MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Who will be our starting center ???

Do any of you have a guess as to who our starting center will be? I am thinking that the job is Romberg's to lose based on his play late last year. Andy would be a solid backup. Fry hopefully could back up both guard and center. Romberg hasn't been getting much love from the media or fans as of late. My prediction for the starting O-line is: Pace, Setterstrom, Romberg, Incognito, and Alex "Alzheimers" Barron.

Thoughts anyone?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Who will be our starting center ???

I agree Maui, Romberg and the young guys played well. I would think he has the edge going in.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-15-2007 at 06:24 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Same here. Brett Romberg filled in a tough situation last year after McCollum went down with the season ending injury and Incognito was being moved from C to G. Romberg answered the call and stood his ground.

This season I expect Brett at Center with Dustin Fry as depth along with Andy McCollum who could also play Guard if necessary.

Center position is strong with these three players (even Richie could be on standby there).

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I am going with McCollum,I dont' think he is going down without a fight and his experience with get him the starting nod, now I believe he will have a short leash, but I think he will be our starting center in the super bowl.

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

Romberg, hands down. McCollum is through and Dustin Fry is about to take his roster spot, IMO. The only way McCollum makes the team with his salary is if he is starting.

maineram is offline Registered User

I'm going with the vet McCollum. Romberg's time will come, but I don't think it's now. Don't discount what veteran leadership could mean in the middle of this line, with two young studs on each side of him.

Maineram -

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Maineram, you're again right on. And Andy's got a ring. Make em earn it.
    "The horror"

Drew is offline Registered User

Andy McCollum to start...to say that he`s done is a little premature!

i like Romberg and dont care that he has so called short arms...his play for us when he came in was good,but what McCollum brings to the table is greater at this point and aslong as his legs hold up then Romberg is more likely to see action at Guard than at Centre for next season anyway!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Prediction: I think McCollum starts the season, including training camp, as the starting center, but I also think there is a very high probability that he again will be injured. At that point, I think Fry will be pushing Romberg, and depending on where the Rams are at record wise and schedule wise, we could see the rookie.
    Semper Fi!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If it were up to me, here's what I would do, and I suspect Linehan would be thinking along the same lines:

McCollum has years of experience, and the knowledge of what any defense could do with any given formation. He knows the angles he must achieve to get the proper leverage to execute a play. He knows that a slight error on his (or anyone else's) part could not only result in a loss of yardage, but a possible season ending tragedy for a teammate or himself.

He also knows he is geting older, and soon it will be time to hang up the pads one last time.

Therefore, he has to establish his legacy. He doesn't want it all to end with an injury, or with a whimper. He wants to leave a lasting impression on the Rams organization.

He can do this in several ways. He can come out and kick butt, earn a starting spot, try to avoid a career-ending injury, and hopefully help the team to a championship, or;
    he can use his knowledge, experience, and leadership to teach the kids what he knows, and what it will take to be one of the best centers in the NFL. Teaching by example would be a part of this.

So, to compare:

McCollum

Good: Knowledge, experience, mindset, desire, on-field 'ESP', size, leadership, instincts

Bad: age-related 'slowdown' and injury probablity, years of films which show his style, missing most of last season.

Romberg

Good: Young, played 'lights out' last season, desire, adaptability, willingness to learn and please the coach, toughness, unknown quantity to oppnents, speed

Bad: limited experience, limited instincts, unknown 'connection' with other players, smaller than many centers

Fry

Good: Young, tough, adaptable

Bad: no NFL experience, unknown performance

Right now, it's a 'coin flip' between Romberg and McCollum. Both have the ability to play extremely well, and I will admit Romberg did a great job stepping in last year. From other threads on the Clan, I have read that Andy knows that the job is still up for grabs, and seems to be OK with the idea of competition for the position. He has said things that lead me to believe that he believes he could still be a major influence on the team in a backup role by teaching the kids. He knows that every one of the final 53 is a part of the team, and even if he isn't the starter, even if he never snaps the ball anywhere except practice, that he can help the team make it all the way or break it.

I'll guess that until training camp is over, Linehan won't name the starting center, but I'll bet it's Romberg - by a very slim margin.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I think Andy will start the season at center. I think before the end of the season, Brett will be starting. It is amazing that Brett didn't get drafted at all the year he came out. Nobody really needed a center that year. Let us hope that we do not have to see a "U" reunion with Brock Berlin - unless we are ahead in the 4th by 4 TDs.

I will be making three figures for Brett (The "U", Jaguars, and Rams) when I get to him on the list. Making his tattoos will be quite a challenge.

One other thing - you never know what players might stop in here. I have a couple of places with links to ClanRam on my myspace page. You never know when one of them might click it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post

Right now, it's a 'coin flip' between Romberg and McCollum. Both have the ability to play extremely well, and I will admit Romberg did a great job stepping in last year. From other threads on the Clan, I have read that Andy knows that the job is still up for grabs, and seems to be OK with the idea of competition for the position. He has said things that lead me to believe that he believes he could still be a major influence on the team in a backup role by teaching the kids.
    I'll guess that until training camp is over, Linehan won't name the starting center, but I'll bet it's Romberg - by a very slim margin.He knows that every one of the final 53 is a part of the team, and even if he isn't the starter, even if he never snaps the ball anywhere except practice, that he can help the team make it all the way, or break it.
    Good post first of all. I think you may have sold Brett a little short on the "instincts" part of it, but that's just my opinion, and we all know about opinions ... I think Brett has a decided edge in run blocking, and as far as pass blocking goes, in college he never allowed a sack throughout his entire career. I know -- this is the NFL -- but clearly he has good technique and wasn't getting Marc killed last year. So I'd call it a push as far as pass protecting is concerned between the two. The experience factor is obviously in Andy's corner. The "slim margin" I believe will be Brett's superior run blocking. Very good point about Andy being willing to help even if he doesn't start. Not many guys around the league are that selfless ...

majorram is offline Registered User

I,m really torn here, I just love what Romberg did in those last three games of the season, do we Stay with youth?? he is the future!! or do we go with experience with the two young guards next to andy.... tough... I say let the battle begin in training camp!!!

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Andy instantly makes the roster if he is healthy. Bar none he is our #1 backup at any of the three guard positions probably. With his long term experience unless his level of play has dropped off considerably I just don't see how he can't win the job.

There was a discussion after the draft on the radio that the Rams coaches weren't nearly as infatuated with Romberg as the fans. I'm guessing Fry is the Rams starter in 2 years but I'm not sure how that equates to being the backup this year.