NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Who will coach this team next year?

Jim Haslett's return next season is highly unlikely, barring some great football from the Rams over these last 7 weeks. But two guys who have been mentioned as desired candidates seem unlikely based on a couple of things I've heard and seen within the last day.

First, ESPN is reporting that Jim Fassel has sent a letter to Al Davis openly lobbying for the Raiders job next season. Whether Fassel just wants to work or is a masochist of the first order is unknown.

Secondly, on the NFL Network last night they did a piece on Marty Schottenheimer. He was sitting in his living room, playing with his grandkids and intently watching the Jets-Rams game- as you know, his son Kurt is the O-coordinator for the Jets, then watched Green Bay-Minnesota where his other son is employed. He spoke honestly about coaching for him "being a thing of the past", and how he is content with his body of work and now finds comfort watching his sons. Certainly, there are other coaches who have thought they were out of the game for good and came back, but Marty sounded sincere in his comments.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Who will coach this team next year?

If it was up to me, I'd give the Haz another shot. We beat the Skins, the Cowboys and stayed in the game with the Pats. We gave Linehan a shot after last season. I think the Haz deserves another shot given what we gave to Linehan.

It seems obvious as of late, that its the players and not the coaches....

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

In the case of Marty, I have made my opinion clear that I want him as our coach. I think that he would like to shake his tag as a "choker" in the postseason and would come back to a team given the opportunity. He is old, so would he come back to coach a team as bad as us? We'll see. It will have to be looked into.

As for Fassel, I would like to have a veteran coach lead us and his expertise is in offense so I would be fine with that. Could we get a better one? Sure. But it would be hard to lure them to St. Louis. The only rookie HC's I would consider are Spagnuolo and Schwartz, who both run a 4-3 defense meaning we wouldn't have to switch everything around and most importantly they have been effective doing it.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'd like to see Steve Spagnuolo. He seems to be able to fire up that Giants D. I'd love to see him be the head coach, but I wouldn't mind seeing Haslett as head coach for another season. We'll see how the rest of the year pans out because as of right now, it's difficult to say what we really need right now as far as a coaching issue is concerned.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ventesette is offline Registered User

I think that you have to see how the rest of the season shakes out before you count Haslett out. Sure the Jets game was a debacle, but the team was playing much better under him prior to that. See if they quit on him too.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Like Mooselini said, under Haslett we have been able to be competitive. So I say we give the guy another shot. He took over mid-season which is hard enough to do by itself. But taking over a team that has been created and molded by Linehan is really hard to fix. We can't expect him to compete with a team that was broken. He needs time to bring in his schemes and his players.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I have a couple guys on my list Spagnulo and Schwartz are nice, but how about Josh McDaniels Offensive coordinator for New England. Brady had that amazing year last year and Cassell is coming on under his tutelage. Coming from a 3-4 system even though he is an offensive guy he can bring over the 3-4 just like Ken Wisenhunt did. He currently tops my list. Their line hasn't been great neither has their running game, but they have still been getting done on offense. Another perk if he is hired Cassell also may come along with him.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Like Mooselini said, under Haslett we have been able to be competitive. So I say we give the guy another shot. He took over mid-season which is hard enough to do by itself. But taking over a team that has been created and molded by Linehan is really hard to fix. We can't expect him to compete with a team that was broken. He needs time to bring in his schemes and his players.
    He is the defensive coordinator it has been his scheme for years giving up 40 and 35 in the last 2 first halves is unacceptable we didn't even do that under Linny. Haslett made the majority of the defensive decisions and the defense has been just as terrible if not worse than the offense, so you can't put all the blame n Linny.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I have a couple guys on my list Spagnulo and Schwartz are nice, but how about Josh McDaniels Offensive coordinator for New England. Brady had that amazing year last year and Cassell is coming on under his tutelage. Coming from a 3-4 system even though he is an offensive guy he can bring over the 3-4 just like Ken Wisenhunt did. He currently tops my list. Their line hasn't been great neither has their running game, but they have still been getting done on offense. Another perk if he is hired Cassell also may come along with him.
    They said the same thing about Charlie Weis, I'm sure...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Any notion that the Rams have been competitive and have played hard under Haslett should be put to rest already. The performance against the Jets was horrific and they followed up that turd and Haslett's tongue lashing with another abysmal 19 point loss against a 2-7 football team that had lost 6 in a row. The Dallas and Washington games can be chalked up to a combination of a temporary energy felt after Linehan's dismissal and those teams not taking us seriously- end of story.

92 points surrendered in the last two games. Terrible.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Haz may be the only guy who would want to coach this team. Seriously, there will have to be some serious money offered for anyone to take on this joke of a team and I just don't see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Truth is offline Registered User

First let me say that I don't think any coach capable of making a real change would come to this team unless major changes occur in the FO.

I would be very upset if Haslett remained after this season. Coaching is about teaching. This staff gets failing grades. Haslett did a terrible job of coaching as the DC. We need to clean house and start over. That goes for players too. Everybody should now be in a position that they need to earn their job.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Hire Nick to run the draft room and Avenger to coach the squad. How much worse can our own guys do? Failing that, i hope chip sells the team and the new owners bring in Jimmy Johnson to coach the team and make the personnel decisions. Expensive? You bet. Results? Great shot. Barring that, i like the spagnola choice, but no matter who we get, we need a LOT better players, starting on the offensive line, or it isnt going to matter if we dig up vince lomabardi.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

btimsah Guest

I say NO on Haslett. This team cannot afford another mistake in this. These are the kinds of things that can get an organization mired in mediocrity for YEARS. We need to dump EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING NOT NAILED DOWN. LOL.

Rebuild starting with a NEW head coach not related to these problems. Someone from the outside who can make the decisions that need to be made.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Bill Cowher! Out of retirement! Exclamation Points!!!