Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Who would you rather have to start the 2008 season

Bulger or Warner?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Who would you rather have to start the 2008 season

Edgerrin James!

Oh, whoops. Wrong lopsided poll.

It has to be Bulger. Fitter, stronger, younger, better supporting cast, better OL, arguably. And not in competition with our good friend Beerbong Leinart.

skelley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Edgerrin James!

Oh, whoops. Wrong lopsided poll.

It has to be Bulger. Fitter, stronger, younger, better supporting cast, better OL, arguably. And not in competition with our good friend Beerbong Leinart.
    I'm not sure about that. I'd take the Cards' WRs over our's any day. Marc didn't look too fit last year, nor did the o-line. I'm not sold on Bulger. If it were just about THIS season......I take Warner. If it's about the next 3-4 years I'd have to go with the younger QB.

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Fitter, stronger, younger, better supporting cast, better OL
    Surely the original question posed is in relation to the Rams? That being the case, wouldn't the supporting cast and OL be the same?

I know that HUbison posted a detailed defence of Bulger in the "Franchise choice" thread the other day, but Warner showed last season what he can still do with a healthy line to protect him. I'm not as sold on Bulger as many here seem to be (as I said in that thread, Marc is a solid QB but nothing special) and I'd love to see Warner back here for a year or two while we draft and groom a new QB for the next generation.

skelley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    I'm not as sold on Bulger as many here seem to be (as I said in that thread, Marc is a solid QB but nothing special) and I'd love to see Warner back here for a year or two while we draft and groom a new QB for the next generation.
    bingo!

Dead on agreement.

chipperjones Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I'd take the Cards' WRs over our's any day. Marc didn't look too fit last year, nor did the o-line. I'm not sold on Bulger. If it were just about THIS season......I take Warner. If it's about the next 3-4 years I'd have to go with the younger QB.
    This isnt about what WRs or O line youd take.

skelley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    This isnt about what WRs or O line youd take.
    Oh really? I was responding to someone's coments about those topics. How about an answer rather than smug remarks.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think he's just trying to keep the thread from being derailed.

I'd still take Bulger not least because we don't have a different quarterback-in-training for the future. In my opinion, a guy like Jon Kitna, Byron Leftwich (when healthy),or Jake Delhomme is what I'd qualify as "solid". I think Bulger is better than that. Bulger is not Warner in his prime, but Warner hasn't been Warner in his prime since about 2001. Few quarterbacks ever achieve that level.

In my opinion, Bulger is still a top 10 guy but not exactly on track for the Hall of Fame at the moment. This last season was an anomaly, as Bulger did not display his usually impressive precision. His arm strength might not be considered a true strong suit, but neither is it prohibitive. He has proven accurate at short, medium, and long passing routes. In fact, this team used to be known for using a higher-than-average number of intermediate and deep routes back in the Martz days. He has a quick release and traditionally has made good decisions--again 2007 was uncharacteristically bad in that department.

It always surprises me how easy some folks on this board seem to think it is to find a star quarterback. The question here might as well be: Would you rather bank on the future success of Bulger as a quarterback or roll the dice on just any other quarterback coming out of the college ranks?
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -06-15-2008 at 01:41 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This is a coin flip for me with all the different variables and uncertainties, but Warner in the last 8 games of 2007 when he got into a groove as the starter for Arizona looked like Warner in his prime IMO. Extrapolate his numbers in those 8 games to a full season and it more than stacks up to what he did when he was a perennial MVP.

Last 8 Games of 2007:

199 of 309 for 2362 yards, 64% comp pct, 21 TD's, 12 INT's, 95.5 rating

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    It always surprises me how easy some folks on this board seem to think it is to find a star quarterback. The question here might as well be: Would you rather bank on the future success of Bulger as a quarterback or roll the dice on just any other quarterback coming out of the college ranks?
    I don't think that anyone here is naive enough to think that star quarterbacks grow on trees. However, there is a bigger difference between an absolutely top-drawer QB (Marino, Montana, Elway, Warner in his heyday) and those at the top of the second tier than at any other position in the game. Now, I know that someone will probably point out that Bulger's career QB rating (88.1) is higher than Marino's (86.4), Elway's (79.9) or Brett Favre's (85.7) but who can honestly say that they would have confidence in Marc leading the team down the field to win a play-off game deep in the fourth quarter? Bulger will never be a top-class QB: he's very good but will never be great.

Of course, it isn't essential to have a great QB and having one is no guarantee of success (how many Superbowls did Miami win with Marino?) but having one can make the difference. Given that there are some very interesting QB prospects in line for the 2009 Draft (as well as the obvious ones, like Tebow and Stafford, there are potential talents such as Longshore and Painter bubbling under), it could be that we draft a QB prospect next year.

If that's the case, my answer to your closing question is that I'd prefer to take a chance on one of the 2009 class becoming a better quarterback than Bulger; ideally, I'd have Kurt back to mentor our new prospect, too.
    Last edited by DistantRam; -06-15-2008 at 02:50 PM.

skelley Guest

My biggest problem with Bulger is he's good at moving the ball, but not the score. Between the 20's he's top shelf. In the red zone he's mediocre at best.

In the red zone he's mediocre at best.
    Although the Rams lack of offensive success the last few years doesn't help, this is a misconception that is often made. Bulger has been stellar in the red zone his entire career and the stats prove it. I've posted what he's done in the red zone numerous times when this issue comes up, and I'll do it again.

2007 - 64.7 Comp % / 9 TD's / 2 INT's / 88.8 Rating

2006 - 59.5 Comp % / 21 TD's / 0 INT's / 108.1 Rating

2005 - 63.6 Comp % / 19 TD's / 6 INT's / 114.1 Rating

The rest of his career red zone numbers are just as impressive and can be found in his NFL.com player profile situational stats.

skelley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Although the Rams lack of offensive success the last few years doesn't help, this is a misconception that is often made. Bulger has been stellar in the red zone his entire career and the stats prove it. I've posted what he's done in the red zone numerous times when this issue comes up, and I'll do it again.

2006 - 59.5 Comp % / 21 TD's / 0 INT's / 108.1 Rating

2005 - 63.6 Comp % / 19 TD's / 6 INT's / 114.1 Rating

The rest of his career red zone numbers are just as impressive and can be found in his NFL.com player profile situational stats.
    Stats aside......it sure doesn't seem like we've scored many TDs during the "Bulger Era". FG after FG.

Stats aside......it sure doesn't seem like we've scored many TDs during the "Bulger Era". FG after FG.
    That may be, but you certainly can't blame it on Bulger. He's consistently performed at his best in the red zone and been anything other than mediocre.

DistantRam Guest

Some interesting and useful stats there, r8rh8rmike. I agree that some people tend to be too derisory about Bulger's perceived lack of effectiveness in the red zone and those figures prove that he does well there. However, my concerns about him are centred more on his leadership abilities and his mental toughness when it's "backs to the wall" time.

Getting back to the main topic of this thread, it's interesting to note that Warner's red zone figures last year read:

58.3% pass completion, 20 TDs, 1 int, 98.3 QB rating

Compare that with Bulger's
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    and you'll see that Kurt fared the better last year, suggesting that (as you pointed out earlier in the thread) Warner was back to somewhere near his best once he got back in the groove last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast