Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who is stepping up with Amendola out?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Who is stepping up with Amendola out?

Other than the O-line what was the biggest problem with the spags era? the answer is every wide receiver not named Danny Amendola...Last year when he went down no one stepped up except when we traded for lloyd. The fisher era has improved this team alot but here is another test which receiver will take this opportunity?

Brandon Gibson?

-Gibson is our #1 outside receiver (amendola was the #1 target) he made a couple nice TD grabs early this season. And thursday night when bradford just could not complete a pass he trusted Gibby to beat his man on a quick slant...IMO this is Gibby's big chance to shine he has to beat his man on a consistent basis and really be that third down guy he needs to separate now; the challenge will be to face the best corner the opposing team has.

Steve Smith?

-As of now i feel as thou smith will be starting in the slot aand runnnig Danny's routes...He was great in NY a couple years ago...He showed a nice burst in running with the football vs. the skins lets see what he can do with Danny's routes

Austin Pettis?

-If you guys remember Pre-season Pettis was Bradfords go-to target in the redzone i believe for the dallas game. He had a great pre-season and he has been back from his suspension. The guy is a tall possession receiver; Bradford has had a history of his guys dropping his passes...If Pettis can show that he has reliable hands he is going to get the passes that Danny would get...But pettis has to hold on...This guy is a true wild card

Chris Givens?

-We all know what he has done so far...THe guy is a GAMEBREAKER and he knows his role...It would really benefit Bradford if he can get open more than once per game thou

Lance Kendricks?

-IMO even after the TD grab he is a huge disappointment...after that TD grab he did not have a single catch after and only 1 other target just bad...Bradford was great in college with his TE Gresham and in his first year he threw some nice TDs to Illinois mike even Billy Bajema had a couple good redzone TDs...Bradford needs a safety blanket now that Danny is down if kendricks cannot make an impact we need to find a new TE

Brian Quick?

-I knew the guy was not a #1 starter from day 1...But still he has tons of talent and potential...Now he is going to get some valuable playing time I wanna see this make an impact...I was a little disappointed in him for not interfering with the peterson INT thou...I am really looking forward to seeing him with playing time

So what do you guys will one (or more) of our receivers step up or are we going to have to pick up some one from the streets or trade?

I wanna see Pettis and kendicks step up because i was very high on both when we drafted them last year.
    Last edited by BarronWade; -10-07-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Thank You Bruce4life pointing out bajema

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Who is stepping up with Amendola out?

I hope Smith plays much better from the slot. That being said Sam needs to spread the ball around more going forward. Givens and Sam are starting to make plays each and every week that needs to keep happening. I hope Quick starts making some plays on a regular bases, week six is long enough to get a grasp of the offense.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Who is stepping up with Amendola out?

It was not Anthony becht 2 years ago( becht played on much crappier rams teams). The TE you are referring to was #47 billy bajema.

Onto the post itself. If in 2-3 weeks we are receiving no production from Steve smith and Pettis I would love to bring back in DA or maybe even plexico burress. We need guys who can be productive. This is Pettis's time to shine plain and simple.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    It was not Anthony becht 2 years ago( becht played on much crappier rams teams). The TE you are referring to was #47 billy bajema.

Onto the post itself. If in 2-3 weeks we are receiving no production from Steve smith and Pettis I would love to bring back in DA or maybe even plexico burress. We need guys who can be productive. This is Pettis's time to shine plain and simple.
    Yes it was Bajema...i couldnt remember his name an the only other TEs that came to mind were fendi and Becht Thank You

I think we all want to see DX in a Rams uniform again...hey he has had plenty of time to get healthy you never know

supachump is offline Registered User

I like Givens. But after watching the game a second time, he dropped and/or missed quite a few balls that seemed to be thrown right to him. He needs more time.

Gibson has over achieved at this point imo. He probably has hit his ceiling.

Steve Smith. I have no clue. I hope he can do something in the slot. Not sure about Pettis either. Hopefully he can get more catches. I'm excited about Quick. Pretty disappointed with Kendricks.

Our best chance is letting the youngsters grow. Givens, Quick and Pettis.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think it's really Quick that has to get something going. When you're practically a first round pick, there's an expectation that you'll be contributing in your first year. We drafted him because we need him on the field, plain and simple. Maybe he only comes out in certain packages with a reduced playbook, but the bottom line is that we need someone out there to catch passes. Gibson is going to be getting more attention now with no other perceived threats, so we need someone to take that pressure off.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    The fisher era has improved this team alot but here is another test which receiver will take this opportunity?
    I think it could be Pettis. He has the abilty to work the middle and find space like Amendola did, but as you mentioned, it's going to be about making the catches, meaning anything he can get his hands on.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

It needs to be Quick. I can't help but get excited every time I see him on the field, and with good reason. He's big, fast, and can soar through the air. It's only a matter of time before he becomes the starter.

JustSayin is offline Registered User

I would do it (step up) however my Sundays are full throughout February watching the Rams.

Seriously my answer is anyone Bradford throws the ball to or hands the ball off to or returns a punt should step up. They need to step up anyway even if Danny was not hurt. And I think they will. This is a scrappy bunch of players who do not believe that they are suppose to lose. The media has tried to explain it to them but it seems they are not listening. The Rams are on the rise they are not playing over their heads.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Gibson + Pettis = STEP UP!

The "In a perfect world" scenario for the Rams would be, of course, that all receivers be conscientious of their potential and responsibility in light of Amendola being out of order and truly STEP UP. I really think we have a good set of WRs, even sans Danny; 'nothing spectacular' goes without saying, but good -- even if unproven for the most part.

With four years under his belt Gibson is coming into his own and yes, he will get more attention. But Quick, and Pettis, our two biggest receivers should be able to start increasing production as well.

You pose a good, interesting question BW. As I said, I believe our WR corps is 'GOOD' and with Bradford's commitment to continue improving (which I think is heartfelt and in the works) the receivers will, by the same token, continue to be more productive in a role perhaps similar to this one...

1. Brandon Gibson
    2. Austin Pettis
    3. Brian Quick
    4. Chris Givens
    5. Steve Smith

-- -- -- --

Seriously my answer is anyone Bradford throws the ball to or hands the ball off to or returns a punt should step up. -- JustSayin
    That's what I was thinking as you were already posting.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-07-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: JustSayin quote
    JustSayin likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i'm hoping steve smith, i want him to get back, or at least be on track, to his pro bowl form, i think he can do it, just has to produce in the slot

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I think we all want to see DX in a Rams uniform again...hey he has had plenty of time to get healthy you never know
    Uh, I don't. He doesn't have good hands and is a walking MASH unit. No thanks, I'd rather give the younger guys already on the roster a chance.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm leaning towards Steve Smith but Pettis could play the slot also.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I really think it has to be Steve Smith. He's the veteran here, and if he can't outplay a second or first year receiver for the slot position then I have to wonder what he's even doing on the team.

If he can't step up, I would actually expect Pettis to make a nice slot receiver.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Come on ... LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN! Support Amendola.

In some posts here and in a couple of other closely related threads I've been reading that ALL receivers must AND ARE EXPECTED to step up. But it nevertheless remains interesting to see who will actually produce more per Schottenheimer, Fisher, and Bradford. And per the OL, yes.

So I revert to this thread by BarronWade to continue the question, to look into the Rams WRs quest and make Danny A. happy man.

Rams OC B. Schottenheimer

Last edited by RealRam; -10-11-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Coach Schottenheimer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast