out next week, against the Seahawks, if you were responsible?

We'll assume, for the sake of the exercise, that everyone is fit and available for duty. Do you go with what we've got and hope that they gel better as they become more familiar with the Saunders playbook, or do you give youth its chance? Here's my team:

LT: Pace. Still the best tackle on our roster, full stop.
    LG: Bell. Let's hope that his hamstring recovers in time.
    C: Romberg. Hasn't let us down in the past; Leckey hasn't impressed.
    RG: Schuening. Was considered a steal by many after the draft; time to let him play. Cogs just sucks this year.
    RT: Barron. This is his last year to prove that he's not a bust; at least he didn't false start against the Giants. Greco is waiting in the wings, though...
    TE: McMichael. Obvious, really.
    WR1: Holt. No explanation needed. Burton can step in as possession receiver when Torry needs a breather.
    WR2: Avery. We need to stretch the field and Torry just hasn't got that electric pace any longer.
    QB: Bulger. I've never been a huge Bulger fan- I think that he's overrated by many on here- but he's still better than Green and Berlin.
    RB: Jackson. Just make sure that he gets more than eight carries in the first half...
    FB: Leonard. It's time for him to step up and show what he can do.

LDE: Little. Still going strong and provides much-needed leadership.
    UT: Ryan. Time to replace the ageing Glover, I'm afraid.
    NT: Carriker. I still think that it was a mistake to switch him from DE, but he has to man the interior for this year, at least.
    RDE: Long. Definitely one for the future.
    SLB: Culberson. Draft is getting on in years; time to look forward.
    MLB: Witherspoon. Obvious, really.
    WLB: Tinoisamoa. Ditto.
    CB1: Bartell. Has looked the best of a mediocre bunch so far.
    CB2: Manning, Jr. Brings some experience to the party; Wade, Brown and Hill can come in (in that order) when needed.
    FS: Atogwe. No real competition for his position, but he needs to brush up his act.
    SS: Johnson. Chavous is too old and simply hasn't got the legs any longer, while Condren is still very inexperienced. The latter could be groomed to replace Johnson in a year or two.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Who starts next week, then?

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    It's almost inevitable that there would be major repercussions to two consecutive blowouts, especially on this forum. While many people have their own particular scapegoat, I'm sure that everyone can agree that major changes need to be made both on the field and behind the scenes if the Rams are to start to progress and re-establish themselves as a force in the league.

Of course we, the fans, don't have any direct say in what goes on, but the main reason why fans' fora exist is surely so that we can opine on how things could be different. There's already an interesting thread by Frito asking what we would do if we were ever fortunate enough to own the Rams and there are other threads lambasting certain individual players; what I'd like to ask is what team would you put out next week, against the Seahawks, if you were responsible?

We'll assume, for the sake of the exercise, that everyone is fit and available for duty. Do you go with what we've got and hope that they gel better as they become more familiar with the Saunders playbook, or do you give youth its chance? Here's my team:

LT: Pace. Still the best tackle on our roster, full stop.
    LG: Bell. Let's hope that his hamstring recovers in time.
    C: Romberg. Hasn't let us down in the past; Leckey hasn't impressed.
    RG: Schuening. Was considered a steal by many after the draft; time to let him play. Cogs just sucks this year.
    RT: Barron. This is his last year to prove that he's not a bust; at least he didn't false start against the Giants. Greco is waiting in the wings, though...
    TE: McMichael. Obvious, really.
    WR1: Holt. No explanation needed. Burton can step in as possession receiver when Torry needs a breather.
    WR2: Avery. We need to stretch the field and Torry just hasn't got that electric pace any longer.
    QB: Bulger. I've never been a huge Bulger fan- I think that he's overrated by many on here- but he's still better than Green and Berlin.
    RB: Jackson. Just make sure that he gets more than eight carries in the first half...
    FB: Leonard. It's time for him to step up and show what he can do.

LDE: Little. Still going strong and provides much-needed leadership.
    UT: Ryan. Time to replace the ageing Glover, I'm afraid.
    NT: Carriker. I still think that it was a mistake to switch him from DE, but he has to man the interior for this year, at least.
    RDE: Long. Definitely one for the future.
    SLB: Culberson. Draft is getting on in years; time to look forward.
    MLB: Witherspoon. Obvious, really.
    WLB: Tinoisamoa. Ditto.
    CB1: Bartell. Has looked the best of a mediocre bunch so far.
    CB2: Manning, Jr. Brings some experience to the party; Wade, Brown and Hill can come in (in that order) when needed.
    FS: Atogwe. No real competition for his position, but he needs to brush up his act.
    SS: Johnson. Chavous is too old and simply hasn't got the legs any longer, while Condren is still very inexperienced. The latter could be groomed to replace Johnson in a year or two.
    Very well said, and I agree fully, especially with the starting offensive line moves, I'm not sure what the coaches are seeing during the week to keep them from making these moves. Weekly as I look around the league I see rookies starting on the OL all over.