r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Who Wins The Mild, Mild (NFC) West?

Who wins the mild, mild (NFC) West?

ROGER HENSLEY
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010

QUESTION: Looking at the remaining schedules for the Rams, Seahawks and Niners, which team do you think is poised to emerge as the NFC West champions and a trip to the playoffs?

JIM THOMAS

The Rams seemingly have the easiest route if you go by remaining schedule. But I'm going to hedge and say, the Rams win the division only if they beat Kansas City on Sunday. If they lose, it's San Francisco or Seattle.

BRYAN BURWELL

The mantra for the NFC West must be "First Team to Eight Wins." So with two of their three final games at home, the 6-7 Rams seem to have the edge.

But the team to me that everyone needs to be aware of is San Francisco. San Fran is basically one game away from elimination at 5-8, but if the ***** can win on the road in San Diego on tomorrow night, they can come into St. Louis next week with a chance of drawing even closer and putting all the pressure on the Rams going into the final week of the season in Seattle.

JEFF GORDON

The ***** have had the best team all along, but tough scheduling and suspect coaching have left them chasing. So the division is the Rams to win or lose. Home field was a big advantage for the Rams earlier this season and they need to exploit that now. The Chiefs will present a tough match-up if QB Matt Cassel plays, but the high stakes should bring the best out of Steve Spagnuolo's team. This is the franchise's biggest game in many years. The Edward Jones Dome should be rocking, with Chiefs fans coming in droves.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of "Sports Open Line" on KMOX)

Unfortunately I think it's Seattle. First of all, it looks to me like all three teams lose this week. Rams-Chiefs is a good matchup that may hinge on whether or not Matt Cassel plays but overall KC is a little further ahead of the Rams in the rebuilding process, so I think the Rams lose a close one. It's hard to see how the Seahawks could bounce back from a 40-21 drubbing at the hands of the Niners and beat the red hot Atlanta Falcons and it's just as tough to believe the Niners win in San Diego.

In Week 16 the Rams host the Niners in a game they should absolutely win. If you're going to win the division, even the weakest in football, you have to beat teams like this in your own house. With Frank Gore out they're certainly not the same caliber of team that beat the Rams in San Fran a while back. Seattle is at Tampa Bay in a game that sure looks like a loss from here, especially considering that Seattle is just as bad on the road as the Rams have been this year and Tampa will be fighting for a playoff spot.

Then we get to Week 17. By then I think the Niners are officially eliminated so it's all down to the Seahawks and Rams in Seattle. The winner takes the division because if Seattle wins they'll own the tiebreaker over the Rams (better divisional record if they win this game). Given the Rams' road struggles and the fact that the Seahawks are strong at home (4-2 right now), it seems like the Seahawks win both the game and the division.

Obviously things could go differently but this is how it all looks from my vantage point.

BILL COATS

The Seahawks by far have the toughest schedule; their three remaining foes have a combined record of 25-14. Plus, Seattle plays two of those three games on the road. The ***** also have two away games, but their foes are just 17-22. The Rams have two home games left, and their opponents are 19-20. I like the Rams' chances.

KATHLEEN NELSON

I think San Francisco could be out of the picture after this week. The Chargers (7-6) are hot, as they usually are in December, and playing in San Diego seems a big ask for the Niners, who could fall to 5-9.

The Seahawks face a really tough task against Atlanta (11-2). If they lose, the Rams will be in first, technically, whether or not they beat the Chiefs.

The next week (Coach Spags, please forgive me for looking ahead), the Rams should have an edge over San Fran at the Ed, and the Seahawks have to battle the transcontinental jet lag in Tampa Bay.

Best case for the Rams: the final game is meaningless. Worst case: they'll still control their own destiny. I say the Rams have the edge.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Who Wins The Mild, Mild (NFC) West?

Why does everyone come like a loss is so predictable, and that we MUSt lose this weekend? Who the hell came up with that mentality?

So, hmmm.. let me guess... If we cant beat KC this year, we wont be able to beat them year after that after that after that?

NONSENSE!!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I think we've established already that even now the reporters who cover the Rams have absolutely zero faith in them.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Here is how I see it. In order to not put pressure on ourselves next week we need to make a statement game against Chiefs and win. Niners will lose and therefore practically eliminated. They will quit on their coach and the following week's game in the Lou will be much easier for us. We win that one as well and win the division because Seattle will lose both of its game against the NFC South opponents.

That way we give our starters the much needed rest in week 17 and get ready for the playoffs where I would like to see us face the Saints. I think we can beat them, plus upsetting the Super Bowl Champions will be a huge boost going forward.

Truth is offline Registered User

While I don't think losing against KC will mean we don't win the division, I think it's a very important game for the Rams. I believe every other team in the West loses this weekend. If I'm right, we take a game lead. It's not a lot., but it is some breathing room. The team also needs to have a good game after last weeks poor showing.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

KATHLEEN NELSON

I think San Francisco could be out of the picture after this week. The Chargers (7-6) are hot, as they usually are in December, and playing in San Diego seems a big ask for the Niners, who could fall to 5-9.

The Seahawks face a really tough task against Atlanta (11-2). If they lose, the Rams will be in first, technically, whether or not they beat the Chiefs.

The next week (Coach Spags, please forgive me for looking ahead), the Rams should have an edge over San Fran at the Ed, and the Seahawks have to battle the transcontinental jet lag in Tampa Bay.

Best case for the Rams: the final game is meaningless. Worst case: they'll still control their own destiny. I say the Rams have the edge.
    This gal Kathleen Nelson Name:  94641279.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  4.1 KB knows her stuff! Like her analysis!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Also...she's not cynical.

macrammer is offline Registered User

To beat KC, we need to stop their running game. Not exactly our strength. We will be at home but this will be a tough grind it out game. If we can play flawlessly (like we did in AZ with only 2 penalties and 0 turnovers) then we have good chance. We can beat Sf and frankly should have a few weeks back. Those are the games we need with a little help from SD, Atlanta and TB

The key to all of this is beating KC sunday.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Kansas City's running attack is no threat to us, in fact its an advantage. We have a passing attack and gain large chunks of groud always leave mass amounts of time on the clock. We will be relying on Kansas to kill the clock so we are not there all day beating thier buts.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    While I don't think losing against KC will mean we don't win the division, I think it's a very important game for the Rams. I believe every other team in the West loses this weekend. If I'm right, we take a game lead. It's not a lot., but it is some breathing room. The team also needs to have a good game after last weeks poor showing.
    It just gives us momentum that would be ideal. I really, really want to see us beat the Chiefs. No excuses.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I think we've established already that even now the reporters who cover the Rams have absolutely zero faith in them.
    Well, they've all built up three years of losing as a defense mechanism, so blind faith won't exactly come back overnight, but I think we're getting there! At least they're predicting wins now.