throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AlphaRam Guest

Re: Who would you rather have to start the 2008 season

I don't think this is a valid poll without Tony Banks as a choice.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

To me the biggest difference between the two is sacks and turnovers. Bulger the last couple of seasons has gotten shelled by even the worst defenses. Warner also got blown up the years he was still with us after the Pats cheated and never regained his SB form. but the turnovers(fumbles and Int's) were a part of Warners game that i never really thought he had control over. So, give Bulger a line that can give him some time to set his feet and i think he's the better qb. Silent but deadly....Bulger.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Getting back to the main topic of this thread, it's interesting to note that Warner's red zone figures last year read:

58.3% pass completion, 20 TDs, 1 int, 98.3 QB rating

Compare that with Bulger's

2007 - 64.7 Comp % / 9 TD's / 2 INT's / 88.8 Rating

and you'll see that Kurt fared the better last year, suggesting that (as you pointed out earlier in the thread) Warner was back to somewhere near his best once he got back in the groove last year.
    Warner had great red zone numbers last year, but what makes Bulger's 2007 stats so impressive to me is the fact that he was able achieve them despite a chaotic OL that gave him virtually no protection and no time. It's even more impressive when you take into account the injuries to guys like Jackson, Holt, Bruce and Bennett, and the fact that he himself played with broken ribs most of the year.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Bulger or Warner?
    Warner. He's proven to be more durable. I think Bulger is one hit away from retirement.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

This thread sucks without a poll. Bulger. A thousand times Bulger.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

rampower is offline Registered User

Sorry but no contest bulger.

If this was a popularity, have 99 warner back poll then I would choose Warner.

mh-i, for the sake of the franchise I hope your wrong. If thats the case, we are 2 hits from 3rd string qb time. Saying that, isn't everyone? Just depends on the type of hit. Anybody can be one hit from retirement. To be fair I think Marc soaked up a hell of a lot of hits last year and is still there today.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    Stats aside......it sure doesn't seem like we've scored many TDs during the "Bulger Era". FG after FG.
    Stats aside, the final score of every game is 0 - 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam
    I know that HUbison posted a detailed defence of Bulger in the "Franchise choice" thread the other day, but Warner showed last season what he can still do with a healthy line to protect him.
    Quite true, Distant, but this is a much different question. I do believe the Rams did the right thing for the time period 2003 to now. But as for who is better in the isolated environment of 2008........hmm.

The Kurt Warner of 2007 was a stud. Looked like the GSOT Warner, and I admit, part of me smiled. Not when he was kicking the dog out of the Rams, but otherwise....

However, he had a lot more to work with than Bulger (or any Rams QB for that matter), so I'm not sure if we can make a solid comparison with all the variables involved. The Cards line and skill positions were just a whole lot better than the Rams in 2007 (that has to be one of the signs of the apocalypse).

It's a tough question, but for the sake of consistency, I would have to go with Bulger, if he has regained faith in his line.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12